Critics don't like "The Rise of Skywalker". 57% on rotten tomatoes.

rxbandit

Reaction score
Just got back from seeing it - honestly shocked to see such a positive reaction here! Half of it I thought was pretty good.. Which made it even worse when the other half kinda ruined it. I laughed out loud multiple times at how absurdly bad some of the super cheese dialogue and terrible plot points... I wasn't the only one in the theater doing so either, was actually hilarious by the end :laugh2:

Palpatine’s plan would have worked if he just.... hadn’t told Rey his plan...

cjpeck

Reaction score
Just got back from seeing it - honestly shocked to see such a positive reaction here! Half of it I thought was pretty good.. Which made it even worse when the other half kinda ruined it. I laughed out loud multiple times at how absurdly bad some of the super cheese dialogue and terrible plot points... I wasn't the only one in the theater doing so either, was actually hilarious by the end :laugh2:

well truth be told the bar was pretty fuckin' low after TLJ.

and you criticisms of ROSW are on point...

Shred Astaire

Reaction score

But that’s kinda Star Wars innit?

PeteK

Reaction score
:laugh2: yeah I guess... People just went nuts after the last one and this one had the same issues but even worse :dunno:
I don't know, I just watched it today. I thought it was pretty good. There were some plot holes and some cheesy dialogue, but that sort of how all the movies are.

I actually thought it sort of redeemed Palatine's character. I always thought he was a weak ass bitch of a villain. I mean, his big battle with Vader ends with Vader picking him up like a child and just dropping him down a hole. He never really seemed that powerful. In RoSW he seemed like a genuinely badass powerful dude

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
I don't know, I just watched it today. I thought it was pretty good. There were some plot holes and some cheesy dialogue, but that sort of how all the movies are.

I actually thought it sort of redeemed Palatine's character. I always thought he was a weak ass bitch of a villain. I mean, his big battle with Vader ends with Vader picking him up like a child and just dropping him down a hole. He never really seemed that powerful. In RoSW he seemed like a genuinely badass powerful dude

Palpatine more than anything was a chessmaster- a true Magnificent Bastard. Personal force power was secondary.

Still and all, the first time we saw Jedi, when he unleashed force-lightning it was truly an OH HOLY SHIT! moment.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
All previous SW movies had something in common, Lucas. He made changes at the last minute, which must have set everyone’s asses on fire with rewrites, but with those changes he knew where the story would go.
Lucas didn't even start on the scripts for the last two prequels until they were already into pre-production. He'd just get the art department going on his rough ideas first, then he'd start writing the script and wouldn't stop until he was deep into editing.

It was a crazy way to make those movies.

Sorry but....CGI Yoda was also terrible. TPM puppet Yoda was better. Then (as usual) Lucas fucks with the movie and edits the puppet to be fully CGI. While it (the CGI) looked better than the younger puppet, the puppet looked more 'real' on screen than the CGI. Then AOC had yoda flying and it was just ridiculous......Then the palp vs. yoda in ROTS was equally laughable but slightly better than yoda vs. Doku (never going to let Lucas live that character name down...seriously....WTF George....)
When Palpatine and Yoda started fighting and Yoda used the force to throw Palpatine through the air, and he landed in his head with his ass in the air, I was slack jawed. I just stared at the screen in total disbelief of what I had just seen.

I mean, are you fucking kidding me? Upskirting the Emperor?

a lot of stuff gets done with CGI these days that would probably look better as a practical effect.

Real things just tend to look more 'in the frame' and less like a cartoon on top of the frame.

But the prequel movies are like 95% CGI anyway. I'm honestly surprised GL even used actors.
The really smart directors figured out that you don't use CGI to replace puppets, you use it to hide the puppeteers.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
And nothing says Palpatine couldn't have still been growing in the force while he was "away".
Obiwan said he'd become more powerful than Vader could imagine if struck down.
But I don't know why a Jedi killing the Sith would turn her to the dark side. I mean, Yoda tried to do it. He said they had to destroy the Sith, no mention of prisoners.
So Rey should have been like "Uh, OK" and stabbed him in the chest.
Drop the mic and walk out.
He did that shit with Luke too.
"You want to kill meeee...."
"Well, yeah... you blew up a planet."
"It'll turn you to the dark side!!"
"Says you, bitch."
Voomp (lightsaber noise) and off comes Palpatine's head.
"Hmm... I don't feel any different. Guess I'm still a Jedi. Hey Dad, wanna get a soda in the cafeteria?"

