I Break Things

Reaction score
I think a lot of PRS dissatisfaction comes from 'expectations'... I like PRS guitars... Over my 60+ years, working in shops and owning one, I have wrapped hands on countless guitars so I am able to play one without expectation and/or not evaluating 'by comparing'...

A PRS is a PRS. It is not meant to sound like a Lester or Skrat or Tele or even a ZimGar.... It is meant to sound like a PRS. The mass is different. The scale is different. The pickups are different. They feel different. They are extremely high quality builds but they are NOT copies so to speak of something else. Well, the Sky is and sounds like an old Skrat to me... I'd love one but I have Skrats and most Skrats are hella cheaper... I don't give a shit about anything with JMayer's name on it whether guitar or tennis shoes... Damned nice guitar BUT... Same thing with a Fender Brad Paisley Tele... It's a Tele and sounds like a Tele...and doesn't even look as good as most Teles... He doesn't even play primarily Fenders if I rem correctly...

Played a bud's single cutaway PRS and should have bought it... Didn't feel like a Lester, different scale, different mass, etc., but was a damned good guitar in its own right.... Just is.

I have an '83 Phil Kubicki full custom order full build Tele. Looks like a Tele BUT... It doesn't play like any Tele I have ever played... Psychotic wiring options for '83, custom pickups wound two doors down from PK by SD for that specific guitar, 15" ebony, all brass... A true one-off custom. A Tele player would probably find it so different that he'd probably not like it. Damn thing can sound like several different guitars...which precludes it from being a 'Tele' even though you 'can' get standard Tele out of it once you learn the five-way and toggle combinations...

Some folks can play a Fender Skrat HH and hate it because of their expectations of it sounding Skrat...which it does not and will not. It has two humbuckers. It will also NOT sound like a Lester... Sooooo, does it sound bad? Hell no. It has it's own tone colors.... Is a Music Man bass bad because it does NOT sound like a Precision or Jazz...or Rickenbacker...or Alembic...or ?????.... Nawt. A MM bass is killer in its own right...and sounds badass... Sooooo, what does a Firebird sound like? Well...pretty much a Firebird... I guess they suck because they aren't much like anything else...

Preconditioning toward or against something is an interesting concept to ponder.... We all suffer from those to some extent....
The unique sound is one of the things that made me fall in love with PRS. They're just the perfect guitars for me. When I pick up my PRS, it feels like MY guitar. Not like a LP can feel like Slash or a Strat like Hendrix. It's MY tone that sounds beautiful to MY ears. If I had to pick only one manufacturer for life, I'd jump at PRS. It's just got the sound that fits in my head.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My two fav acoustics include a late 60s D-18 a bud in Nash has in his studio... I played it as a young teen when he played with my late big bro and I have heard it on countless projects he's done and am still in awe.... There are some folks that don't like anything but the fancy D-45s.... I don't give a damn about fancy inlay and such.... Sound.

The other is a Collings pre-war design OM(?) another bud has... Not fancy, just killer.... Made his also high dollar fancier 'Larri' sound like balsa wood...

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven’t tried a Taylor. So far, I’ve high bad luck with mid level to lower end of higher level acoustics. I really would like to fall in love with one, but haven’t yet.

Honestly not sure if my memory of my old cherry Guild are accurate or not. I know I loved it, but that was 40 years ago. Haven’t loved another since.
My Guild F-20 concert size acoustic is 48 yrs old and it sounds wonderful :)
I don't think there's such a thing as a bad Guild.

DavGrape

Señor Mamber
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
efstop delivers in one...wait for it.... trip.

amazon-delivery.gif

y3ezu.jpg

dave b

Reaction score
The Texas/ Nevada boys will get a chuckle out of this, but I just had to come inside out of the heat. It's almost 75F out there. Full sunshine, no wind, and I just pulled the back tire off my bike in the yard.. Pouring sweat, I am. :laugh2:

Picked up a drywall screw riding this morning. Of course it's the back tire. :rolleyes: Always fun. BUT, I never leave home without a can of that tire repair foam stuff in the saddlebag. Seriously, never in about 40 yrs. Not the first time that stuff got me home without a tow.:thumb:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I admit I had poutine my son (chef) made where he works...... Hand cut fries with poutine and gravy cooked with duck fat.... Good lawdy it was good.... Nothing like I imagined....
Sounds like something I definitely would not be able to eat.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meant to say earlier, good luck with the implant(s) Bytor. A soccer injury when I was in my teens left me with a couple of those. Full root canal fill, posts screwed into the bone, the works. Lengthy process, but well worth it.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meant to say earlier, good luck with the implant(s) Bytor. A soccer injury when I was in my teens left me with a couple of those. Full root canal fill, posts screwed into the bone, the works. Lengthy process, but well worth it.
Wait... You're in England, right?
Did you take the tunnel to France to find a dentist?

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest Threads