Curious if you're dealing with stuff you can't get?

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've heard they make more collecting unemployment and are refusing to go back to work.
I heard that they are getting a net $600 / week on unemployment out here, plus big amounts of food stamps.

A lot of them would never get that in the workplace, so it's more lucrative for them to stay home and just rake it in.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
2 basic laws of economics:

A. People do more of something when the reward increases. When you subsidize something, you get more of it.
B. People do less of something when the penalty or cost increases.

Or put another way:

When you subsidize something you get more of it, when you tax/penalize something you get less of it.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard that they are getting a net $600 / week on unemployment out here, plus big amounts of food stamps.

A lot of them would never get that in the workplace, so it's more lucrative for them to stay home and just rake it in.
A year ago, between California and the Federal bump, they were getting as much as $1200 per week.

$1200 per week.

That's effectively $30 per hour, and it's only partially taxable, no SDI or SSI.

$1200 per week.

I could fucking retire on $1200 per week.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow. Just..wow. No wonder nobody wants to work.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Just..wow. No wonder nobody wants to work.
Ya, the Federal bump was a flat $600, so that was basically $15/hr on top of California's regular payments.
When I was out of work in 2009, my benefit was $400/wk, and at the time that $400 was based on a cap of $60k gross. I was making closer to $90k, so the cap was a "gimmie"

But even at $400, since it wasn't taxed and there were no deductions, I would have had to find a job at $17/hr to make my take-home equal to the benefit.

So I sat on my ass, did handyman work for friends, and waited for a job to open up that paid $60k.

Currently, California's benefit hasn't changed, and the Federal bump dropped... I really don't know where it is now, but the lack of fireworks in Chino every night tells me it's a lot less than $600

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
Lumber is crazy right now.

Thankfully, there's plenty of uranium.
Uh Oh. The U word is being monitored by the NSA.

Peek out the curtains...any black helicopters or drones
hovering around your window?

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Bicycles. I wanted a Trek 520 touring bike. I went to my local bike shop which normally stocks hundreds of bikes and they had maybe 20 o 30 bikes. All of which were extremely expensive models or odd sizes. I ended up buying a 1981 Raleigh Super Course instead. I added new wheels and all new components so that it is essentially a new modern bike. Now I have $1000 dollars in a bike that's 40 years old.
Wife and I have Trek 820 and 830 that are over 20 years old. They’re really nice bikes.

six-string

Reaction score
Planning a trip to visit family in Illinois in the next month or two. Checked car rentals. Wow! They are pushing 100 bucks a day if you can get one. The car rental agencies sold off a huge chunk of their inventory when travel all but stopped last year. Now people are travelling again and it's a classic supply and demand situation. Looks like it could go on for quite a while with the unavailability of new vehicles.
Yeah and they burned a lot full at the airport in Florida if I remember too?. One way to get rid of surplus inventory. The car sales and rental biz is one of the biggest rackets ever invented. Prove me wrong.

six-string

Reaction score
Shipping containers prices have gone through the roof with six fold price rises as there's a shortage of empty containers.
My local garden centre ran out of Irish compost a month ago & still say it'll be another six weeks before they can get any delivered. :shock: Growing seasons going to be over with before we see any.
That's funny because even my Irish friends admit they are full of....compost !

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
My local garden centre ran out of Irish compost a month ago & still say it'll be another six weeks before they can get any delivered. :shock: Growing seasons going to be over with before we see any.
Serious question lanc...

You love your gardening so why not make a weekend of it and drive to Ireland and load up the SUV? A fun outing for you and Mrs l and you get your compost in time for growing season.

cheers.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Far as jacked prices go, I can't help but think that since there indeed a logistics issue, people have taken advantage and seized an opportunity with something to blame it on. Very clever.

Shipping prices on a lot of stuff are just out of control.

I bought a korina neck blank for $72.00. The site has its shipping prices posted so you can see it before you settle on an order. For under $100 in purchase, the UPS shipping is to be around the $18.00 mark within the continental US.

Yet the shipping for my blank (3x3x36, well within parameters) was $29.00.

So, what's up with plywood?

Most of it comes from the PNW or down in the Southern states.

It goes to a mill. It gets processed, laminated and glued.

It goes on rail, then to trucks, then to outlets.

Where is the breakdown?

It's not rail. I live right next to the railroad tracks that serve as a conduit between East and West. 2 tracks. They are busier than all get-go. Plus an added Union Pacific from the North on those tracks to LA, as well as the usual BNSF.

I can look right out my window and see plenty of plywood and other lumber on those trains.

Trucks? I 40 is clogged with them.

There are at least 10 housing developments going up within a 2 mile radius of my house right now. Each of these new neighborhoods has dozens and dozens of homes being built. Multiply this by hundreds over the southwest. This is where all that lumber you see is going.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We recently did a very modest price increase. Less than I should have done. Most have been “what took you so long” and very understanding. Had a guy twist off on me tonight. Usually I would have been Mr Professional. I pretty much got in this guy’s face and twisted off on him. It is what it is.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
There has always been building of single family homes all over the US. The difference now us the material costs for those homes will drive prices up and make them difficult (or impossible) to afford for more people. But, as home building has been going on for a very long time when lumber was reasonably priced, the fact that homes are being built now cant suddenly be the cause of present astronomical lumber prices. Rather, I believe that a break-down in supply chains has caused lumber shortages in turn resulting in very high prices. Shortages always do that.

In my county, there are twice as many real estate brokers as existing single family homes for sale. A buyer wanting to buy a home here is faced with historically low inventory, and historically high prices. in response, new home building is going on. Those new homes are way too pricey, but at least they exist. Existing homes like ours built in the past decade have doubled in value., so I am told that I have achieved my dream if having a million dollar house just by sitting in my butt. But if I sell, where will I go?`only to a similarly priced home without all the feathers I noe have and want. We have many moving to our semi-rural setting from the crowded,dense cities. Er have new neighbors from Dallas, Virginia, Washington DC and San Francisco.. Under current health circumstances, it is their goal to move to an uncrowded environment.

Last edited:

Latest Threads