Creamtone Issues

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well,.. that’s great..... “he’s back in the shop”...... what about all those months he wasn’t and didn’t have the common business sense to tell unsuspecting customers he wasn’t...... or put a stop to accepting money for orders knowing good and well he couldn’t fulfill them..... I guess that it’s all better now.... :hmm:

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all the negative stuff going on and being said regarding Creamtone, I at least wanted to share some positive news and give some of you guys frustrated with delays hope……hopefully. On Tuesday I rang up Creamtone on the phone and Lonnie answered. After talking for a few minutes he helped me put together an order of stuff he had in stock and ready to go. He then sent me an invoice that I paid. My entire order just showed up a few minutes ago and everything is perfect with it. So I know hearing that is going to piss off a few of you guys that have been waiting that I got my stuff in 2 days but hoping for everyone that it won’t be much longer here before you get what you are owed.
Well that's really flippin' nice.... when dozens of us, and likely hundreds of others, have been waiting 6 months or longer.

The asshole should be filling orders in the order received, not just the customers that called him this week.
I can't imagine that he doesn't have stock on a basic LP plastics set. No bridge or other hardware... just the plastics.

none2low

Reaction score
Really hoping that everyone who's been waiting on orders will be receiving them soon.

I can confirm receipt of the single ply jr trc I ordered a few days ago.

Not that anything can excuse what has happened, but fingers crossed that Lonnie makes things right whatever the cost.

MiniB

Reaction score
Bottom Line Lesson Up Front: If you are going to do this as a business, set yourself up for success. If you are a craftsman, engineer, inventor, artist and you don't have business skills, get/pay someone who does to help you. You may have the best product in the world, but if you can't produce and deliver to meet demand, folks will go elsewhere.

If you want to be a one man show and do everything yourself. Sell only what you have already produced or limit the number of orders to what you can provide. That is what Ebay, Etsy, or Reverb are for.

I feel like I have read this same story so many times over the years.
Dude starts making parts, pedals, pickups mostly as a hobby but doesn't mind the extra cash.
Internet hype, word of mouth, and good quality products at low volumes propels him to the next level of business.
Dude polishes up the website, forms a legit business on paper, looks like he has his stuff together and continues to pump out quality products.

THEN...

Either Dude realizes he can't do everything himself and hires some help, outsources, and grows his business, continuing to provide decent quality...

OR...

Dude continues to think he can do everything himself and is the victim of his his own success. Orders come in and can't be fulfilled. Some life event takes control of his time and attention. Orders keep coming in. Product can't be produced or delivered fast enough. He tries raising prices, but that just makes people more interested. Overwhelmed and overcome by stress, Dude stops communicating. Money keeps coming in, orders trickle out. The internet strikes back. Threads about experiences start floating around. Dude gets defensive or starts making excuses. "I'm only one guy working out of my garage/basement". The occasional Dude may put on a stop on new orders until he can catch up. The internet forgives but most go elsewhere. Others just keep letting the money come in until they realize they've reached the point of no return or their rep is so tarnished that no one wants to do business with them anymore.

As I write this, at least five businesses came to mind in detail and I know there are plenty more.
That's why I have so much respect and appreciation for someone like Wolfe at Wolfetone pickups...especially in light of other train wrecks that many of us are familiar with when it comes to custom pickups. Was there when he started and opened a communication with him, saw how much he was working his ass off to establish himself. And then that whole mess with Dr. Vintage. And still all these years later he's still making great pickups and most importantly getting them to his customers.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Well that's really flippin' nice.... when dozens of us, and likely hundreds of others, have been waiting 6 months or longer.

The asshole should be filling orders in the order received, not just the customers that called him this week.
I can't imagine that he doesn't have stock on a basic LP plastics set. No bridge or other hardware... just the plastics.
Well, if you had anything on order, maybe give him a call?
I hear he answers the phone.
So there's that!

:rofl:

TheWelder

Reaction score
I ordered an angel wing SG pickgaurd from him a couple years ago and had no issues getting it quickly. Of course, that was a couple years ago and things have changed, apparently.

I'm considering ordering a LP Jr truss rod cover from him as I'm having a b*tch of a time finding either an OEM or decent replica. If I do order one, I'll report back to this thread on how long the wait time is.

none2low

Reaction score
I'm considering ordering a LP Jr truss rod cover from him as I'm having a b*tch of a time finding either an OEM or decent replica
I ordered one a few days ago and received it today.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone else that offers these outside of vintage, so despite all the issues mentioned here in the thread there aren't many options.

I will say the single ply jr trc I received is vintage accurate in size and shape.

lawrev

Reaction score
That's why I have so much respect and appreciation for someone like Wolfe at Wolfetone pickups...especially in light of other train wrecks that many of us are familiar with when it comes to custom pickups. Was there when he started and opened a communication with him, saw how much he was working his ass off to establish himself. And then that whole mess with Dr. Vintage. And still all these years later he's still making great pickups and most importantly getting them to his customers.
Wolfe has been great - I completely agree. First class service. Have purchased 2 humbuckers inside the carved out p90 dogear cover. Great work, quick shipping.

