Crews 50th Anniversary NEXT 5D

currypowder

Reaction score
I keep telling myself to stop buying Les Pauls. Then something catches my eye and I fold. I'm really going to need to pare the collection down at some point.

This particular model is from the Keys to the Rock Next 5D 50th Anniversary Limited Edition run of 20 guitars. Here's a link to the description page.

https://www.musicland.co.jp/pb/ktr/products/next-5d.html

What mainly drew me to this one was the pickups. A couple of weeks ago I posted a rave review about K&T pickups and this guitar has a set of slightly hotter (but not hot) Weeps that were hand wound with "very low tension". They sound just as good as my others with just a touch more mids in the bridge. Really fantastic.

As a bonus, the guitar is also fantastic. To me, it's spec'd more like a 58, though the neck is not what I would call huge. Maybe a touch bigger with slightly more shoulders than my Tokai LS320s. The frets are thin and tall like a 58 and my Greco EGF-1200. And I like that, though it doesn't seem to make any difference in my playing. Overall, it is definitely on par with the best.

The top could almost pass for a plain top, but there is some subtle figuring there. I like the Antique Tea Burst finish.

The only slight negative to this guitar is that the previous owner swapped the tuners for Grovers, and they are not my favorite. The original Klusons were included so I may go back to them one day.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
So what's your lucky number ?? I've only seen a few of the 20. You have impeccable taste by the way. Stunning as usual vote 2

MijHunter94

Reaction score
I keep telling myself to stop buying Les Pauls. Then something catches my eye and I fold. I'm really going to need to pare the collection down at some point.

This particular model is from the Keys to the Rock Next 5D 50th Anniversary Limited Edition run of 20 guitars. Here's a link to the description page.

https://www.musicland.co.jp/pb/ktr/products/next-5d.html

What mainly drew me to this one was the pickups. A couple of weeks ago I posted a rave review about K&T pickups and this guitar has a set of slightly hotter (but not hot) Weeps that were hand wound with "very low tension". They sound just as good as my others with just a touch more mids in the bridge. Really fantastic.

As a bonus, the guitar is also fantastic. To me, it's spec'd more like a 58, though the neck is not what I would call huge. Maybe a touch bigger with slightly more shoulders than my Tokai LS320s. The frets are thin and tall like a 58 and my Greco EGF-1200. And I like that, though it doesn't seem to make any difference in my playing. Overall, it is definitely on par with the best.

The top could almost pass for a plain top, but there is some subtle figuring there. I like the Antique Tea Burst finish.

The only slight negative to this guitar is that the previous owner swapped the tuners for Grovers, and they are not my favorite. The original Klusons were included so I may go back to them one day.

Welcome to the NFS Weeps Crews club! ;) Haha took you long enough and you can't resist those limited rare high spec'd runs :p. Unreal guitar eh? My Crews KTR FM59 Is a dream and a forever on my collection. Enjoy and HNGD!

zombywoof

Reaction score
I have one of the 6 with the British Blues version of Weeps. I like them a bit more than the NFS Weeps from my LTD which has been passed on to another here. Also have another set I purchased from a fellow MLP member that currently reside in the Grandy GLS-65. They are all great.
1607122464544.png
1607122506349.png
1607122957795.png
1607123101389.png
1607123117886.png

ThePanda

Reaction score
WOW

Those Crews are great!

How much do they normally weigh?

I may need to plan to join the club in the future...

zombywoof

Reaction score
If I remember correctly it's a hair under 9lbs. I'm not the one to ask though. Very rarely do my guitars see a scale or caliper.

@MCT has a twin to mine

MijHunter94

Reaction score
I have one of the 6 with the British Blues version of Weeps. I like them a bit more than the NFS Weeps from my LTD which has been passed on to another here. Also have another set I purchased from a fellow MLP member that currently reside in the Grandy GLS-65. They are all great.
View attachment 503932 View attachment 503933 View attachment 503934 View attachment 503935 View attachment 503936
Well there are all kinds of versions of the killer K&Ts.. Frictions in the CS Gravity IMDs in their flagship LED series NOS wire Weeps BB as you have Coda, Clicks... K&T for days haha If they werent so expensive Id buy n try every pair.

wulfman

ABB Fan
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congrats, and thanks for being the buyer who removed the temptation to get another LP! That has a great top and finish.

currypowder

Reaction score
Looks like I'm in good company. Thanks for sharing all these great Crews Single Cuts. I held off trying a Crews as long as I could figuring I didn't need one more rabbit hole to go down. Now that I've made that breach, I'm sure I'll be tempted by others.

I'd say mine weighs in the 9 pound area.

Latest Threads