Cupcake? Heresy? Pony? 4 stacks of plexi?

DavGrape

Reaction score
Mono sounds just as good as stereo.
Humble Pie's 'Black Coffee' has Stevie ALL left channel. He's buried.
I made a mono version that sounds great.
A stereo system outside just sounds like mono.
In a room with speakers close, or headphones; there's more sense of spatiality... a violin may be percieved as coming from your left... with headphones you can even sense the angle; 30 degrees to the left.

Who's "Live At Leeds" has Pete and John severely separated... it's not so great with headphones.
In a room you get a sense of the concert stage....

Beatle's White album has EXTREME separation.
I like it on vinyl better than CD... the crosstalk on a record makes the separation not so extreme.
From a distance or outside, it all goes to mono.
A mono white album would sound fine, headphones or speakers.

Last edited:

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Yes, probably.

What else can you add to my query?

With a stereo mix if you listen to some albums where the guitar is panned hard left or hard right and set the balance control on your receiver to the opposite channel the guitar is recorded, it will drop out.

If the ripping software sums the two channels of a stereo mix together prior to bouncing to a mono output file, then there should be no problem hearing the guitar regardless of where the balance control is set.

I have always had the balance control on a stereo receiver set to the center position.

As far as Normalizing, that feature is to make all the output files of rips the same loudness so that when you listen to different tracks they are all at a consistent level so no need to turn the volume control up and down.

Sometimes the amplitude of the waveforms get clipped on the original recording if recorded too hot.

Last edited:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Mono sounds just as good as stereo.
Humble Pie's 'Black Coffee' has Stevie ALL left channel. He's buried.
I made a mono version that sounds great.
A stereo system outside just sounds like mono.
In a room with speakers close, or headphones; there's more sense of spatiality... a violin may be percieved as coming from your left... with headphones you can even sense the angle; 30 degrees to the left.

Who's "Live At Leeds" has Pete and John severely separated... it's not so great with headphones.
In a room you get a sense of the concert stage....
Thanks Dav - I can understand that well enough. I imagine the balance of the violin L / R gives the sense of degree perception.

I think many artists and engineers did not quite know what to do with stereo and it seemed it was treated as a novelty. Panning for the sake of panning and the like. :dunno:

Live at Leeds is one of my favorite live recordings.

DavGrape

Reaction score
Ah... but two speakers is MUCH better than one in a room... whether the source is mono or stereo.
More of a balanced room sound.
With one speaker, you can tell it's coming from THAT source.
Two speakers spreads it out, pseudo-stereo.

Two guitar amps at once make you go "Ooooo!"
'specially with a stereo chorus.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Ah... but two speakers is MUCH better than one in a room... whether the source is mono or stereo.
More of a balanced room sound.
With one speaker, you can tell it's coming from THAT source.
Two speakers spreads it out, pseudo-stereo.

Two guitar amps at once make you go "Ooooo!"
'specially with a stereo chorus.
A fatter sound. I get that with my two guitar speaker cabs that are 1 meter apart. Cone center to center - 1 meter. Like I planned it, but did not. They are also angled in towards me.

Two amps? Never tried that ... I have two you know.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
With the sky a dome above me, I can point to where the plane is without looking.
In the city.... could be anywhere.

I'm just thinking of examples, now; I don't want to sound like I'm dumbing it down or anything.
A good one. Ever since I was a wittle kid, I liked watching planes fly overhead. I can never tell where they are by sound, always spinning me head around trying to find them.

DavGrape

Reaction score
This dude handed me some binoculars several years ago, he goes, "My wife got me these. Bausch & Lomb, 10x50."
Oh lordy. So cool.
Had to get some.
Cain't never go back to 7x35's.

(Esoteric bin speak)

(Pair of bins. Con talk for binoculars)

(Con. Short for convict)

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
No, it don't sound right.
Binoculars squash dimension, or something like that.
Like telephoto lenses, you can't tell depth.
That makes sense, because the depth of field is compressed when zooming in trying to focus on the foreground and background simultaneously.
Youse guys is smart!
SlowL.gif

Latest Threads