Crushed.

devin dude

Reaction score
Started a new job just this month. Studied for a year and am so happy just to have a new outlook.

Went into work today and found out I made mistake of the worst kind. It could have resulted in the possible death or serious harm of another human being. Even though no bad outcome was the result of my unforgivable(in my eyes) mistake , I'm crushed and almost in tears right now.

I wasn't fired , and don't understand why? I really feel like killing myself over this. It could have been a deadly error in my mistaken judgment.

Don't really know what to think of myself right now? It was a wake up call of the highest order for me. Just praying it can mentally be overcame.

I can't imagine what the patient feels about me. I could never make up what my mistake must have subjected her to. To say I feel like the lowest piece of crap ever ever is an understatement to the highest degree.

I just had to vent it out and hope you can forgive my mistake.

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
......Meh ......hang in there.......buck up and all that........now give us the exact details of your fu-k up so we can decide whether to forgive you or not.....as you ask......

Personally I don't want anyone with Dude as part of their name doing any medical work on me.

Now with a name like Slacky.....you know who's hands you are in :thumb:

devin dude

Reaction score
......Meh ......hang in there.......buck up and all that........now give us the exact details of your fu-k up.

Gave the wrong medication to a mother(for her daughter)who in turn(no thanks to my medical error) gave the medication to her daughter. I'm as low as I've ever been in my life. Won't ever forget or forgive myself for this error no matter what.

Just wish I could make it up somehow.Thanking God the little girl wasn't harmed, because of the unforgivable error, I made. Vow to do only 100% from now on. Swear that on my grave, so help me.

Tozatron

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, you've learned your lesson. Pack up and move on. The worst thing you can do now is wallow in self pity.

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score
As a parent I would be beyond livid. Mistakes like this have cost people their lives, as you state.

But in this case, it sounds like it did not. You live and learn. You work in a field that has a significant amount of risk so you need to decide whether you can handle those risks or not. Give it some time and see, there are always options. No need for rash decisions, certainly no need to off yourself!

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
Where is FennRx........he needs to interogate you......

moeman

Reaction score
Well, you've learned your lesson. Pack up and move on. The worst thing you can do now is wallow in self pity.

Well said.

You've got a ways to go.... In life as well as your career, Its all about decisions and timing. You made a mistake, Redouble your efforts and stop beating yourself up. Could have been a lot worse.

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score
To err is human, to forgive is divine.
And we are ALL human.
Get over it.
Move on.
Learn.

Play some guitar WITHOUT making any mistakes.....

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
Yeah i think you need to understand mistakes do happen... we're all human! If we never made mistakes, we'd never learn. I work in a hospital, and i've made one or two mistakes... whilst not directly life threatening, one of the mistakes did directly affect the treatment of a patient (it happened soon after i started). I've never made the same error again.

The mature thing to do is to just put your hands up and say, ok, i admit i made a mistake, i'm gonna learn from this. :cool:

Username1

Reaction score
I'm assuming you are interning at a hospital, if that's the case then learning from your mistake and moving forward is the way to go, I'm sure you feel down, but like said earlier, to err is human. it is important to make sure you are giving people the right medications, etc, but if you are new at it, it will take time and lots and lots of practice to get good at it. Being a doctor is no easy task, it's slowly turning into a thankless job. Just keep the mistake with you so you learn from it, but let it go from your emotion, you will get over this, and you will learn the ropes and be ok, there will be times when it will be devastating when you are doing everything right, I'm not saying go out and be neglectful, but let it go this time

notoperational

Reaction score
As bad as the situation SOUNDS and looks when you put the pieces back together and try and dissect it further...

What it boils down to is this. If it was REALLY that big of a deal and you really put somebodies life in danger, you probably would of been relieved from your position. Try not to beat yourself up over it.

morats8up

Reaction score
Listen my friend, Your not the first nor the last to make this kind of mistake. Hell, Even surgeon's somehow wind up taking off the wrong body parts from time to time. Even the most seemingly innocent activities (Texting while driving) have the potential to become disastrous to others. What you did was an accident, Shake yourself and move on.

v8ko

Reaction score
I read that the worst time to be a patient was July because thats when most interns start. Up to a 10% increase in deaths mostly due to incorrect medication. Its not July but an interesting fact and to let you know your not alone in your mistake.

I dont know you and probably never will but your job does require 100% focus. Doesnt mean you have to be high strung and uptight 24/7 just get to that place however you can. We all make mistakes and no amount of self inflicted punishment will help, what does help is learning from those mistakes and becoming better at whatever one does.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Perhaps you could prescribe yourself some anti depressants?

Get over it...
Lots of people have jobs that have a certain responsibility. Some more than others. Yes people can get injured or killed, but thats the risk in that line of work. People make mistakes. It will happen again. Now instead of being all depressed about it, you should be happy nothing serious happend to the girl.

It might sound a bit harsh but drowing in your own tears isnt going to help you, or the people you work with.