MiniB

Reaction score
Wolfe has been great - I completely agree. First class service. Have purchased 2 humbuckers inside the carved out p90 dogear cover. Great work, quick shipping.
Yeah and especially seeing that during his run, we've seen some real disasters with other notable boutique pickup makers, and some shady stuff et al, but he's just stayed constant...got'em, you order them and you get them. Well-priced, good selection of stuff and he'll get you what you want. He did it right. But also when you read up on his background, he had substantial experience in the guitar industry in places like Warmoth and Tacoma Guitars (which I had not known about), so I can only assume that helped, especially in the areas of production. Not saying that other makers didn't or should have, but there's something to be said about taking some genuine bigger industry experience into something more cottage.

As for Creamtone, I got some parts years back with no issues...like pick guards, some rings I think, poker chips and covers. Have not ordered in a while so I assume things have really picked up and log-jammed over the years. Got several of those square jewel boxes tat come in handy for small parts.

Hope things even out again and they haven't burned too many bridges, because it's a good variety of stuff if you want to go 'vintage-styled' without having to lose your shirt. But I understand the feeling of those who feel they got burned.

Last edited:

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I ordered an angel wing SG pickgaurd from him a couple years ago and had no issues getting it quickly. Of course, that was a couple years ago and things have changed, apparently.

I'm considering ordering a LP Jr truss rod cover from him as I'm having a b*tch of a time finding either an OEM or decent replica. If I do order one, I'll report back to this thread on how long the wait time is.
I have a Les Paul Junior cover I'm not using. I prefer plain black covers. Message me if you'd like it, you can have it for the cost of postage.

FYI, I'm in Canada.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I have a Les Paul Junior cover I'm not using. I prefer plain black covers. Message me if you'd like it, you can have it for the cost of postage.

FYI, I'm in Canada.
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it! I've got one coming in the mail today or Monday. If it doesn't work out for me, I'll PM you.

kecom

Reaction score
Your whole post is absolutely correct but there's nothing wrong with being built up and having excessive long wait times if you are up front about it and don't take people's money, that's what distinguishes men from douchebags. Tom Holmes, Paul Cochrane, Dan Strain (used to before he went dealer exclusive) come to mind. You get on their waiting lists and you don't pay them a dime until your gear is ready. It's too bad guys like Lonnie or, say, Ian Anderson keep accepting new orders and taking money when they can't deliver.
Pete Cornish is a good example. He is practically a one man show with the help of his son and wife. He sends you and e-mail when you come up on his waiting list that he notifies you about in the beginning. Because of his big clientele and huge customer interest, he communicates exactly what he is doing with your order. He only charges you when he is ready to ship. He also lets you know of his dealers so you can order from them much faster if they have the item in stock. A one man show basically, and he functions very effectively and professionally, and consistently respectful and helpful. A huge difference in comparison to Creamtone.

kecom

Reaction score
Well,.. that’s great..... “he’s back in the shop”...... what about all those months he wasn’t and didn’t have the common business sense to tell unsuspecting customers he wasn’t...... or put a stop to accepting money for orders knowing good and well he couldn’t fulfill them..... I guess that it’s all better now.... :hmm:
Yea, what's crazy is according to him, it took him 6 months to reach the conclusion that he couldn't handle the excessive orders.....but he could handle taking everyones' money. Does it really take 6 months to figure out there's a whole lot more orders coming in than going out? Does that sound like a person that is mathematically deficient or someone that just doesn't care?

Last edited:

ESchmidt

Reaction score
Wow can’t believe what I’ve read in this thread. These one-man-shops need to be done. Reminds me of Andy at BadMojo Makeovers. Only difference is he flat out stole my R6. What’s with these jokers?!?!?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow can’t believe what I’ve read in this thread. These one-man-shops need to be done. Reminds me of Andy at BadMojo Makeovers. Only difference is he flat out stole my R6. What’s with these jokers?!?!?
There are more good, honest one-man shops than bad.

But when they go bad, they generally do it in a very bad way and end up screwing dozens and even hundreds of customers.

Forum group-buys have been the end of many businesses and friendships.

cableguy

Reaction score
Well guys, this news won’t come as a shock. The Creamtone website says it is currently closed, and current orders will be fulfilled ASAP. Also states that he will resume when better circumstances allow it. The order-waiting saga continues..

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Yea, what's crazy is according to him, it took him 6 months to reach the conclusion that he couldn't handle the excessive orders.....but he could handle taking everyones' money. Does it really take 6 months to figure out there's a whole lot more orders coming in than going out? Does that sound like a person that is mathematically deficient or someone that just doesn't care?
Sorry about your R6, but this is why I will NEVER send my guitars to someone I don't know. I don't care how many good reviews they have.

I'm lucky enough to have a guitar/music store right down the street from me, and a luthier about 25 minutes away.

When I hear/read stuff like this, it makes my stomach churn.

LP1865

Reaction score
Well guys, this news won’t come as a shock. The Creamtone website says it is currently closed, and current orders will be fulfilled ASAP. Also states that he will resume when better circumstances allow it. The order-waiting saga continues..
Hopefully he can fulfil all orders and get back to business. This should be a lesson for him and others as well

Latest Threads