CTS Pots with DPDT push/pull?

jayj

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a big complicated push/pull wiring setup that I'm contemplating redoing from scratch.

One of the things I'd like to do this time is use CTS pots, which I've heard only good things about (along with better caps, etc.). I was wondering if anyone knows of a supplier that sells CTS DPDT push/pull pots.

It looks like torresengineering.com has some CTS SPST pots, but no DPDT (CTS Push Pull amp pot - SPST switch)

Any suggestions?

dtube

Reaction score
I've been through all the CTS product pages - they do not make a pot with a DPDT switch. Perhaps if someone approached them with a large order, they would. Alps makes the pots most of the big stores carry.
-Darren

Reaction score
Yep, not available ..... minimum order from CTS is 2500 pots last time I checked. Anybody want to put together an order? :)

dtube

Reaction score
Yep, not available ..... minimum order from CTS is 2500 pots last time I checked. Anybody want to put together an order? :)

I'm in for 100 :). But I would ask for 20% taper on them (if everyone else was cool on that). Now, we just need 24 more people...
-Darren

jayj

Reaction score
What (if any) push/pull pots are currently available from CTS? Perhaps I can work my wiring around what they have available.

Also, can you suggest a good alternative to a CTS pot that I can get with a DPDT switch?

dtube

Reaction score
CTS doesn't seem to make any form of a push-pull switch on their parts. The switching they offer is rotary - i.e. combination on/off and volume switch on some older, inexpensive amps. Below is the product page for the 450-series; you can see what the CTS switches look like. I believe that Alpha makes most of the pots with push/pull switches currently available (I'd love to be proven wrong on that, though). The Alpha pots are fine for most things. Ted Weber (WeberVST) gets custom-made pots from China. I've used those in some amps and have been pleased with the quality. Last summer, I asked Ted to look into some long-shaft, splined, 500k's with push/pull DPDT. He seemed interested - but I haven't heard anything from him in awhile. I also asked for 20% audio taper on those :fingersx:
-Darren

http://www.ctscorp.com/components/Datasheets/450.pdf

jayj

Reaction score
Gotcha. I'm not really interested in going in for 100 of these bad boys :)

My current setup uses 4 push-pull DPDT switches on the pots: 2 for coil-taps, 1 for phase switching and 1 for series wiring between the pups. If I redo the wiring, I'd consider removing the phase and series switches and possibly go down to just two switches. If I do that, do you think it'd be worth it to getting CTS pots for, say, the volume pots, and get some other variety with the DPDT switches for the tones? Or, am I over-valuing CTS pots?

My goal in rewiring would be to change the coil-taps to a series/parallel switch on each humbucker as well as trying to clean up the wiring I have now. I've heard nothing but good things about doing a parallel wiring for a full single-coil sound that mixes and matches well with series wiring (traditional humbucker sound). Does anyone know if it's possible to do a series/parallel humbucker wiring with anything besides a DPDT switch (and cutting more holes in my guitar)?

For reference, the wiring I'm considering (per pickup) is here: GuitarElectronics.com Humbucker Mods (Series/Parallel, right hand column, third one down )

Latest Threads