Crimson Custom Guitars - kit Kickstarter campaign

Mexicanbreed

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: Well, first of all, I am in no way affiliated to any of these sites or companies. I just enjoy the videos by Crimson Guitars. The Master Luthier often shares his knowledge on building guitars, and even though I am not likely to ever build my own, I appreciate his producing them.

So, Crimson Custom Guitars build, among others, the Robert Fripp signature. As you would imagine, it does everything but fly around the room. I like their modern take on classic designs.

So, they are starting a Kickstarter campaign in order to upgrade their equipment and be able to offer a range of high-quality guitar kits. Now, that I would love to see! I have always wanted to build from a kit, but due to expenses I haven´t as of yet, but I hope I will some day. I´d like to build one for my kid when he´s at the right age for it.

I just watched their video announcing their intention on the kits, and I thought I would share. Maybe other people will be as interested as I am, hopefully more.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEy2ReWkBzA[/ame]

https://crimsonguitars.com/

https://crimsonguitars.com/kit-guitars-kickstarter/

valvetoneman

Reaction score
I think they're asking alot personally, I'm just sorting out replica kits aimed at UK Europe mostly.
i wouldnt ask people to fund it, they could probably afford it anyway, they've been at it quite a while or get a bank loan.
£200 for a Tele body is he having a laugh.

I've been a slow starter myself because it's mostly me and it's been bad enough getting 4 done, should I ask for free money too.

Sugardaddy1979

Reaction score
You're not buying a Tele body. You're investing in his company and he's giving that as an incentive.

valvetoneman

Reaction score
Investing in a company is called buying shares, normally for profit, not t shirts.

SparkyJones

Reaction score
Clearly this guys heart is into his work, but he's basically cyber begging and that's something I don't go for at all. With the way he describes the machines it seems like this guy is trying to build his dream shop with everyone else's money.

He just has the wrong approach.

Jim_E

Reaction score
Campaign closed, he raised over 47K USD... wow

valvetoneman

Reaction score
Probably having a nice long vacation.

Do we see where the money went btw.
Just goes to show what some begging will get you, unbelievable.

Dr335

Reaction score
Hi all,

For what it is worth I have met Ben and he is a really genuine character and I am sure that we will see exactly where the money for the kick starter campaign goes. I have been following Crimson guitars on YouTube for some time and when it came to having some modding done to my 50th anniversary '63 ES-335 I decided that, based on his YouTube videos, Ben was the person to turn to. My 335 is my pride and joy and I wanted the work done by someone who would pay attention to detail. I can honestly say that when it comes to the human touch Crimson guitars really deliver in spades and, in my experience, Ben has demonstrated his willingness to go above and beyond any other guitar tech I have used. His whole team carry the same kind of ethos and they are really invested in the work that they do. I also bought a bunch of fret levelling and dressing tools from Crimson and they really are top quality, as an absolute novice I have been able to completely transform one of my guitars purely based on following Ben's guidance in his YouTube videos. My impression is that Crimson guitars are an unusual beast, in that they really do take the time to deliver quality and a human touch - far removed from being 'all business'.

Obviously this is just my experience, but I think time will tell - we will probably see exactly where the money goes. It is also worth considering that people invest in those that they feel are worthy of their investment, maybe the fact that such a sum was raised is testament to how satisfied people are with what Crimson guitars offer...

Canadrian

Reaction score
I am not saying that he is not a nice guy but Kick-starter seems to become a catch all for people that want something financed without doing all the work. I also don't know how it is in different countries but once you acquired a lump sum of money the government steps in to collect their chunk as income taxes. Depending on what your income already is that can be around 50%.

I see bands starting a kick starter for recording an album as well. Which I find ridiculous!

Investing to me is getting something in return. Including the calculated risks of the investment game.

I have watched the videos and appreciate him putting it out there as we on this forum all try to do but I rather watch Dave's World of Fun Stuff video's and send him a postcard with thank you for sharing your knowledge!

I would even slip $10 in the card :D

Thrill

Reaction score
Ive been following this guy on youtube for a couple years now and checked out his website/forum a few times too. He seems like a really sincere guy who has a serious passion for guitar building and is always looking to take it forward. If you go to his forum or browse through his youtube he does so many lessons and knowledge sharing and answering questions that hes basically an instructor and does it mostly for free.

I guess what Im saying is that if he wants help funding new equipment to take on a new project to make guitar kits proper without the flaws you find in most others, then hell, I support him. In this day and age, kickstarter and gofundme are major routes to go to get a project/business funded by people who actually believe in what your doing rather than ****ing with a big impersonal bank thats just looking to take your money and could care less about the human being behind it.

jimbob137

Reaction score
I think that 47k speaks for opinion. People don't just hand money over if they don't see the value in something, whatever that might be.

I've watched his videos, and without knowing the guy I can see that he puts his passion first and shares his trade secrets openly on YouTube. How many people do you know who run a business that shares that kind of information and time for free.

He's got every right to do a campaign like that, and the fact he's raised so much just proves that people want to support him.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I am not saying that he is not a nice guy but Kick-starter seems to become a catch all for people that want something financed without doing all the work. I also don't know how it is in different countries but once you acquired a lump sum of money the government steps in to collect their chunk as income taxes. Depending on what your income already is that can be around 50%.

