Creamtone Issues

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
I'm surprised that Creamtone has not bothered to post an explanation here. People are reasonable about personal crises and/or various uncontrollable business issues, but understandably unwilling to get hosed or blown off. Without a reasonable explanation from Creamtone (who I have used with no issues other than high price, but not in the last 2 years) I would absolutely not place and order there, nor do I think it is ethical for Creamtone to accept more orders if they are so far behind anbd unwilling to communicate with buyers whose orders they have not fulfilled. You can't take money from people.
An explanation here or anywhere would be nice.... he had no issues announcing his price increases.

GR8TONE

Reaction score
I ordered a set of plastics on 2/3. On 2/5 received notification that the order is ready for shipment. Still waiting. ALL of my items said “in stock”. If these are made to order then it should be advertised that way. Customer service is delivering to expectations. If there was a disclaimer about manufacturing delays at the point of sale then I could have made a decision to either have been more patient knowing there would be a wait or could have shopped somewhere else. A crazy part or montreaux international order probably would have been here by now. I’ll wait this one out but likely my last order.

David Garner

Reaction score
I ordered a set of plastics on 2/3. On 2/5 received notification that the order is ready for shipment. Still waiting. ALL of my items said “in stock”. If these are made to order then it should be advertised that way. Customer service is delivering to expectations. If there was a disclaimer about manufacturing delays at the point of sale then I could have made a decision to either have been more patient knowing there would be a wait or could have shopped somewhere else. A crazy part or montreaux international order probably would have been here by now. I’ll wait this one out but likely my last order.
That's my gripe too. I don't mind waiting. But if it says "in stock," and it also says "most items ship in 3 business days" (which it does), then sitting here 2 weeks after I ordered with no shipping and no communication is irritating.

I love the dude's products. And I truly am not trying to pile on. I know a while back he was looking for angel investors and so forth. But at some point you have to stop the order process to allow you to fulfill what's in the pipeline. Just not shipping and not communicating only makes the problems worse.

LP1865

Reaction score
There's nothing on his website about the delay.
Seems like a professional and smart guy, even found a way around Dimarzio's double cream patent.

David Garner

Reaction score
I just got a couple of automated emails from Creamtone giving me a tracking number, but also indicating that there was going to be a delay.

I'm good with that. The communication was later than I'd like, but he is running the show by himself, so just saying "hey, give me some time" is good enough for me.

TrippyStormtrooper

Reaction score
Have a similar order in and same automated email response. Just got the follow up email today. Good to hear it's not just me, but sucks on the wait. I bought a replacement jack plate for my 58’ STD Historic because my old one broke/shattered. Now waiting around with my input jack hanging about...

dju

Reaction score
The two times I ordered from him (2019 and 2020) I received the parts within a couple weeks. I'm sad to hear that others have had trouble.

Is there another source for vintage-style plastics for a modern LP Standard/Traditional? I want to replace my Trad Pro with a new pickguard and rings but now I'm not sure about ordering from Creamtone until things change.
you can maybe try http://mojoaxe.com/ for the pickguard. and maybe the gibson historic rings.... I'm not sure if or how well the colors match but in many cases the colors from most if not all vendors don't match when purchased/made from the same vendor.

dj

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can maybe try http://mojoaxe.com/ for the pickguard. and maybe the gibson historic rings.... I'm not sure if or how well the colors match but in many cases the colors from most if not all vendors don't match when purchased/made from the same vendor.

dj
Colors often don't match because they are different plastics. And Gibson often gets the colors mismatched. No big deal, and it's historically correct.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sure this was meant to be sarcastic, but other than possibly aging the parts and soldering harnesses together, I’m willing to bet $100 that nothing is made in house.
They most certainly are made by him in-house.

Saiko

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered a pickguard from Creamtone after all. I did not order rings because I found an extra GIbson Historic set that I forgot I had.

I got the automated email pretty quickly and a second email the next morning thanking me for being a returning customer. Later that day I got a tracking number but with the caveat that it would not ship for a few days because everything is made in-house, blah blah blah, the usual.

I will post an update here when the pickguard arrives but so far so good.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait wait wait.... he pours the plastic into molds to make knobs, rings, and pickguards? And casts metal to make pointer washers, ABR-1s, and tailpieces?
Makes the knobs, cuts the pick guards out... does the aging himself. Call him... he will tell you what he does.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they have them in the 50's ?
Average Joe didn't have personal injection molding but didn't have CNC machining and 3D printing to make the molds, either. A mold costs on average $10-12 K otherwise, plus the materials cost, and you have to ask Lonnie if he owns the tech to make his own parts. I'm guessing he doesn't.

Latest Threads