Cupcake? Heresy? Pony? 4 stacks of plexi?

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
Woes, woes...

Trouble and confusion.

I'm having decal logo troubles.

It seems that decals printed up on transparent decal paper, the colors do not show up on dark backgrounds. -At all.

No wonder Gibson used gold metallic paint on their "budget" logo of gold paint "Gibson" , such as found on goldtops.

Yes, it was silk-screened off and on, but sometimes it was a decal. I have seen evidence of this.

At any rate, since I do not possess a metallic-ink printer, I have to send out for the work.

I have had George Charles do me decals before, and they were outstanding in every way. Even on black.
For the pen I made Justin I used a Cricut machine to print the letters. The only issue with that is the amount of finish required for it to not stand proud of the wood. I think I used about 15-16 coats of CA to finish. The only solution I've seen for decals is what you mentioned - metallic ink, and for a 4 color model you'd be looking at a couple thousand.
Other problem with regular inkjet and decal paper is the black lose a lot of their depth.
Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 6.40.53 AM.jpg

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
Waaaaal, the ink-jets count on the white paper as help.
Light colors are quite transparent so the white can work.
White areas come out clear on decal paper.
Ain't no way around it, lest ye paint your surface white where the decal gonna go.

I can hear that voice in my head; "You could save 15% or more by switching..."
They do make white backed decal paper too, but then you need to be able to either live with the white or be really good with cutting out the blank areas. I'll pass on that frustration.

S. Rock

Reaction score
Morning Sarge
Where were you stationed in Germany (I think I remember correctly that's where you were)? I was in Schweinfurt in 75-77
I was at a Nike Site just north of Stuttgart. the nearest little town close by was Gross Sachenheim. Ludwigsburg was the next closest. (Aug 71 - May 74)

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
I was at a Nike Site just north of Stuttgart. the nearest little town close by was Gross Sachenheim. Ludwigsburg was the next closest. (Aug 71 - May 74)
A couple of hours southwest of me. We were about half way between Frankfurt and Nurmberg

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Morning Crotch.

You have that Stang Yet?

I haven't seen anything.
Not yet. I paid Tuesday. Got paperwork overnighted Wed. Overnighted it back to him for yesterday. I just called and left a message for him to set up the deliver date. Shooting for Monday when its in the high 30's and no snow or rain. Need to just get it from the trailer to my buddy's garage a block away. At least temporarily.