I see bands starting a kick starter for recording an album as well. Which I find ridiculous!

Investing to me is getting something in return. Including the calculated risks of the investment game.

I have watched the videos and appreciate him putting it out there as we on this forum all try to do but I rather watch Dave's World of Fun Stuff video's and send him a postcard with thank you for sharing your knowledge!

I would even slip $10 in the card :D
People ARE "getting something in return".

Say what you want, but this guy knows his craft, and is about an upfront/standing person, there is. And, simply knowing that the money being donated is going to help them enhance their capabilities, then what's the problem?

At least we actually know where the money is going. Unlike the majority of many GFM campaigns.

Btw, to all the people suggesting that he try to get a loan from a bank - have you ever tried to get a loan, let alone a BUSINESS loan, from from a bank?

Let me tell you, it's a HUGE PITA! Especially, after all the economic BS that has happened over the past few years.

Canadrian

Reaction score
People ARE "getting something in return".

Say what you want, but this guy knows his craft, and is about an upfront/standing person, there is. And, simply knowing that the money being donated is going to help them enhance their capabilities, then what's the problem?

At least we actually know where the money is going. Unlike the majority of many GFM campaigns.

Btw, to all the people suggesting that he try to get a loan from a bank - have you ever tried to get a loan, let alone a BUSINESS loan, from from a bank?

Let me tell you, it's a HUGE PITA! Especially, after all the economic BS that has happened over the past few years.

I don't know where you are reading statements from me saying that he doesn't know his skills and crafts. Or that he is not sincere and nice individual.

Your first sentence makes no sense at all!

If someone stops you in the street and asks $100 to enhance their capabilities. Do you fork over your money. Not me.

I just stated that crowd funding is becoming something that each and everybody can start to fund whatever they want. Without really proving any success.

Plus do you really know where all the money is going? If you donate will he give you a financial report on where it has been spend?

I run a business together with my wife and our experience with banks have been fine. There is always a risk when starting a business. I don't know how many business proposals you have presented to financial institutes?

As a business owner I have more issues with the government an the taxes they collect. And I am not talking about the regular tax you get taxed on buying a pair of shoes. Companies get taxed more than and individual buying a product. This applies to crowd funding as well as it eventually becomes income for the person or organisation collecting it and therefore are taxed.

My honest and personal opinion on this topic. Regardless what you think about it. I would not fund this...

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I don't know where you are reading statements from me saying that he doesn't know his skills and crafts. Or that he is not sincere and nice individual.

Your first sentence makes no sense at all!

If someone stops you in the street and asks $100 to enhance their capabilities. Do you fork over your money. Not me.

I just stated that crowd funding is becoming something that each and everybody can start to fund whatever they want. Without really proving any success.

Plus do you really know where all the money is going? If you donate will he give you a financial report on where it has been spend?

I run a business together with my wife and our experience with banks have been fine. There is always a risk when starting a business. I don't know how many business proposals you have presented to financial institutes?

As a business owner I have more issues with the government an the taxes they collect. And I am not talking about the regular tax you get taxed on buying a pair of shoes. Companies get taxed more than and individual buying a product. This applies to crowd funding as well as it eventually becomes income for the person or organisation collecting it and therefore are taxed.

My honest and personal opinion on this topic. Regardless what you think about it. I would not fund this...
I wasn't specifically referring to your comment. Just the general attitude towards crowdfunding. I'm not for, or against it, but I can see it's potential.

Now, that being said, I have seen some pretty stupid/useless campaigns i.e. "Help fund *insert name here*'s vacation" (yes, this was a real GFM campaign), etc which I think is total BS. But, I don't see the harm in asking for a few donations to help improve your business.

In fact, people do it all the time on various other sites (ever been to a site with a "Donate" button?). Btw, what do you think "Premium Memberships" are for?:hmm:

Aenima

Reaction score
I have to say, I was a little surprised to see some of the negativity being shown towards this whole deal (although, I guess I shouldn't be surprised).

For one thing, to suggest that a donator gets "nothing in return" in this instance, is just absurd. Ben has spent the last few years sharing HUNDREDS of instructional/informational videos and tutorials for those interested in guitars and luthiery. There's probably just as much, if not more, (quality) information/instruction on his youtube channel as you'd get doing a whole year apprenticeship with a luthier. And he's done all of that (and continues to do so) completely on his time, and his dime. That's a lot of valuable content he's giving, totally free.

He started the kickstarter deal to acquire/upgrade some equipment so he can offer even more value to his customers - particularly in the way of quality kit guitars and projects at reasonable prices. Mind you, a lot of those customers are folks who have greatly benefited from all the content he's been offering for years...for FREE. The kickstarter deal just provides the opportunity for those who'd like to pitch in, in order to get even more from Crimson Guitars (in addition to everything else they've already provided, and continue to provide). Its a mutually beneficial situation.

Aside from all of that, though, I honestly had to chuckle at a few of the responses to this. If people want to donate THEIR money (to WHATEVER cause it may be), who cares? What difference does it make? You do what you want with your money, and don't worry about what others do with theirs. That's all it comes down to.

ajory72

Reaction score
I think he should offer an equivilent monetary discount on one of his kits for those that contribute to his kick starter idea.

I'd be in that idea for sure...

Latest Threads