Cracks in 1993 Les Paul Studio

drock5000

Reaction score
IMG_1876.jpg
IMG_1877.jpg
hey guys, wondering if you can take a glance at this and let me know if you think the cracks are structural or just paint. They are thin - can't get the edge of a pick into them, but there could always be something structural causing them in the first place. Let me know what you think! Note: the crack on where the neck meets the body goes all the way around the neck.

Frogfur

Reaction score
Pictures for someone here, so they can answer your question.

Felix79

Reaction score
Is that yours? If I didn't know better I would think it had been dropped.
Could temperature and humidity changes over time cause the wood to expand and contract enough to cause the same type of cracking around the joint areas of the finish?

drock5000

Reaction score
hey guys, I took it in on a trade for an early 90s american strat. I didn't think much of the cracks, just assumed they were only the finish because of the location - then the more I looked at it I started thinking that there may be something wrong structurally and that maybe it took a nasty fall at some time. Thanks for your replies, much appreciated!

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Member
Reaction score
It`s "normal", or can been seen often, for the paint to crack around the neck joint.

It`s hard to tell from the other if it is just a paint crack or more.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
That's the problem with solid finishes. They hide a lot of things.

With that second photo, it would be nice to see if that crack follows the grain. If it did, then I'd be worried. My hunch (because of the curve) is that it's likely just the finish but without being able to see underneath, you can't say for sure.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
In my humble opinion it looks like a crack that was caused by external stress (dropped, took a hit, underneath some heavy equipment). The real question is, did the stress cause the finish to crack, or did a structural crack cause the finish to crack.
You need a pro to make the final verdict. My guess is a structural crack, not all the way trough so you won't notice much. If wouldn't be too happy with it considering the trade in.

Macronaut

Reaction score
Just keep an eye on it to watch that it doesn't get worse. And I suggest not doing any neck bends.

Fritz44

Reaction score
Around the neck joint...I'd say finish crack but that second photo looks too deep to be a finish crack my friend :(

yamariv

Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised some are even considering that to be a finish crack....:shock: That's structural for SURE!! It's been dropped or hit hard at some point in my opinion

ARandall

Reaction score
Thats looking on the structural side to me as well. That sort of crack is just what the SG's get when they break around the body end of the neck shaft.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
It looks like someone tried to drop it an octave by using the neck.
I agree with most here that its structural.

endial

Reaction score
^^THAT is very intuitive. Freakin' brilliant.

Just don't use carpenter's glue. Elmer's. Like the man said.

irocdave12

Reaction score
o_OIt's only cracks in the finish unless of course it's really cracks in the wood. Hope this helps

Latest Threads