CreamTone

Eric102673

Reaction score
People do pester him on social media. They tend to get shouted down by past customers who all got their parts within a couple weeks or so of ordering. Acti g like the complainers are impatient? Pretty nuts. Lonnie PMd me at the beginning of the week via Facebook and actually apologized. So that was a first. Told me my orders would ship “tomorrow”. So yesterday was a couple days after “tomorrow” and I let him know I noticed my orders never shipped.

He has apologized again and says they are going out today. I’m curious to see how long this will drag along for. I don’t genuinely believe they’ll ship today, but am willing to be surprised.

The funny thing was when I wrote Lonnie, I told him I accepted his apology but that truthfully I was less interested in the apology than I was in just getting a 100% realistic and straight answer on how much longer it would be. Just wanted him to level with me. Instead he made the shipping tomorrow claim which he has of course passed over by a few days now. So instead of simply saying Saturday, or it’ll be there in 3 weeks or whatever he wanted, he set an artificial deadline that he missed.

I hear the guy makes really great parts. I like the idea of supporting someone doing that. But he is making things so much harder on himself than he has to.

I think just leveling with people about how far he is behind would go a way towards softening the issue.Stopping taking orders, until he can get closer to caught up would too. I have no evidence to say this, but I can’t help but suspect as often happens in these small artisanal guitar businesses, Lonnie had a growth boom, but he needs the new orders to support the previous orders, because as he keeps reminding people in his social media, he is the only income for his family. So they are presumably living and operating the business on these new orders he’s not been able to yet. Hence his beef with chargebacks and the like.

It gets into dicey financial areas and has been the death of a lot of small guitar based businesses over the last couple decades. I’m hoping he isn’t in over his head. I’m hoping it’s just a matter of not enough trained hands. But in that case there is a point where taking orders without a disclaimer is not just in advisable, it’s deceptive. Especially when his current site has most products not listed as being Out of Stock, which implies they are in stock. Which most people would assume means ready to go, unless otherwise specified as having a turnaround time of some sort listed.

It is what it is. I’vebeen trying to post each time he posts about some new product online, because every post says something indicating folks are wanting to order. So I’ve tried to point out how behind he is with orders for folks. Some of whose are older than mine, fwiw. I’ve read of people waiting since December. Mine “only” go back to February. I’ve had entire custom guitars built for me faster than this. But here we are. :)

Eric102673

Reaction score
…and it did not go out. Anyone surprised?
He did start deleting my comments off his various Facebook posts. Over the last few weeks, including the one where he apologized.
Shady going to be shady. Why hide something if you are genuinely sorry?

Eric102673

Reaction score
Fair is fair. SOMEthing did get shipped this afternoon using the tracking number Lonnie sent me. So maybe most embarrassing squeaky wheel gets the grease? I’ll post if/when everything arrives.

My advice for others on this boat, post on his public Facebook account every time he posts about some new activity, product, trip or whatever.

Be polite, stick to the facts of your order, and use the opportunity to mention your order number in each postand the day/date when it was placed, so other would-be buyers know what they are on for. He seems pretty hell-bent on obfuscating that Info from others. For obvious reasons. Calling names, being crude, o matter how angry we might be, just seems to put up the defenses. Hard to fldefend the actual facts of the scenario though.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
This has been going on for years now. Fvck him! He should send people what they are owed and stop taking orders and then close shop.

Eric102673

Reaction score
And just to follow up one last time for my tale of woe, the parts did come in. Most of them anyway.

I like the pickup rings a lot. These are great. The poker chip is cool. Color goes with the rings, so… yeah. It’s fine.

The toggle switch tip? Eh. I’ve seen better. For $20 I’d skip it in the future unless you don’t have micro mesh at home, and 10 minutes to polish a standard $5 tip yourself. The color of the ones I’ve done on my own look closer to my real 50s Catalin tips. The one I got fromLonnie seems strangely dark to me. Maybe based off something he’s seen. The Real tips do vary in the wild, given enough UV exposure.

The tuners were the biggie in my order. I’d heard so much about Lonnie’s aging process looking great. Honestly, seeing these, I would have just bought some modern Klusons and aged them myself. I’ve done my own share of aging parts using the usual suspects/techniques. Was hoping Lonnie was bringing some real technical skill to the party.

Instead I got what I can only describe as a rush job. Me being an idiot I immediately Cleaned the tuners up. I was panicked that the real corrosion splotches that looked as though they were painted on, would be permanent, and I’d have the tuner-equivalent of having towed a guitar behind my car as a method of “relicing” it. I absolutely should have taken a photo of them first, as “evidence” of what I received. Real green tarnish that must have been brushed on wet, to corrode the tuner. Just left that way. Looked like paint runs. Almost every set had one side of the shaft with deep dark dots of blue/green tarnish, and watery teal runs. Telltale signs of liquid being brushed on and “pooling” on one side of the tuner. The shafts all had this on one side. So fake looking.

Frankly, if my whole company is about making accurate parts for resale, I’d have been mortified to send what Lonnie sent to me. I’ve seen better in home brew relics on eBay.

Oh, and the actual buttons… look totally utterly brand new. Never touched. Looks like perfect polished plastic. Totally anachronistic with the aged shafts and housings he sent. I managed to hand wipe a lot of the aging tarnish off the metal with a bit of elbow grease and now they look more acceptable. I’ll probably work on them a bit more on my own. Sigh.

