Cracks on Ewards E-LP-98LTS

xlt

Reaction score
My first post here, and I learnt a lot about MIJ Les paul, and I ended up buying an Edwards,

Overall, the guitar is really good. needless to say, i think u guys know about Edwards better than me.

I am not doing a review here, because I got an issue with my Edwards, and I really need your helps

Neck Joint Cracking:
I noticed a few cracks at the neck joint. They have been bothering me... I have heard the good craftsmanship from Edwards....... I am not sure if there are just cracks on the paint/finish, or they are from the wood? Is it a defect? Do they affect the guitar in terms of durability, playability, tone? What are the causes of these cracks? I dont think it is the shipment because the guitar package came perfect and the guitar was so well wrapped and protected. I talked the seller, who said that the guitar was inspected before shipping. The seller told me I should claim the insurance. What I should do? Please advise.

Front View:
IMG_1864.jpg

Front View Closed up:
IMG_1865.jpg

Top View:
IMG_1866.jpg

Top View:
IMG_1876.jpg

Side View:
IMG_1871.jpg

Kølabrennern

Reaction score
Ouch. While that could be just the lacquer, I'd definitely file an insurance claim. It would bother the hell out if me if I had to look at that every time I picked it up.

Does it flex if you lightly try and bend the neck?

joebonsai

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
to me it looks as a laquer problem, and I agree with Kolabrennern try the insurance!!
Was it a private seller or a professional dealer???

:hippie:

xlt

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies :)

The neck is pretty firm even with those cracks. It doesn't flex at all.

I bought it from a professional dealer...

If I file an insurance claim, how do I prove to the shipping company that these cracks are caused by shipping?

If these are just nitro finish cracks, I can live with it.... but i am just can't tell where are the cracks from........... need more helps here....

joebonsai

Reaction score
Try to find a luthier to fix the problem wood or laquer crack. I could be laquer crack due to very big temperature amplitudes. The problem is that the shipping company normally deals with the SHIPPER not with the addressee. I've worked for UPS and they handel damages or missing packages ALWAYS with the shipper, because there's the accountnumber!!!!
That means you'll have to stay intouch with the shipper!!!

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Did you pay for it with credit card, or PayPal? If so, you have some leverage on the seller.

xlt

Reaction score
I pay with my credit card.

I am going to get in touch with the shipping company and the seller. Hopefully everything will turn out to be smooth.

Would these kind of cracks reduce the durability and playability of the guitar?

jama

Reaction score
How about whole picture of guitar front and back? I want to see more of this Edwards headstock.

xlt

Reaction score
there are no problems with the headstock or anywhere else...

Hi Joe,

I already talked to the dealer about insurance claims. Do you any further procedure for claim? How can I prove that the damage is done by shipping?

Thx,

jama

Reaction score
I am thinking to buy Edwards. I would like overall picture of your Edwards along with the pictures of cracks. Please to help me make a decision. Thanks.

joebonsai

Reaction score
Normally, when the package or the case is not damaged it's gonna be a very hard way to tell the shipping-company that's their fault!!!
To all, and this IS REAL and with ALL shipping companies the same:
a package has to be prepared that it could fall
......and THIS IS TRUE
80cm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wow:
2.62ft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wow:
....that's the normal height of the transportbelts in the package centers!!!
would anybody of let a packaged guitar especially a Les Paul guitar with the head angle from nearly 1 meter????????????????
.....and all those claim departments work like this....if it's not totally brocken, you'll get nothing!!!

That's their normal procedure

xlt

Reaction score
Hey Jama, I will post those photos as soon as I have a camera.

Hi Joe, sounds like I am not going to get an insurance from the shipping company. I am still talking with the dealer, see what he will do.

Hi Den, I will try to talk to the credit card company, see what they can do...

jama

Reaction score
Hey Jama, I will post those photos as soon as I have a camera.

Hi Joe, sounds like I am not going to get an insurance from the shipping company. I am still talking with the dealer, see what he will do.

Hi Den, I will try to talk to the credit card company, see what they can do...

Thanks xlt, most xelent.

xlt

Reaction score
Just a follow up to this issue.

I have talked to the seller about this crack issue. They are very certain that the guitar was inspected before shipping by the store guitar tech and there was no cracks at all. They believe the cracks are due to shocking during delivery.

In this case, only thing I can do is to claim the shipping insurance.

Joebonsai, can you give me some helps here?

The seller has made the claim to Japan Post, but he told me that I have to make a claim to Canada Post, where I receive my shippment. I talked Canada Post, they told me they can't do anything because the claim is between the seller and post office in the originated country.

