CS-336 build

Voske

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just after a year of thimking, reading and so on I decided to start with my own CS-336 scratch build.
I've build a Tele in the past with prefabricated body and neck, but this is my first scratch build so I'm really curious how this will turn out!

The body is made from 3 pieces of mahogany which have been laying around in my shop for ages.

I haven't made any pictures of joning the parts together, so the first pictures are from the body and neck after the first routing.

Voske

Reaction score
Next, I've hollowed the body with a drill and a router.

This is the result:

As you can see in the upper right corner, the height setting from my router got loose during routing so I went a bit to deep. But no problem, there is flesh enough :)

Voske

Reaction score
I had a really thick piece of hard rock, quarter sawn maple lying around which I wille be using for the top.
The circular saw wasn't big enough to cut through, so I had to do some little "hand work" to split the parts.

Sawing the top:

Glueing the top:

Voske

Reaction score
Thanks!

I will post more pictures along the way as the project continues.

Cya,
Marc

Voske

Reaction score
So... I guess this is going to be a slow build ;)

Today I carved the top.

I'm very satisfied with the result of the carve!

Voske

Reaction score
One thing though which I'm a bit worried about is the body to neck weight ratio.
I've hollowed the body a bit too deep. The plans call for a hollow out of 2,5 cm (one inch) which results in a 1,7 cm thick back.
I've hollowed 3,2 cm which leaves a back of 1 cm.
Would this be a problem weight wise or acoustic wise?

Thanks for your thoughts!

ARandall

Reaction score
Nice maple!!!

Do please make sure you make a nice low colour burst or similar to show off that lovely grain and fleck!!

As to the hollowing, the back is carved too with the 336 I think. So the depth is needed to allow for the back wood removal....which would leave the body in the same sort of wood thickness as what you have. But with 2 pickups, TOM and t/p plus electronics there tends to be more weight in the finished article anyhow. And if you use Kluson style tuners there should be no issue

Voske

Reaction score
Alright,

Now my SG project is almost ready I will be continuing with this project!
As I mentioned before I routed out the body too deep to make a curved back.
I decided to make the body all over again since I would really like a curved back...

I've recently bought an old overhead router which I restored completely and used for a new body.

It's such a nice job routing with this machine.
Normally I would have cut out the body with the bandsaw first but I thought to route it completely with the overhead router. Starting inside first and the outer once finished.

First round...
There was a bit of tape stuck at the bottom of the template, therefore the route at the bottom was not good at first.
Lucky it was on "the good side"

ready, one Inch deep.

Second round on the outer side.
I think I need to sharpen my router bit soon....

Done!
The complete process took around half an hour... what a thrill to be working with this machine!

Now I have enough flesh on the back to make a nice carve in the Mahogany.. Looking forward to do that!

Next, I will be working on hollowing the maple top.
My first idea was to do this also on the overhead router for quick results. BAD choise!
On one of the first runs I almost went through the top while I didn't used the correct angle on the top regarding the router bit.
Fortunate enough the damage was little, so I could repair it with wood repair. I think that it will not be visible when the burst is on.

Damaged area... :(

After a lot of drilling with a depth stop on the drill press, I started chiseling out the wood.

That's starting to look good!

Almost ready!
Now..... sanding...

I'll keep you posted on this project...
Marc

Voske

Reaction score
After some serious “off-time” I’m back at the project where I left it...

In the mean time l’ve rebuilt my Dutch farmhouse: broke it down to the last brick and rebuilt the entire farm to its original plans from 1850 (with all modern building standards) ..

Well... I’m back at it!
Finished the back carve tonight

Attachments

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Damn, man!

Really nice work!

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I made a version of a CS-336 some years ago. A really fun build. I post this photo to inspire you.

That top was....mic drop. I just couldn't believe what I got out of that huge chunk of maple that I bought. I got TWO top sets out of that chunk and when I got it, it was so fresh and so full of moisture, it was very heavy, cold to the touch, and water ran out of it when taking a test cut with the bandsaw. So after splitting it down to two top sets, I threw them up in the attic and forgot about them for a year. Then they were nice and dry and hadn't warped, twisted, or cracked.

DSCN7615_mid.jpg

Voske

Reaction score
Wow! That is a stunning maple top!
What was your reason no to cut the f-holes?

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a version of a CS-336 some years ago. A really fun build. I post this photo to inspire you.

That top was....mic drop. I just couldn't believe what I got out of that huge chunk of maple that I bought. I got TWO top sets out of that chunk and when I got it, it was so fresh and so full of moisture, it was very heavy, cold to the touch, and water ran out of it when taking a test cut with the bandsaw. So after splitting it down to two top sets, I threw them up in the attic and forgot about them for a year. Then they were nice and dry and hadn't warped, twisted, or cracked.

View attachment 522516
Was that guitar made with bent sides 335-style, or from a routed center body like @Voske ? I knew the Midtown's were routed from solid, I thought the 336s were built-up. Or is that the 339s? I get confused ... :dunno:

treddingjr

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A1FE7DD5-6CC4-4588-AA8E-F83A701E187F.jpeg

I made seven of these. The guitar, not the grandson. I have the prototype, which had symmetry issues and this one.
The ones in between went to good homes and causes. All but one were like this. The sixth one is a 339 sized Black Beauty. Solid mahogany with a maple cap and ebony board. Fralin Pure PAFs.

Like the one that is the focus of this thread and Mr. Johnson’s, it’s a great size.

Latest Threads