Curious- gig with your Historic??

BornToLooze

Reaction score
I understand collectors and flippers but when it comes to musicians buying guitars, why buy them if you never intend to play them in front of anybody?
Playing with the wrong group of people turned me off of playing with other people, but I jammed with one of my buddies a couple weeks ago, so I might change my opinion sometime.

I don't have a historic, but I've already found my #1, so if I started gigging again, I'd use one as a backup if I had it.

But my first ding was as one of the last gigs I played.

Inked176mu6K_LI.jpg

I don't remember exactly what happened, but my case was unlatched, and it got knocked over or off the stage or something, and one of the latches took a chunk out of the finish. And that was a couple weeks after a strap button pulled out and I lost a chunk out the headstock on another guitar.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
1) I don't wear belts or studded/abrasive clothing or accessories that can scratch the hell out of the guitars.
2) When my guitars are not being played, they are either back in their case or on a secure stand.
3) When I am not on stage, I don't leave my guitars unsecured in high-traffic or easily accessible areas.
4) Guitars get put back in cases first at the end of any gig.
5) All of my guitars use some form of straplocks to prevent accidents.
I do all of these (although #3 only applies before and after a gig. During breaks mine stays in the stand onstage). Any marks/aging I have are my own and just a reminder of a good gig here or a horrible gig there, but they all tell a tale.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
the CC#7 used to gig all the time but its pickups are really geared for full on distortion all the time
I dig what you're saying there. My Shanks was an absolute beast through my Marshall Vintage Modern cranked up (still kicking my ass for selling that amp). However, I ended up switching to some Throbak pups in it. Made it more versatile to my ears anyways.

BSeneca

Reaction score
Not only do I gig my Historic, I gig with 52 Goldtop. i am a player. The reason I started buying Historics 15 years ago was because it was the best Les Paul I could get. I didn’t buy my Goldtop for investment I bought it because it is the most amazing sounding guitar I have had the pleasure to own. I for one don’t understand collecting if you’re not playin. Granted I have had 12-14 guitars at a time. But I USED ALL OF THEM. From teles to strats to firebirds, V’s, explorers to even a Danelectro. I understand the appreciation of a beautiful guitar. But it’s kinda like marrying a supermodel and sleeping in seperate bedrooms if you get my drift. To each his own though.

Dazza

Reaction score
I dig what you're saying there. My Shanks was an absolute beast through my Marshall Vintage Modern cranked up (still kicking my ass for selling that amp). However, I ended up switching to some Throbak pups in it. Made it more versatile to my ears anyways.
....the CC#7 used to gig all the time but its pickups are really geared for full on distortion all the time and I play The Rolling Stones on the aged 14 mostly.
I gigged my Shanks through a JTM 45 for several years residency on the same cruise ship. 50's to 90's music it sounded great stock. I've no high gain or non master amps so not experienced that aspect. For many years I'd been interested in hearing Wizz pickups so eventually put a set in. Simply for a change. An already great guitar just improved.

My initial venture with Historics came from wanting a versatlie and inspiring guitar to cruise with. Several months at sea per contract and a huge variety of music is a tall order when carrying only 1 guitar. And I didn't want to play a strat like everyone one else. Historics do all I need.

Daz

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
When I was steady gigging, I bought guitars for gigging. I played in small clubs and the partying was significant. Lots of times I got swept away to some strange bed and left my equipment behind. Sometimes my bandmates packed my gear and sometimes I had to go back the next day to see if it was still there. So I mostly played $200 - $300 guitars throughout the 90's.

Now I buy the guitars that I lust over. I play them in regular rotation every day.

When I have friends and family over to jam, they all get pulled out and passed around.

When I have been invited out to jam with others, in a band or practice space situation, I have tended to take the old work horses. Not sure why? Maybe out of habit? Maybe because those guitars rock and I am comfortable with them and I would rather show up with a lower end guitar and play decently (if I am lucky) than show up with several expensive guitars and look like that guy with nice guitars who can barely play? :hmm:

But that is only for band/practice space scenarios. I take my nice guitars to more casual settings so that I can share them with others.

I am not trying to preserve my higher end guitars, but I don't want to lose them or break them in the kind of chaotic situations I used to find myself in.

Details of my heavily gigged $200 1991 SG Special.

