Cupcake? Heresy? Pony? 4 stacks of plexi?

redjunior

Gak!.... Bozos!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another question for the photo junkies in this thread....
Does anyone know of a decent software package that will "collect and archive" all my photos?

To explain:
Since my first digital camera (2001) I've gone through multiple computer replacements, scores of portable hard drives, done numerous backups etc. What I'm left with is a scatted mess of files and folders across various hard drives with many duplicates and no real method to my storage madness.
So - today I was looking for puppy photos of my dearly departed Golden retriever (circa 2006/2007) and I can't find a big slice in time - hoping it is on one of the various hard drives in the pile.
What I would like to do is spend some time and gather everything I can find on the drives and copy it to a single chronological archive (say a folder per month for the last 15 years), maybe rename them with the date or something and delete all of the duplicates.
Intuitively - this should be something seemingly simple for a software company (a room full of code monkeys?) to develop so I assume something already exists (I'll search but I tend to get more useful answers from the MLP collective)

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Shotwell Is great in Linux if you use it... It is a chronological organizer and has some manipulation tools too.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a decent software package that will "collect and archive" all my photos?

To explain:
Since my first digital camera (2001) I've gone through multiple computer replacements, scores of portable hard drives, done numerous backups etc. What I'm left with is a scatted mess of files and folders across various hard drives with many duplicates and no real method to my storage madness.
So - today I was looking for puppy photos of my dearly departed Golden retriever (circa 2006/2007) and I can't find a big slice in time - hoping it is on one of the various hard drives in the pile.
What I would like to do is spend some time and gather everything I can find on the drives and copy it to a single chronological archive (say a folder per month for the last 15 years), maybe rename them with the date or something and delete all of the duplicates.
Intuitively - this should be something seemingly simple for a software company (a room full of code monkeys?) to develop so I assume something already exists (I'll search but I tend to get more useful answers from the MLP collective)

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Windows PC?

I usually try to steer people clear of proprietary photo management packages as you do not know where that software will be in a few or many years. It also may limit what kind of changes you make.

The built in Windows Explorer / Computer does all of the folder managent and file renaming you'll ever need. It really does not change and is quite simple to use. Someone who has used Windows 3.1 (early 90s) could learn the latest rather quickly.

1566520974673.png

While it is not the easiest interface, Irfanview has very powerful batch file renaming and processing. Nothing comes close. https://www.irfanview.com/ It is quite good at many photo manipulation tasks too. Stupid fast. Free.

Sadly, it uses the Windows XP era file management GUI which is clunky in Windows 10.

1566520887374.png

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
An acoustic is on ebay for auction cheap and closing soon guys

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score

To explain:

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
I've been using Windows so long I do not even think about how versatile Windows Explorer really is. I just know my way around very well and get what I want quickly. If you are not as familiar ...

There are many tutorials for getting the most out of Windows Explorer. Here are two similar ones.

Be aware some of these help sites may want to load unneeded junk software on your PC. Simply read the advice. On rare occasions the "recommended helper apps" may be malicious. Read only!

Last edited:

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score

To explain:

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
You might try Adobe Bridge it's free unlike their other apps. Lets you use keywords, star ratings, smart collections (it'll automatically create albums based on date if you like), and some other nice features

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score

To explain:

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Also, I keep my photos on an external drive (and a backup on another external drive) - if you move to a new computer, everything is still organized and ready to go

DavGrape

Reaction score
I followed advice early on when I knew I was gonna collect a lot of photos.
Prolly from 'computers for dummies' or something...
Name them right away!
With a keyword of what it is... 'PenelopeCruz_Bra'; you know; like that.

All are in folders, too; when I get to about 200 in a folder, make a new one.
I'm on Graphics_68 now.
But I don't want to interfere, really; leave me out of it.
I've discovered a method and am sticking with it and don't know how to explain it.
Hahaha!
But seriously.
CathyBel_Bral.png

Last edited:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
You might try Adobe Bridge it's free unlike their other apps. Lets you use keywords, star ratings, smart collections (it'll automatically create albums based on date if you like), and some other nice features
I've had it for years and never tried it. There is a learning curve for most things Adobe, but would be easier than learning Irfanview and their outdated interface. Bridge has been around a long time and will likely remain so.

I'm outdated, so I can deal. :wave:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Name them right away!
:laugh2:

I name folders, sub-folders, while keeping the camera names as is. Stuff off of the internet? Sure, I'll rename while saving or shortly after.

BTW, you can search for file / folder names in Explorer too.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Name them right away!

All are in folders, too; when I get to about 200 in a folder, make a new one.
I'm on Graphics_68 now.
But I don't want to interfere, really; leave me out of it.
I've discovered a method and am sticking with it and don't know how to explain it.
Hahaha!
But seriously.
View attachment 401433
Nice image!

Everyone has a system that works for them. I actually do something similar to you Dav. You_underscore_too? ThereIsAlwaysCamelCase.

I must admit to using spaces more frequently. Even works at a command prompt now.

I have a problem with creating a general working folders that do not get well organized. That is when I employ changing the views and sort by columns in Explorer. Really works well.

Last edited:

DavGrape

Reaction score
Got in the habit of underscore because of Lightwave 3d; Lightwave doesn't like spaces.
That Catherine Bell is in my top 5 of 'Greatest Images of All Time.' Hahaha!
Regarding Rosie, I like 'em thick, but there's good thick and bad thick.
Belinda_Thick.jpg

Remember that show Alan Thicke had for gay insomniacs?
What was it....
Oh, yeah; "Thicke of the Night.'

Last edited:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Got in the habit of underscore because of Lightwave 3d; Lightwave doesn't like spaces.
That Catherine Bell is in my top 5 of 'Greatest Images of All Time.' Hahaha!
Regarding Rosie, I like 'em thick, but there's good thick and bad thick.
View attachment 401437
:laugh2: Agreed!

She is a cutie there ...

I stared computing as a hobby in the DOS days. 8.3 naming required. 8 characters max for a file name + the file extension. No spaces. Penelope Cruz Bra would be PCruzBra.jpg. Eight is NOT enough.