I’m missing the strap buttons. I bought those on a lark, as I was curious to see what he was using. Maybe it is for the best. Who knows what he’s have done to some all parts buttons before sending them my way?

It’s possible he is in such a rush, this is not indicative of what he used to produce, or can produce. But as someone that’s seen original
Parts, and seen good aged parts, I can definitely say that other than the rings, which are great, and the ring with is fine, what I got in was mediocre at best and was substandard in the worse case. Which happens to be the most $$$ part.

So that is my first and last Creamtone experience. 6 months of waiting to find I could have done much of it better myself with a lot cheaper parts.

Your mileage may vary.

KStopper65

Reaction score
And just to follow up one last time for my tale of woe, the parts did come in. Most of them anyway.

I like the pickup rings a lot. These are great. The poker chip is cool. Color goes with the rings, so… yeah. It’s fine.

The toggle switch tip? Eh. I’ve seen better. For $20 I’d skip it in the future unless you don’t have micro mesh at home, and 10 minutes to polish a standard $5 tip yourself. The color of the ones I’ve done on my own look closer to my real 50s Catalin tips. The one I got fromLonnie seems strangely dark to me. Maybe based off something he’s seen. The Real tips do vary in the wild, given enough UV exposure.

The tuners were the biggie in my order. I’d heard so much about Lonnie’s aging process looking great. Honestly, seeing these, I would have just bought some modern Klusons and aged them myself. I’ve done my own share of aging parts using the usual suspects/techniques. Was hoping Lonnie was bringing some real technical skill to the party.

Instead I got what I can only describe as a rush job. Me being an idiot I immediately Cleaned the tuners up. I was panicked that the real corrosion splotches that looked as though they were painted on, would be permanent, and I’d have the tuner-equivalent of having towed a guitar behind my car as a method of “relicing” it. I absolutely should have taken a photo of them first, as “evidence” of what I received. Real green tarnish that must have been brushed on wet, to corrode the tuner. Just left that way. Looked like paint runs. Almost every set had one side of the shaft with deep dark dots of blue/green tarnish, and watery teal runs. Telltale signs of liquid being brushed on and “pooling” on one side of the tuner. The shafts all had this on one side. So fake looking.

Frankly, if my whole company is about making accurate parts for resale, I’d have been mortified to send what Lonnie sent to me. I’ve seen better in home brew relics on eBay.

Oh, and the actual buttons… look totally utterly brand new. Never touched. Looks like perfect polished plastic. Totally anachronistic with the aged shafts and housings he sent. I managed to hand wipe a lot of the aging tarnish off the metal with a bit of elbow grease and now they look more acceptable. I’ll probably work on them a bit more on my own. Sigh.

I’m missing the strap buttons. I bought those on a lark, as I was curious to see what he was using. Maybe it is for the best. Who knows what he’s have done to some all parts buttons before sending them my way?

It’s possible he is in such a rush, this is not indicative of what he used to produce, or can produce. But as someone that’s seen original
Parts, and seen good aged parts, I can definitely say that other than the rings, which are great, and the ring with is fine, what I got in was mediocre at best and was substandard in the worse case. Which happens to be the most $$$ part.

So that is my first and last Creamtone experience. 6 months of waiting to find I could have done much of it better myself with a lot cheaper parts.

Your mileage may vary.
Sounds bad. Relicing is a slow process, rushing it just makes it look like shit

Colnago1

Reaction score
I got my order this morning. 3 months wait, 2 phone calls to Lonnie, etc..
All the parts were shipped and everything is great. Very well made and exactly what I expected.
The only issue is the timeframe to get your order, and that isn’t the issue, the issue is not telling us how long it will be and letting us think that it’ll be a week or two.
Oh well, I’ll wait a bit and most likely try him again as I am happy with the parts.

Duble-e

Reaction score
I guess I got lucky. Reading here and on his FB page there's no way I'd buy from him... but I did. Ordered a poker chip on 7.29 and it was delivered on 8.2. My personal experience was great, fast communication and fast shipping.

Eric102673

Reaction score
If someone wants mine, and the switch tip he sent me, I’ll sell it to ya for what I paid. I’m just not even gonna end up using those at this point.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve recently ordered a couple different ABR bridges and they’re fantastic. I had to wait a little bit (maybe a month) on the Gold. The Nickel arrived in a couple of days. Both look great!
I'm still waiting for a couple of pickup rings, pickguards, and poker chip.

Fucker should be taking care of customers who bought and PAID FOR products 10-12 months ago before accepting new orders.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a couple of pickup rings, pickguards, and poker chip.

Fucker should be taking care of customers who bought and PAID FOR products 10-12 months ago before accepting new orders.
Hey "Pal" !
There are two inventory systems.
FIFO (first in first out) and FILO (first in last out).
Obviously Cream Man has mixed up his "Customer Service and Orders" system
with his "Inventory of non perishable goods" system.

Can't you at least give him the benefit of the doubt on his "good faith" mistake?
Gee Whiz!
A year goes by so quickly!

:rofl:

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's unfortunate unfulfilled customers continue to get slapped in the face a second time by c.t. when a recent customer gets delivery. that's a real tough one to take, if I had a pending order.

Latest Threads