Cupcake? Heresy? Pony? 4 stacks of plexi?

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
I'd like to consider all who post in here my good friends. And I'd like to think that you are all wise enough to return to the patter that made this thread such a cool place to hang out in.

So, I say let's return to those days, shall we?
+1 :thumb: here..

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always loved the folks in this thread.... but I miss so much in short amount of time that I find myself way outside the momentum..... I just don’t have a lot of value to contribute.... I usually need find something that’s worth sharing..... I thought I had something brewing with a DSG video but I ran to issues and I’m trying to work out the uploading problem... so I’ll wait.

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always loved the folks in this thread.... but I miss so much in short amount of time that I find myself way outside the momentum..... I just don’t have a lot of value to contribute.... I usually need find something that’s worth sharing..... I thought I had something brewing with a DSG video but I ran to issues and I’m trying to work out the uploading problem... so I’ll wait.
If value is needed here, I might as well go home and count my marbles. That's part of why I enjoy this thread - I don't feel like I have to contribute other than some camaraderie

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If value is needed here, I might as well go home and count my marbles. That's part of why I enjoy this thread - I don't feel like I have to contribute other than some camaraderie
I agree,... but i feel i need to contribute something meaningful to that camaraderie as does everyone else even if they don't think they do..... there is value in just that. Friends are valuable.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thank you :cheers:

IMO what caught us unawares was how much and how fast the crackdown came...
Despite the fact that Dave put a sticky entitled "Political posting crackdown" on the board-- and despite the fact that the Minnesota thread and the two COVID threads vanished overnight-- we knew that a lot of members might not realize immediately that things have changed on this site.

We also knew that we'd be taking action against members who carried on in a particular manner, despite repeated requests to avoid certain subjects while posting. We were, after all, once the most libertine of all guitar websites when it came to what we'd allow members to discuss.

We were proud of that, at the time. We let stuff slide here that wouldn't have lasted for 10 seconds on most of the other guitar-oriented websites out there.

No more, though. Now we're the same as every other guitar website I can think of. We'll be squashing everything that even demonstrates a potential for controversy.

****************​

You know, we actually discussed all this stuff in the moderator's thread. In that thread, Dave (in particular) noted that it was probably going to be a while before our members became fully sensitized to the reality that things had changed-- and drastically.

Old habits are hard to break.

Dave predicted that there would be several train wrecks and numerous members who wouldn't quickly realize that the site wasn't going to be so willing to allow various subjects to be openly discussed after our new orders came down. He foresaw a slew of bannings... and he sure was right about all that.

Still: in addition to some simply missing those tell-tale signs of change, we knew also that there would be those who figured that they could push their luck... there have been so many members with an exaggerated sense of self-importance who have passed through this site, you wouldn't believe it.

And then of course we have guys who figure they'll do some kind of end run around the rules. Might as well hand a that kind of person the cord that releases the guillotine blade after they're strapped into place. That is: they do it to themselves.

And this site has never really played favorites so much as to try and tolerate members if they went on a roll. We tried to give more room to members than all the other sites... we figure that sometimes a guy has a bad day, sometimes a member had too much to drink, sometimes they're whacked on head meds or pain meds...

...and so forth.

But there have always been limits.

***************​

You know, I was a regular member for a LOT longer than I've been a moderator, and I have lived to see other members telling me crap like, "Oh, Victor won't do anything to me. We're buds" when I told them to chill out in PM after they went to breaking bad in a thread.

I also watched those same individuals as they threw some puerile tantrum after finding out the hard way that there are limits to certain behaviors-- even theirs.

A member might get away with something a couple of times, but sooner or later we'll be taking care of business. And that will be more often the case now that the administrator has decided to restrict things more than ever before.

I have seen SO many members given the boot since 2010... but have always been bemused by how many of those members really and truly did *not* expect that it could happen to them. Why they figured themselves to be so special, I never understood.

Then there have been the guys Dave talked about above: people who actually tried to make some kind of game out of acting like assholes on this site, as if they were still in junior high school and were going to "stick it to the man".

What dolts! They generally ended their time here feeling resentful when they found out that actually, they're not such a big influence and are not actually in charge of anything other than their own personal conduct.

I've seen several such persons more or less commit "suicide by moderator" when they finally realized that no, they weren't all that special that we'd put up with their crap forever.

And they're gone now. So very many of them, too. Look at the top posting members, and see how many are still around...

One of those very top guys once rebuked me as I cautioned him to knock off the trolling. He was drawing fire from Dave, who tried several times to get the guy to squelch himself... I was actually on the phone with the errant member at the time, and was telling him to knock it off before he got himself blipped.

You know what the dude said in response to that? His voice carried that whiny twang of a man who has had too much to drink and doesn't understand that he's about to be beaten down as he sneered, "I am the most prolific poster on MLP!"

