Curious if you're dealing with stuff you can't get?

Dolebludger

Reaction score
And what is the deal about people drawing unemployment instead of working? Having once lived in Oklahoma, I am no stranger to drawing unemployment due to "oil busts". When I was on it, I was required to submit a weekly list of places where I had applied for a job. If I didn't do so, no pay! And the state unemployment office actually checked on my report! Is this not the case now?

PeteK

Reaction score
And what is the deal about people drawing unemployment instead of working? Having once lived in Oklahoma, I am no stranger to drawing unemployment due to "oil busts". When I was on it, I was required to submit a weekly list of places where I had applied for a job. If I didn't do so, no pay! And the state unemployment office actually checked on my report! Is this not the case now?
I think there is still some requirement, but it's always been an easy work around for people that want to scam the system. Just apply for jobs that you are unqualified for. "I applied for the position of CEO of Disney, but they went with someone else". But with 10 million people unemployed, I really doubt they are even checking right now.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll just say this... It is not as much lack of understanding economics which is a result. Rather it is more inability to assess and evaluate, total inability to consider and understand cause and effect in any steps past 'fire is hot', total absence of logic, barely two somewhat functioning IQ points to rub together, and if it were not for instinct, they'd be toast. "Manufactured Bufords. ". Think it out.
The youngest in my carpool when I was in middle school... she was probably 2nd grade.
She pronounced that if she were President, everything would cost a nickel.
So we ran with it.
By the time we got to school, she fully understood that nothing would be affordable if every nail and screw in every home cost a nickel.

The current generation and social leadership has not yet progressed to this level of understanding.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
California hasn't actually checked in decades.
I was out of work for 9 months in 2009 and not once did I actually have to list where I had looked for work.
I just had to check the boxes that I had not worked, refused work, and that I looked for work.
The last time I was on EDD before that was the late 80s and we had to list who we checked/applied for, but I doubt they actually checked.
Today, there's no way they would be able to actually verify them all.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that it is racist to ask people on unemployment to look for work.*

*This is not an opinion regarding the race of people on unemployment. Rather it is just a general comment about how f*cked up our ruling class and PC culture have become.

mdittman

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that it is racist to ask people on unemployment to look for work.*

*This is not an opinion regarding the race of people on unemployment. Rather it is just a general comment about how f*cked up our ruling class and PC culture have become.
I've been out of work since last March (2019). Here in California if you are laid off duty to the pandemic and you have a job to go back to when things open up again you don't have a requirement to look for work. I would be more than willing to work as long as I could make roughly the same as I did before all this but at 62 I'm damned if I'm going to work for minimum wage, especially in California. I couldn't even afford to pay rent and eat unless I shared my small 1 bedroom apartment and gave up driving. I don't like being unemployed and worked my whole life. I wouldn't be opposed to a work requirement to receive the assistance. Maybe something that could help in the community. In the end I'm making about the same as I did before all this started.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of that was tossed out last year. All you had to do was say you were scared. A lot of those are still in place. I would think that ride is about to run outta gas.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I've been out of work since last March (2019). Here in California if you are laid off duty to the pandemic and you have a job to go back to when things open up again you don't have a requirement to look for work. I would be more than willing to work as long as I could make roughly the same as I did before all this but at 62 I'm damned if I'm going to work for minimum wage, especially in California. I couldn't even afford to pay rent and eat unless I shared my small 1 bedroom apartment and gave up driving. I don't like being unemployed and worked my whole life. I wouldn't be opposed to a work requirement to receive the assistance. Maybe something that could help in the community. In the end I'm making about the same as I did before all this started.
I'm not taking issue with those receiving benefits. If my ex wasn't getting unemployment, I'd be giving her even more money than I already am. Individuals have to put their own self interests at the top of the priorities list. Why shouldn't individuals select the path with the best outcome available?

My issue is that via policy the govt is getting in the way of the economy.

pnuggett

Reaction score

The requirement to actively look for a job in order to collect AZ state unemployment was waived when the pandemic hit. Then the Fed added $600.00 per week. Our Governor just announced that it will be put back into effect by end of the month I think. Employers couldn't get people back to work as things have been picking up. It's kind of hard to blame someone when they are making more money sitting at home than they would be working but it's time to get off their asses now.

Last edited:

Petergrifindor

Reaction score
For work, vynil gloves are hard to find and the price has risen 300%.

Other than that, I find the lack of new Xboxs infuriating.

Last edited:

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Market update

KETCHUP PORTION CONTROLLED (PC) PACKET & BOTTLED KETCHUP SHORTAGE

Currently, Heinz is unable to keep up with increased demand for supplier brand PC ketchup packets and bottled ketchup. Demand on Heinz PC ketchup is up 50-60%; Heinz bottled ketchup is seeing 60-70% fill rates due to plastic bottle shortages related to resin shortages caused by the Gulf coast freeze in February.

SHORTENING/OIL SHORTAGES

The industry is severely constrained due to a shortage of oil refinery capacity and refined oils from all seed types.
The main driver is refined oil is diverted to a greatly expanded biofuels demand. All awarded suppliers have initiated allocations of all oil items (soybean, canola, peanut, and oil blends) in our assortment (Cargill, Bunge, Ventura and Stratas).

BEEF

The tight supplies continue in the Beef market driven by demand at all-time high.
Packers are struggling with the increased demand. Watch for price increases and some availability issues, particularly with middle meats.

FRESH CHICKEN

Constrained supply of fresh chicken continues while demand increases.
Supply constraints continue as suppliers still lack the availability of market ready birds and labor to produce all products while demand spikes for fresh chicken.

SEAFOOD

Containers are short in Asia, causing massive delays; lead-times have doubled in as little as 3 months. All ports are experiencing delays due to lack of workers unloading the containers from vessels, causing imported shrimp shortages.

pnuggett

Reaction score
Chlorine for pools is in short supply and price is going up.

motowntom

Reaction score
My man, you need to find a way out of Cali. at your age you need to get out before you retire, otherwise....Soylant Green.
Cheers

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My man, you need to find a way out of Cali. at your age you need to get out before you retire, otherwise....Soylant Green.
Cheers
Yep... one of my dumber moves was when I was laid off in 2009, I stuck around and drained my savings.
Found a job with only about 2 months left in the bank.
Had I known in July that I'd still be looking for work in December, I'd have cashed out the 401k and bugged out to Austin.

Stuck here now, tying to hammer down my debt, but realistically, I'm going to be stuck here through probably 2 more real estate cycles. Fortunately, my job is stable long term.

lunchbox

Reaction score
Does sex count?

Not cool to rub salt in the already deep wounds of us married guys, pop.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ketchup shortage?.... really?

I don't understand some of these shortages.

Latest Threads