CS Reissue Case (headstock area foam inserts)

blouie

Reaction score
Hi all,

Question about the dense foam inserts Gibson adds to the Custom Shop Reissue cases. In my case it is a 2020 R0 and the case is the latest iteration of the Lifton reissue cases...

I always have to apply pressure on the headstock area of the case to properly close and latch it (even when lined up with the existing impressions). Sometimes the foam shifts and it tries to make new impressions.

Questions - those here that have these types of inserts:
  • Do you keep them in your case at all times?
  • Or just for shipping?
  • Can the inserts cause issues to the paint (where it touches the paint)?
  • Any concerns about pressure to the headstock potentially breaking it? Is it too risky not to keep them in the case?
Ultimately, if anyone is aware of any broken headstocks over having the inserts or issues with the inserts affecting the paint on the guitar.

Honestly, I would have liked the previous iteration of this case (up to 2019, I believe) as it was more true to the originals but I think they would have the same issue.

CaseInsert2 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

mjross

Reaction score
I just purchased a M2M “57” Reissue that has a nice little pillow under the headstock! Is this something new, what’s up with this? No foam insert on top though. Hmmmmm……

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The foam is just for shipping. They are meant to be in the cases without the foam. I've saved mine so if I ever sell one I'll put it back in the case when I ship to the new owner.

mafmmx

Reaction score
isnt that suppose to go under the headstock? not on-top of it?

Cory

Reaction score
isnt that suppose to go under the headstock? not on-top of it?
Nope - there’s 2 in the case when shipped - one on top and one on the bottom - I’ll tell ya though, it’s downright terrifying to slightly push down on the lid to get the case to latch with these inserted - I’ve sold a few reissues that came with these and put them back in prior to shipping - between these and the 2018-2019 thin lifton cases, I was sweating the whole time they were in transit - fortunately they arrived safe and sound

Cory

Reaction score
Hi all,

Question about the dense foam inserts Gibson adds to the Custom Shop Reissue cases. In my case it is a 2020 R0 and the case is the latest iteration of the Lifton reissue cases...

I always have to apply pressure on the headstock area of the case to properly close and latch it (even when lined up with the existing impressions). Sometimes the foam shifts and it tries to make new impressions.

Questions - those here that have these types of inserts:
  • Do you keep them in your case at all times?
  • Or just for shipping?
  • Can the inserts cause issues to the paint (where it touches the paint)?
  • Any concerns about pressure to the headstock potentially breaking it? Is it too risky not to keep them in the case?
Ultimately, if anyone is aware of any broken headstocks over having the inserts or issues with the inserts affecting the paint on the guitar.

Honestly, I would have liked the previous iteration of this case (up to 2019, I believe) as it was more true to the originals but I think they would have the same issue.

View attachment 561231
As others have stated, you should take them out unless you’re shipping it - did you happen to buy your R0 used? The newer 2020+ cases normally come with softer pillow-like inserts that match the case lining - wondering if the seller kept the nicer inserts and stuck you with the older style :dunno:

goodvibes

Reaction score
I would only use the headstock foam inserts for shipping. It looks like Gibson changed the design of these inserts. Before they were grey colored and only one piece that went into the bottom side of the headstock area of the case. I always fold thick shipping paper several times into an approximate 2-3 inch wide strip and wrap two around the case snug and tape them with reinforced tape. If the case latches break or pop open during shipping, the guitar will not get damaged. Also, I will know if someone opens the case in transit.
B7C6FC72-6694-49C8-AA9A-1EF7EAEF540F.jpeg

les y

Reaction score
I just purchased a M2M “57” Reissue that has a nice little pillow under the headstock! Is this something new, what’s up with this? No foam insert on top though. Hmmmmm……
Likewise with my 2021, 60 V1

calieng

Reaction score
Has anyone let the OP know that it is also ok to remove the plastic shrink wrap from his sofa?

I worry about you guys some times....

lawrev

Reaction score
Is it just me, or how come these expensive Gibson cases cannot be designed perfectly and then kept that way? They seem to be tinkering with them, and every few years that tinkering leads to problems.

mjross

Reaction score
Is it just me, or how come these expensive Gibson cases cannot be designed perfectly and then kept that way? They seem to be tinkering with them, and every few years that tinkering leads to problems.
Gibson is trying to be authentic! That’s how they were made in the “good old days”! I use mine for storage only. They are not very good for gigging. I use the new Gibson “football” gig bags for my gigging guitars. The “football” gig bags are actually pretty damn nice.

bugman

Reaction score
^ that. The foam is meant to be discarded. Not reused. Although reusing them hurts no one.

Also, most of us with a reissue ditch the lifton for something that is more protective and won't cost 400 bucks to replace if it gets wrecked.
I never heard most ditch the lift on case, what do you get instead?

kelsodeez

Reaction score
I never heard most ditch the lift on case, what do you get instead?
I have an skb iseries flight case. It's an absolute fortress, but I think I'm going to get a gibson USA case for local gigs and use the skb when I need extra protection

The Golden Boy

Reaction score
I had one of the circa 2000 Lifton cases with my 1958 Special- it was heavy and I didn’t trust a 40+ year old guitar in that case. I stuck the Lifton on a shelf and used one of the black/purple TKL Gibson Custom Shop cases.

Latest Threads