Crazy idea / maybe this already exists?

redking

Reaction score
@northernguitarguy inspired this idea with his non-wireless in-ears rig - I'm thinking of creating what is essentially a 2 channel guitar cable where one channel is the regular 1/2 inch mono guitar cable and the other channel carries a mono in-ears mix to your compact personal in-ears monitor that you clip to your belt such as the Behringer P2. https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CH4

This way, only one cable that you have to manage as the guitarist and you run the monitor mix to the player's pedalboard or amp from the mixer and you are good to go.

Any reason this would not work? (ie. interference between the 2 signals in the cable?) Would the monitor signal need a booster on it due to long cable run? Crazy idea? Does this exist already?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I think it will work great. I use the stereo P1 headphone monitor. Because we’re a trio, we each get a stereo mix. I don’t clip it to my belt, but instead use a headphone extension cable.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No invention needed--this already exists today. Any insert cable will work for this--TRS 1/4" male on one and and two TS 1/4" males on each end of the Y. Or just a stereo cable and put the guitar hard left and the monitor mix hard right and separate them on the device.

redking

Reaction score
No invention needed--this already exists today. Any insert cable will work for this--TRS 1/4" male on one and and two TS 1/4" males on each end of the Y. Or just a stereo cable and put the guitar hard left and the monitor mix hard right and separate them on the device.
this will not work - there are 2 separate sources on one end and 2 separate destinations on the other end. I think I'm gonna want one 1/4 inch and one xlr on one end and 2 - 1/4 on the other end. Probably does exist somewhere - but I've never seen them in a typical music store.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you're really just describing a 2-cable snake with one XLR to TS, and one TS to TS. You can either custom make it, or way simpler (and cheaper) is to just buy the two cables individually and zip tie them together. Done.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
this will not work - there are 2 separate sources on one end and 2 separate destinations on the other end. I think I'm gonna want one 1/4 inch and one xlr on one end and 2 - 1/4 on the other end. Probably does exist somewhere - but I've never seen them in a typical music store.
That's a custom "loom". You won't find it off the shelf. I can make one for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

ChuckHall03

Reaction score
If I’m understanding correctly, I do something kind of similar, but not for in ear monitoring. I keep a Lehle amp switcher at the end of my board with both outputs activated. One runs to my amp, and the other straight into my audio interface for recording. Once my SM57 arrives, I’ll switch it up and just mic the cab, but think this can be easily used to run into an in ear monitor.

redking

Reaction score
You need two differnt types of cable
I will probably want to get a few of them made for all the guitar players in the group plus a couple of spares and just keep them with my monitoring / recording rig and only use them for the gigs / sessions. Once I have a better idea of what I need I will let you know Freddy. I assume both cables can be encased in the same outer insulation tubing and would look like a normal guitar cable to at a quick glance?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There are multi-pair cables available but the problem is the guitar signal cable needs to be a specific beast. A low capacitance co-ax cable with a good braided shield. I think you would have to use that for the guitar signal and a suitable cable for the IEM (stereo? mono?) so two separate cables. Then I would bundle them into a loom using expandable nylon sleeving. I just built a loom for my rig...a 7 cable method stereo guitar rig with multiple cables all wrapped in a nylon expandable sleeve. It's very slick....I'll post some pics when I get home tomorrow. (out at the mominlaw's right now)

redking

Reaction score
The IEM cable would be mono for the most immediate project I am thinking of - that is assuming the Behringer P2 splits that signal to deliver dual mono to both ears. Otherwise this whole idea doesn't work lol.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah looks like the P2 does mono or stereo. So just two cables.....one for guitar and the other a twisted shielded pair that can handle stereo if you want to go that way in the future.

Here's my loom....techflex sleeving on the bundle and then each whip has it's own smaller colour coded sleeving as well.

P1080428.jpg

Why do I have two of them? Because I'm a pro. It's such a custom item, if it ever fails I need a backup!

redking

Reaction score
yeah looks like the P2 does mono or stereo. So just two cables.....one for guitar and the other a twisted shielded pair that can handle stereo if you want to go that way in the future.

Here's my loom....techflex sleeving on the bundle and then each whip has it's own smaller colour coded sleeving as well.

View attachment 521722

Why do I have two of them? Because I'm a pro. It's such a custom item, if it ever fails I need a backup!
Does the flex sleeve come in a smaller diameter version that would be tighter / more compact on just 2 cables?

Latest Threads