10 years of authentic gig wear

5 Grovers and 1 bent Kluson. Is this what you want for your Historic?

Those are Patent Pending Grovers, by the way. Bought in a pinch after breaking a Kluson on a low ceiling at one gig and needing replacements ASAP for the next night's gig. The bent Kluson is on there because one of the PP Grovers was broken off on another low ceiling gig and I had 5 spare Klusons. The bent Kluson obviously took hit at some point, too. The bridge pickup is an early 90's '57 Classic plus bought in an emergency situation when our bass player toppled over into me at a gig, taking out the original bridge pickup. We also knocked over a 4x12 Marshall cab with my 70's JMP and a JCM 800 2203 on top if it. Luckily, the amps and cabs didn't sustain terminal damage. My 1976 Marshall JMP has a cracked head shell and a wrinkled faceplate from getting pulled over at another gig. My 1973 SG sustained neck and heel breaks in separate incidents. It was my backup and got knocked off the stand both times. Before the breaks, it was just another $300 guitar.

Fret details on an heavily gigged guitar.

Last edited:

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
Every time I see this topic come around (again and again) I can only say, why the hell wouldn't you gig with an Historic? They aren't cheap, but it's not a $250K 1959 original. I use my one-of-one, original 1964 ES-345 lefty at every rehearsal and gig since I got it in June. I watch it carefully, but didn't buy it to not use it.
lefty  64 es 345 a.jpg

EasyAce

Reaction score
I have two historic Les Pauls and one such Flying V . . .

R6:
1575262660983.png

R9:
1575262687157.png

. . . and, 67RI Flying V (the paint job was done well before I acquired the guitar):
1575262741950.png

They all get gigged (so do my two other Les Pauls and my Epiphone 58 Korina Flying V) . . . and, they all get taken care of very well, if I do say so myself, including cleanings after each gig.

NiteGoat

Reaction score
Playing with the wrong group of people turned me off of playing with other people, but I jammed with one of my buddies a couple weeks ago, so I might change my opinion sometime.

I don't have a historic, but I've already found my #1, so if I started gigging again, I'd use one as a backup if I had it.

But my first ding was as one of the last gigs I played.

View attachment 422644

I don't remember exactly what happened, but my case was unlatched, and it got knocked over or off the stage or something, and one of the latches took a chunk out of the finish. And that was a couple weeks after a strap button pulled out and I lost a chunk out the headstock on another guitar.
Two of my three LPs have the dreaded latch ding. I think it's the most common type of ding, known to LP owners/users.

mjross

Reaction score
Why would you not play them? Isn’t that why you bought them? Sheez....

BSeneca

Reaction score
I have two historic Les Pauls and one such Flying V . . .

R6:
View attachment 423901

R9:
View attachment 423902

. . . and, 67RI Flying V (the paint job was done well before I acquired the guitar):
View attachment 423903

They all get gigged (so do my two other Les Pauls and my Epiphone 58 Korina Flying V) . . . and, they all get taken care of very well, if I do say so myself, including cleanings after each gig.
I met and have chatted with you for many years now on this forum and your R6 still makes me drool over the many over the top R9 and R0's, I remember we spoke about this guitar when you were thinking about buying it, So glad you kept it. So may of mine are somewhere else now!

EasyAce

Reaction score
I met and have chatted with you for many years now on this forum and your R6 still makes me drool over the many over the top R9 and R0's, I remember we spoke about this guitar when you were thinking about buying it, So glad you kept it. So may of mine are somewhere else now!
There was never a question in my mind about my R6 from the moment I had her in my hot little hands in the first place. In the last couple of years I've shifted to the jazzier side of the blues and my R6 is actually perfect for that as dearly as I love my other Les Pauls. Somehow, some way, and I've now owned the guitar for almost a decade, the R6 is even more smooth to play than when I first had her. All my Les Pauls are that way as they've gotten older, but for some reason the R6 is a little ahead of the pack there.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Gig all my guitars. Historic, Custom Shop, Vintage...all of them

I do tend to favour a handful for gigging though

dalezjc

Reaction score
You can't take them with you when you go to the big rehearsal space in the sky, so just gig with them. And your kids and grandkids don't care as much as you do about your guitar so there's that.

Tomburst

Reaction score
Yeah I always gig my reissues and like the factory aged ones as I'm not too precious about how I handle them. Last gig was with my cc15 Greg Martin it's a bit of an animal but so sweet too. Here's a link to a bit of a solo. It's going thru a rocker 30 head and 2x12 jensens. Only audience phone clip tho

Latest Threads