Apparently he didn't understand that being the most prolific poster on MLP, plus a buck-fifty, will get you a cup of burnt coffee in a crack town convenience store.

Idiot! Not only did he get the big ban boot straight up his ass, but he also got the thread he was taking a dump in locked down.

He's not around any more. He's one of those guys who figures we're out to get him... though in reality, he's just another member to us.

He also got that same thread locked down again-- same thread he got locked down about six years ago.

Amazing. In the latest event, he didn't even get banned. Nobody did. Instead, the thread he wanted to preside over got locked down.

He hasn't posted since last June. I see that he logged on on July 22nd, but didn't post anything. Just checking his messages, I think. But he is so convinced that we're out to get his silly ass that he doesn't even post any more.

And now you know what happened to some of the great superstars of MLP who, curiously, don't seem to be around any more.

They got stupid, they got burned, and then they felt humiliated by it. Some of them never did see it coming, though. But to top it all off, they think we're out to get them.

Old ego is a too-much thing. I sometimes wonder if they'd find it painful, to find out how little we actually care about any of this crap.

We enforce rules. That's pretty much our primary function. It's not a power trip, unless somebody is so lame that they feel powerful just by clicking a mouse.

I know this much: none of the moderators on this site are truly into banning people. It just happens sometimes.

And at that: these days it's a thread ban that is the measure of choice for us in the majority of cases. We don't really like to site-ban others. It's not our goal, to depopulate this site... it's not in the site's best interest to do that sort of thing.

***************​

We've had disgruntled members go off to start their own sites, thinking that they would suck members of this site into their orbit or something. I don't think that *any* such sites were ever successful, though. Most of them are ghost towns, if they even continue to exist. Most such sites folded within months of being created.

We have in the past openly asked the mods to police the trolls and warn us so the thread doesn't get dumped..
Such a request is not really necessary. We'd be here, there, and everywhere else whether asked to monitor things or not. It is, after all, our function.

But we *do* hasten to respond to reported posts.

Hell, I read this thread *every single day*, even though I don't generally post here all that often and am seldom all that interested in whatever topic is under discussion.

I read all kinds of threads-- most are threads that I'm not even personally interested in. After ten years on this site, there are very few topics that I haven't seen covered unto topic exhaustion.

I even read deleted posts.

We'll just hunker down till the storm passes.
There is no storm, really. The only thing members need to do is understand the changes that have taken place, and to govern themselves accordingly.

If you're not being a dork, there will be no need to hunker down.

We don't actually *want* to take action against other members... it's just that we will do so when we see that action is necessary because the members don't want to abide by the site's rules.

It really is *just* that simple.

--R

Last edited:
Reactions: ehb

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
@Roberteaux , @LtDave32 ,
You’ve posted some well-detailed explanations in this thread, but I suspect this thread is only read by about ten people.

Even regulars can come here and skip over a couple hundred posts because they haven’t dropped in over three days.

Do you think it would be a value to the community to have your detailed info out in its own thread, and one that isn’t locked? Or might that just turn into a crapshow if it was the only subject of a thread?
:hmm:

Nah. I think the community needs merely to act like adults instead of like little kids as they post.

And I think that in their heart of hearts, they are already aware of that.

Unfortunately, the big fun seems to be blowing hard and upsetting other members by means of negative or insulting comments.

And that's why there are moderators on this site-- and every site-- to begin with. There's always somebody out there who simply cannot resist talking like an asshole to another member.

I also think that the community doesn't set the rules here. The administrator does that.

Finally, I think that the community should read the sticky Dave put up, and try to take it seriously.

But other than that? The rules remain the same, and people don't really *need* detail. I'm only ruminating here because I feel like it... but I have never been told that I have a duty to teach anybody much of anything.

Meanwhile: our members are presumed to be adults-- and most of them aren't exactly spring chickens at that.

So I figure that the average member of this site has had plenty of time to realize: it's never good to be too much of a loudmouth, and it pays to be careful as one speaks to another person.

We're not here to potty train and civilize them, so much as to moderate the site.

And pretty much any thread on this site becomes a crap show if the people get to thinking it's time for them to flex and start blowing really hard.

Hell, I've banned guys just for acting like dorks after they became stupidly upset by a response to some mundane question, when they didn't like the answer... we've banned people for starting arguments over amplifiers, if you can imagine that...

... and then there were others who were banned because they actually tried to enforce their personal preferences a bit too enthusiastically. And here I am speaking of mere aesthetic preferences.

Yes, there are people who are so fond of this kind of guitar or that kind of guitar that they have to slag others who aren't into whatever they're into. And then there are the guys who rant incessantly when somebody merely mentions some musician they don't like or appreciate.

