JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to also say congrats to Jon for smashing out the orders. I'd love to get one but I'd guess the shipping might be a bit expensive!
Thanks! They have a UK distributor now. The US price is around 4K for the basic model. The larger one I just ordered runs about 9K.

I was really worried about spending that kind of money (the 4K) and hoped I'd be able to at least make some of that back up as I went along. Never expected, especially in the first year, to have this much success. In Nov I did just over 3K in sales

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, I saw Michael Pollard in an episode of The Lucy Show, and forgot to mention it.
Sorry.
Sorry, guys.
Sorry everybody!

View attachment 575541
View attachment 575542
He played the little sidekick CW Moss in Bonnie & Clyde too
1638627042259.png

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! They have a UK distributor now. The US price is around 4K for the basic model. The larger one I just ordered runs about 9K.

I was really worried about spending that kind of money (the 4K) and hoped I'd be able to at least make some of that back up as I went along. Never expected, especially in the first year, to have this much success. In Nov I did just over 3K in sales
I actually meant one of your prints rather than the printer. I wouldn't have the talent to use the printer if I bought one!

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually meant one of your prints rather than the printer. I wouldn't have the talent to use the printer if I bought one!
Ah. I'd be happy to do one up for you. I don't think shipping is that bad for UK. I know I made a menorah for someone in the UK. 20x12x2 box was about $40 I think

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought a HP Laptop for wifey last year at Staples on a Black Friday sale.

1TB HD and 512MB SSD. $399 which is crazy when I think back to my first computer with no hard drive and a half meg of ram that cost twice as much.

No internet back then only bulletin boards.

I racked up some serious phone bills. :confused:
Oh ya... I started (not counting the C64 and Tandy Model-1) with a Tandy 1000EX... their idea of the PCJr running at 7.14Mhz and with the 16-color TGA. Always bummed me out that most programs were written for 4-color CGA.
Built a '286, then a couple of '386 and '486 machines.
Last computer I "built" was around 2000 when I put together my Athlon Thunderbird system. After 9/11, playing "terrorist/counterterrorist" lost a lot of its fun, and I pretty much completely got out of gaming, so that machine lasted for me until the power supply crapped out in 2013.
That got replaced with an HP desktop, and then around '18 or so, I upgraded it to my current desktop, because every time it would reboot, it would take forever to come back up (sometimes sit on the spinning wheel for an hour!)
Mysteriously, after I set up the new machine and left the old one powered down for a few weeks, it started right back up and hasn't had any issues since.

So I ended up ordering this one:

Ryzen 5, 16gb, 1tb SSD, and a 17" display.
It was only another $40 to go to the 1tb drive from the 512gb.

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh ya... I started (not counting the C64 and Tandy Model-1) with a Tandy 1000EX... their idea of the PCJr running at 7.14Mhz and with the 16-color TGA. Always bummed me out that most programs were written for 4-color CGA.
Built a '286, then a couple of '386 and '486 machines.
Last computer I "built" was around 2000 when I put together my Athlon Thunderbird system. After 9/11, playing "terrorist/counterterrorist" lost a lot of its fun, and I pretty much completely got out of gaming, so that machine lasted for me until the power supply crapped out in 2013.
That got replaced with an HP desktop, and then around '18 or so, I upgraded it to my current desktop, because every time it would reboot, it would take forever to come back up (sometimes sit on the spinning wheel for an hour!)
Mysteriously, after I set up the new machine and left the old one powered down for a few weeks, it started right back up and hasn't had any issues since.

So I ended up ordering this one:

Ryzen 5, 16gb, 1tb SSD, and a 17" display.
It was only another $40 to go to the 1tb drive from the 512gb.
I started with a Vic 20 and then C64 before going with the original IBM PC - 54K, 2 floppy, green screen

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryzen is a cool technology.... They crank....

To be honest, I am an M1 convert. I think the M1 technology is way ahead of the old 8088 based tech that Intel is derived from and where AMD came from but AMD has been far more innovative than Intel in my opinion....

I think that AMD will probably jump Intel with in the density war even though Apple is way ahead of both AMD and Intel. AMD seems to have always been thinking out of the box since they 'clean roomed' an 80486 processor when Intel screwed em back when they OEM'd Intel processors for them.... AMD is far more reactive and innovative now than Intel....

I think Apple M1 systems will be comparatively cheaper or minimum as cheap as the competitors with the M1 since they build them themselves and are not buying from Intel near as much... In a short while, there will be NO Intel architecture Apple products. It will be interesting to see how AMD approaches ARM architecture. AMD can decide to do something and got 'er done and out when Intel would still be trying to figure out just how the hell to do something....

The tao says that in a few years, it will be Apple M1 tech vs. AMD tech with AMD going a similar route as Apple with a new design thought process.... Apple just had the guts to do their own thing first and it was a RADICAL departure from the norm.... Even their macdaddy iPads are going M1.... My iPad Air (not M1) but with their latest family of ARM processors is damned amazing in speed, battery life, efficiency, and multitasking... Soon all iPads will be M1 and they will slam the market... Newer iPads are simply amazing at just how powerful they are....

Imagine when they start running a scaled OS X instead of iPadOS.... Think it out, same processor base as Macs with same OS (which is UNIX)....

AMD, I am sure knows this and probably is already got stuff in the back room as they can react to change quicker than Intel.... AMD will probably move out of 'the OTHER processor' slot against Intel and Intel will become the 'other' processor.

...and then there is Samsung. Hide and watch, they are coming and loaded for bear.... May be a few years, but they are coming.... Samsung is a behemoth BUT they are resilient and can react.... and the own a hella tech companies...

To me, it is more interesting right now than when IBM designed the PC and put it out there for anybody to build compatible hardware or even systems... Overnight 'standard'....

The most interesting thing I see coming in the somewhat near future is imbedded M1 hardware from hell, running some variation of OS x or MacOS or iPadOS or whatever which before long will all be the same, even iPhoneOS..... Many do not realize how much horsepower and iPhone has....more than most folks laptops/desktops....most underutilized horsepower there is at the moment....

I look for Apple and AMD to be the big dogs in the not so distant future. I see more M1 and AMD imbedded devices. I also see more variations of Unix descendants running hardware too....

Apple just may jump back into the server ring with the M1 architecture.... Speed, low power, etc... with Apple's intelligent Plug and already Ret To Go!

Gonna get a lot more interesting really quick....

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been AMD only for many years. Thread rippers, well...rip. The M1 is going to change things.

Even though the Intel procs we have in our UCS blades rock and roll.
Dual 28 core procs and up to 24 TBytes of memory. 8 blades per chassis, and as many chassis' as you care to deploy.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started with a Vic 20 and then C64 before going with the original IBM PC - 54K, 2 floppy, green screen
It was always a hoot when people referred to the 3.5" floppies as "hard drives"
My first hard drive was a 64mb Miniscribe RLL.... paid $600 for the thing.

Latest Threads