Critics don't like "The Rise of Skywalker". 57% on rotten tomatoes.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
If I had to pick the 'best' out of the three 'new' ones I'd probably go with TFA. Yes it was a rip off/rehash of ANH/ESB but it didn't suffer from the after effects of the fuckery TLJ did which tainted TROS. The elements to 'UN fuck' it were things I just found incredibly stupid. I still cannot get over fucking Palp not being dead, that was just cheap, but it also was Abrams only 'out' to save it.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
JJ would have served himself better by dropping a box of turds on KK’s desk.

strat1701

Reaction score
JJ would have served himself better by dropping a box of turds on KK’s desk.
ya know....I've seen some gifs which would be very apt for that description.....but I shall refrain from posting them here....I'd pay a few buck to see it in real life though, KK and RJ taking turns defecating on each other as that's how I view them now...

Olds442

Reaction score
JJ's no fool. They probably begged him to do the last one after what Ruin did to it. and he got paid large. I'm sure they were in full panic mode at that point and knew it. In KK's mind "only JJ" could probably fix this mess. (and save her ass) or maybe it was Bob Iger who begged JJ. Point being, I'm sure he cashed in on the major fuck up of TLJ.

strat1701

Reaction score
oh shit it didn't have the video with Daisy Ridley's reaction to that...try this

cjpeck

Reaction score
If I had to pick the 'best' out of the three 'new' ones I'd probably go with TFA. Yes it was a rip off/rehash of ANH/ESB but it didn't suffer from the after effects of the fuckery TLJ did which tainted TROS. The elements to 'UN fuck' it were things I just found incredibly stupid. I still cannot get over fucking Palp not being dead, that was just cheap, but it also was Abrams only 'out' to save it.
JJ could have brought Snoke into it as a 'force ghost or even the same cheap ass way he brought back Palpatine. Hell, Snoke could have been Plageous in disquise, but to me that would have made the whole originall batch as pointless as Pa;p not being dead.

Let's face it. the OG star farce had Vader 'bringing balance to the force' and all that silliness Then to take it all back makes it pointless. fucking pointless. it's as if there was a hokey religion where the god in charge said "hey, I forgive you all and I'm sending someone to pay for all the sin" and then in 30 years says "psych, bitches. You're fooked!". Or just nothing happens and life continues as shitty as it always was.

the new star wars needed to go in a 180 degree direction, not re-hash the same old shit. Piss poor writing all around from day freaking 1

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Disney post-Eisner has the Merdas Touch- everything it handles turns to crap. But in a Midas Miracle, they can still convert that great steaming pile of merde into gold!

Look at the pathetic shit carrying the once-proud "Pixar" name, or the general worthlessness of the MCU (the only good Marvel movies in the last 10 years were non-MCU: Logan and the Deadpools) And don't even get me started on the horrific live-action remakes of animated classics....

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
JJ's no fool. They probably begged him to do the last one after what Ruin did to it. and he got paid large. I'm sure they were in full panic mode at that point and knew it. In KK's mind "only JJ" could probably fix this mess. (and save her ass) or maybe it was Bob Iger who begged JJ. Point being, I'm sure he cashed in on the major fuck up of TLJ.
I really think JJ was one of the very few who could sort of save the series. A better director might have tried fixing the story, but a logical story isn’t part of JJ’s DNA which worked for TRoS. Just keep things moving from one shiny penny to another before the audience realizes the plot holes.
What’s weird is that I’ve seen it three times now and I can’t really remember much about the film. At least in TLJ I remember the fight against Snoke’s guards, and then several cringe worthy scenes, but in TRoS it’s already forgettable, which may be the best for this trilogy.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
JJ could have brought Snoke into it as a 'force ghost or even the same cheap ass way he brought back Palpatine. Hell, Snoke could have been Plageous in disquise, but to me that would have made the whole originall batch as pointless as Pa;p not being dead.

Let's face it. the OG star farce had Vader 'bringing balance to the force' and all that silliness Then to take it all back makes it pointless. fucking pointless. it's as if there was a hokey religion where the god in charge said "hey, I forgive you all and I'm sending someone to pay for all the sin" and then in 30 years says "psych, bitches. You're fooked!". Or just nothing happens and life continues as shitty as it always was.

the new star wars needed to go in a 180 degree direction, not re-hash the same old shit. Piss poor writing all around from day freaking 1
That wasn't OG, that was prequel garbage. In the original movies Vader is just a Jedi who became evil and eventually killed the Emperor, leaving his son free to resurrect the Jedi. For whatever reason (I have a theory) George decided that wasn't good enough when he was writing the prequels, so he shoehorned in the one cliche Star Wars had avoided the first time around. In doing so he basically locked off the sequels, because any story subsequent to Jedi would contradict its ending.

Anyway, I'm with Strat in thinking that The Force Awakens was the best of the sequels. It's way too derivative of A New Hope but it's also the only one of the sequels that actually felt like a sequel to Return of the Jedi. It's also the only sequel that didn't butcher or waste one of the original characters.

But with the smoke clearing, I'm finding myself asking why we got sequels in the first place, other than making money. The original Star Wars trilogy told a complete story and it had basically everything you could want from something called "Star Wars." Those three movies are all you really need. The one lingering thread was the backstory, which led to the prequels. The story told by the prequels didn't need to be told at all, but at least it was answering questions. But Return of the Jedi didn't really leave any unanswered questions, all of the plot threads were wrapped up and the characters finished their arcs. When we get to The Force Awakens it's more or less forced to be a remake of A New Hope because it has to start from scratch.

There's a reason why The Force Awakens was created as and perceived as a soft reboot. It's not tying off loose ends, it's getting the Star Wars money machine going again, washing off the prequel stink and setting Disney up to earn back their $4B investment. And the idiot Star Wars fans at their stupid conventions lapped it up. It's literally "we're going to sell you the same shit all over again." They don't even try. Even their "good" movie that everyone likes, Rogue One, sucks ass because it has a terrible script and relies 100% on cashing in on people's memories, capping the movie with a stupid and pointless Darth Vader scene that only exists to make fanboys cream themselves over a red lightsaber (Vader was a badass because he wasn't the guy who did the dirty work, he's the guy who walks into the room after his men have killed everyone).

The only really great thing to come out of Disney Star Wars is The Mandalorian, and that's because it has nothing to do with Star Wars and instead takes influence from Star Wars' influences, making it a peer rather than a derivative. The Mandalorian is like a 1st generation transfer, while the rest of the Disney Star Wars is a 12th generation copy.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
I recently watched the prequels and had almost forgotten how dark each ending was.
The sequels never really went there.

PeteK

Reaction score
Went to see Rise Of Skywalker yesterday and thought it was the best one of the three (7, 8, and 9), and the first three (1, 2, and 3).
Dunno why nobody else seemed to like it.
Didn't capture the essence of the originals (4,5, and 6), but I didn't expect it to.
Only another twenty years to go until they resurrect it again.
I might even still be around.
:D
I enjoyed it.

strat1701

Reaction score
DR...She has an identical twin sister.....Obi Wan was wise to hide her.....I'd plow em both....

Latest Threads