Some guys don't understand that others are not compelled to subscribe to their personal preferences. And so we have to squelch people who get all preachy about all kinds of inconsequential crap. They'll tell you what to eat, what to think-- and then get themselves banned for becoming all fiery when another member tells them to stow it.

There are lots of guys who can't just tone it down, and who don't understand: they're just some guy on the Internet, and not a life coach or a shot caller when it comes to the preferences of others.

Hell, we've banned guys just for trying to piss on another member's New Guitar Day.

So no: I wouldn't personally expect that our members need some sticky thread just to teach them to try to be civil and polite as they post.

But then: I'm not a shot caller here, and I don't sponsor much of anything without being asked for my opinion by a senior moderator or the administrator.

I'm only typing away right now because I can't get back to sleep...

But really: how hard is it to understand not to talk smack to other people? Do we really need an in-depth explanation?

These people know what they're doing. They're very deliberate about it, and sometimes even say so while they preach, rant, or whatever at the other members.

--R

Last edited:

Skeletor

Reaction score
Couldn't choke down @Who 's warm root beer so my turn to step up.
Coffee is on - Hot and Black

Hoping the dust has settled and we can get back to the regular banter

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bear in mind about what @Roberteaux said above, the bans happened after the problem arose and we told the they with the problem to cool it, well before they were banned. Example: we banned a guy for crapping on a New Guitar Day. Yes we did. But it was his response after we told him to cool it. -that's the reason for the ban. And it's not a permanent ban unless the guy is a habitual problem.

Look at it like this:

A beat cop sees some joker causing trouble of one form or another.

He says to the joker "let's move along now".

Joker has three choices.

1) comply and move along.

2) keep doing what he's doing and ignore the beat cop.

3) start trouble or escalate the trouble he's already in, such as starting shit with the beat cop for telling him to move along.

It does not take a rocket scientist to see if he chooses option 1, everything is fine.

If he chooses door #2 or door # 3, there's going to be a problem.

This is how we moderate. Even lighter than that, actually.

And it really is that elementary. That simple.

We always say, "hey cool it", "that will be enough", "let's move along" "okay, knock it off" , or any number of similar expressions to indicate that what's going on needs to stop.

Then if that fails, we do it again.

It takes a really deliberate, determined dipstick to get himself banned.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
We were proud of that, at the time. We let stuff slide here that wouldn't have lasted for 10 seconds on most of the other guitar-oriented websites out there.

No more, though. Now we're the same as every other guitar website I can think of. We'll be squashing everything that even demonstrates a potential for controversy.

And that's really a shame. Notwithstanding the trolls, the butthurt and the tantrums, this was, until a few days ago, one of the few places on the internet one could actually engage with people holding different viewpoints, rather than going off to echo-chambers of likeminded folk where dissenters are ruthlessly banned for violating groupthink.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes it is, Bill. A damn shame.

But it is what it is, and what it is, is a guitar forum.

So now that everything has been explained from all angles, I'd like this to get back to the topics this thread is known for..

So let's move it along to that, please.

Starting with, How's everybody's coffee? who needs a refill?

I'm out of my damn creamer and that's just no damn good at all.

Pop, you got any french vanilla for a guy?

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Creamer/ French Vanilla - that is Heresy :rofl:
I can't help it. I'm hopelessly addicted.

I must walk corridor of coffee shame.

I select my beans from 50 different hoppers.

Buy 3 lbs at a time.

Grind my beans every day for one pot only.

Use purified water every time.

One would think you can get a decent cup of coffee at Casa LT.

..then I go and fuck it all up with french vanilla creamer.

Oh, the shame.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what this is exactly........

Any and all, Andy. A meeting place.

Coffee. Cars. Dumb ads. Nostalgia.

oh, yeah.. I almost forgot: guitars.

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been a part of this cupcake crew for quite some time. Still have never figured out what we are talking about. (Especially DavGrape-he speaks in Edro tongues) :laugh2:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes a really deliberate, determined dipstick to get himself banned.

That pretty much nails it right there......
Like they're on a mission from gawd....

Some I have been witness to were breathtaking in the sheer dumbassery.....

If you're standing in a railroad crossing, your feet feel a vibration building, a loud ass air horn from hell blasting like hell, and a big spotlight blinding you from up the tracks, anybody with at least a few synapses firing should see some pieces of the puzzle come together real quick like... Some things should pretty well be self evident....especially if someone NOT on the tracks casually mentions 'Yo, Buford, there's a train coming....'

Yet Buford seems oblivious to the rather impressive Darwin moment in his immediate future....very immediate.....like rat now in a minute....

Then comes the St. Peter moment.... 'Why was my ticket punched?'

Last edited:

Latest Threads