Cupcake? Heresy? Pony? 4 stacks of plexi?

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Ewwww! Yeah, Spandau Ballet. Ewwww!
Gag me with a maggot.
Agreed they sucked! You do like some of that 80s garbage ...

Surely you know what I meant with 3 of the 4 musical periods?

Many moons ago, when we still had a full time classical station in Philly, there was an hour devoted to "Baroque and Before". 7pm IIRC. Loved that stuff.

I could summon @DarrellV for examples ...

DavGrape

Reaction score
3 of the 4 musical periods
I know the stuff I like, but don't know what time slot they fit in... sounds like a good week-end project...
Vivalldee, Batch, sure; Strauss, Rossini, that Mozart guy.

I'd like to time travel and show the biggies a recording of their stuff and ask, "Is this the tempo you were thinking?"
Their idea of allegro might be a little slower, I dunno if they thought in terms of beats per minute, or even if they had metronomes, and wrote down the settings.
More things for week-end discovery, mayhap.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I know the stuff I like, but don't know what time slot they fit in... sounds like a good week-end project...
Vivalldee, Batch, sure; Strauss, Rossini, that Mozart guy.

I'd like to time travel and show the biggies a recording of their stuff and ask, "Is this the tempo you were thinking?"
Their idea of allegro might be a little slower, I dunno if they thought in terms of beats per minute, or even if they had metronomes, and wrote down the settings.
More things for week-end discovery, mayhap.
I was very interested in the time periods and how it all evolved.

I bought this basic paperback pre-internet book that was my guide to the genre. It taught me how to pronounce the words and names properly among other many bits.

Ludwig von Beethoven was a key bridge from classical to romantic - more or less.

The orchestras grew progressively larger and overblown imo.

I preferred the smaller ~25 piece or less orchestras of the classical (Mozart) or earlier. The film Amadeus was the start of my journey.

Johann Sebastian Bach is indeed a favorite Baroque composer of mine.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
My ex bought tickets for us to see Handel’s Messiah at the Philadelphia Academy of Music in the late 80s. The cheap seats.

Handel was a Baroque composer. Small orchestra. The choir was at least as large.

Very formal and all. Fuck ‘em - I wore a nice sweater when I still wore them. There was a music dork down and a over from us that was following along with sheet music. Really? Looking for mistakes?

Accustomed to LOUD concerts I was surprised how not at all loud it was even during the famous chorus.

I saw a few microphones hanging down over the musicians, but didn’t get the impression a PA was in use. My hearing was good then. I’d not want to hear that show now.

Was a fine experience all considered.

Last edited:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Dang that Amadeus, I've never watched it.
May start it tonite, if available.
Great introduction to classical. A great movie. Put the hook in me.

Hope you can find it. Highly recommended. There is a sequence or two that breaks down the parts of compositions. Magical to watch for those who know music a bit.

Last edited:

DavGrape

Reaction score
↑ Aha....noice... I remember reading about that one long ago, yet never had heard it.
There's a death metal cover on YTube.
Metal and classical have always merged well.

EDIT: Gah!
I should have said, "I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that."

Last edited:

DavGrape

Reaction score
First Chicago song I ever heard and was a fan from then on.
They always got radio play here.

Act in paste, repent in seizure.

Last edited:

Latest Threads