My question is: how do Japan Post examine the damage? Will they contact me about the claim process?

Thank you,

jama, I am during out of town. if you want photos asap, visit japanaxe forum, there are a lot of people posting their new Edwards with pictures

tekt

Reaction score
Normally I'm just a lurker on this board, but reading this post and seeing the pictures motivated me to respond.

This is not evidence of lacquer cracking or crazing.

One of two things are going on here:

The guitar was painted before the glue joint at the neck dried, and no one at the factory or the person who sold it to you didn't notice, (unlikely), or the neck is loose. You would have to remove the strings, secure the guitar body to a solid surface, and check the neck movement with a dial indicator to verify this, but that's what's going on.

The seller is responsible for sending you a defective guitar. The neck joint on a set neck guitar is the strongest part of the instrument, and wouldn't move if you were to snap the neck off of the guitar. In fact I have seen guitars with broken necks that were still unblemished at the neck joint.

The shipper is denying the claim because they know that the carton was undamaged, and if your guitar were shaken so hard the paint failed, there would be lots of other damaged items as well.

Send your guitar back. The neck is loose.

Kølabrennern

Reaction score
Just a follow up to this issue.

I have talked to the seller about this crack issue. They are very certain that the guitar was inspected before shipping by the store guitar tech and there was no cracks at all. They believe the cracks are due to shocking during delivery.

In this case, only thing I can do is to claim the shipping insurance.

Joebonsai, can you give me some helps here?

The seller has made the claim to Japan Post, but he told me that I have to make a claim to Canada Post, where I receive my shippment. I talked Canada Post, they told me they can't do anything because the claim is between the seller and post office in the originated country.

My question is: how do Japan Post examine the damage? Will they contact me about the claim process?

Thank you,

jama, I am during out of town. if you want photos asap, visit japanaxe forum, there are a lot of people posting their new Edwards with pictures

Where did you buy it? When I bought a Japanese Epiphone Junior from Ishibashi and it arrived with a broken headstock, they let me keep it and refunded me the repair cost (well, still waiting for that money, insurance takes ages). I of course opened the shipping box at the post office with staff members present as witnesses in case something was broken. I then proceeded to have one of them to sign a report that it actually did arrive damaged. I also took pictures of the shipping box and all packaging material and mailed those off to the seller, which included them in his report to the insurance company. Normally you have to return the guitar so the shipping company can inspect it, but in my case pictures were enough because I unpacked and photographed at the post office to be on the safe side. I've learned that from previous experiences.

I also disagree a little with the guy posting above me. I've seen Edwards LPs arrive with laquer cracks before due to shock impact in shipping before. Not saying the neck definitely isn't loose, but there's a chance it's only the hard poly lacquer underneath the topcoat that flexed so much it cracked.

xlt

Reaction score
Thank you for your opinions.

I am going to take the guitar to a luthier for inspection...

I bought the guitar from Ishibashi.

The worst thing in my case is that the package came so perfect. no damages, well wrapped, string lowered. I check the guitar all over for cosmetic issues and then started playing it. I didn't notice the cracks at neck joint after a week of playing... It is really hard to see unless it is inspected under sunlight.

I wouldn't think the shipper will give me insurance, but that is the only thing i can do now.

Also, I have emailed Ishibashi, they insisted that the guitar tech has inspect the guitar (all over, including the neck joint) before shipping it to me. They claimed there was NO cracks at all. I have tried to ask for an exchange. They wouldn't do so... What can I do? I seriously doubt about what Ishibashi is saying.... but What can I do?

What I can do is hoping these are JUST finish crack...

tekt

Reaction score
This is not just a "finish crack". The only way for the paint to crack along the neck-joint is for the neck to move, period.

If the guitar were subjected to so much shock as to cause paint failure, there would be lots of other damage to the instrument, like at the headstock, the weakest area of the guitar.

You have a dealer who has sold you a defective guitar, and is unwilling to honor the product.

The shipping carrier isn't going to be duped into paying for a manufacturer's defect. They probably ship more merchandise in one day than the music dealer will ship in a lifetime, and they understand what causes damage. They know that nothing shook your guitar so violently as to cause the paint to crack, yet left no damage to the shipping carton, not to mention the other cargo being shipped. It's a silly theory when you think about it.

In the USA this would be considered fraud, and would be easily corrected.

If possible, you need to send this guitar back to the seller F.O.B., and call your credit card company and have the charges removed from your bill.

Let the seller know that you are sending the guitar back, and he has one of two choices:
Send you a new guitar free of defects, or you will buy your new guitar somewhere else. Good luck, and keep everyone posted.

Latest Threads