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
And nothing says Palpatine couldn't have still been growing in the force while he was "away".
But I don't know why a Jedi killing the Sith would turn her to the dark side. I mean, Yoda tried to do it. He said they had to destroy the Sith, no mention of prisoners.
"Says you, bitch."
"Hmm... I don't feel any different. Guess I'm still a Jedi. Hey Dad, wanna get a soda in the cafeteria?"
It's always been an issue with Return of the Jedi. Palpatine tries to tempt Luke but he doesn't really have anything to tempt him with, and his claim that killing him would cause Luke to fall to the Dark Side lacks needed explanation. Vader is much better at pulling Luke to the Dark Side, but again it doesn't really makes sense: He goads Luke into using his anger to destroy him but then when he gets his ass kicked he doesn't seem very happy about it.

I think that they intended the Dark Side to be analogous to drug addiction or mental illness. You don't fall to the Dark Side because you're evil, falling to the Dark Side makes you evil. That's the only way anything Palpatine does in that movie makes sense to me. I think the idea is that were Luke to assassinate Palpatine it would open himself up to the Dark Side, which would corrupt him. Along the same thread, Darth Vader is not a truly evil man as much as he is a victim of the Dark Side - he wants to be good and join Luke but the Dark Side is too powerful for him to break free of its influence. I think this is a creative decision made during the production of Jedi, when they decided to make Vader a sympathetic figure. In Empire Vader says "You don't know the power of the Dark Side" as a means of temptation, but when he says it again in Jedi it takes on new meaning: "You don't know the power of the Dark Side, I must obey my master."

It's just one of those underwitten things, like how Jedi training in the Original Trilogy is really just reprogramming your mind to give up your preconceived notions of what is and isn't possible and to trust in your instincts, no matter how far fetched they seem, and it's not a matter of doing Force Reps to bulk up your Force Biceps and log Force Points into your Force Skill Tree like all the later movies and video games say it is.

PeteK

Reaction score
Palpatine more than anything was a chessmaster- a true Magnificent Bastard. Personal force power was secondary.

Still and all, the first time we saw Jedi, when he unleashed force-lightning it was truly an OH HOLY SHIT! moment.
Yeah I didn't have that oh shit moment. That was the one time he did anything cool and it was ended by Vader just picking him up and dropping him. I was hoping for a big Vader vs Emperor showdown. I found it very anticlimactic.

Now in Rise of Skywalker, he seemed like an overpowering badass. He stole the force right out of Rey and Ben and he fucking force lightninged the whole damn rebel fleet.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
That was pretty badass, even if Force-sucking wasn't really a thing.
The Disney trilogy is making us accept new things about the force, which is fine to an extent.
The prequels did, too.\
I'm OK with it, as long as it isn't just lazy writing and it makes sense.
I thought Force-sucking went a little far.
But zapping a fleet? Who knows how big the force is? Vader said it was bigger than the ability to destroy a planet. It's kinda vague. Wee little Yoda picked up an X-wing.
I thought that tug of war over the ship was cool, and I was like WHOA when Rey fuckin just blew it up.
Also, did Rey seem kinda more fuckable in this?
Is it wrong for me to ask that??
She bugged the shit out of me in the first two.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Vader's comment about its power being beyond the ability to destroy a planet was a response to the blasphemous claim that the Death Star is the greatest power in the universe. I don't think he meant that someone could literally use the Force to destroy a planet.

If the Force is an energy field generated by all living things then size wise it would span the universe.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
"Says you, bitch."
Well, except that he was dead. But JJ fixed that minor hole. :D

Latest Threads