cracked neck

les paul, ugh what do I know

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's not unrepairable, but.... Might be around the 200 mark for a good tech to repair it and the finish. Is it worth it? Depends on how you feel about the guitar pre break.
That's about half the cost of a properr neck repair.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
And OP's neck is seriously shattered... not a simple repair.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And OP's neck is seriously shattered... not a simple repair.

Oh, hell yes. I was talking about the classic break at the headstock / nut.

That one there? One might as well steam that out and start fresh with a new neck.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, hell yes. I was talking about the classic break at the headstock / nut.

That one there? One might as well steam that out and start fresh with a new neck.
But like the headstock repair, not worth it on that import.
I can see it if it's got sentimental value, but that's an import from China and may not even be an Epiphone.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
But like the headstock repair, not worth it on that import.
I can see it if it's got sentimental value, but that's an import from China and may not even be an Epiphone.

Chinese? -forget it. New guitar time.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ugh, yeah no. No way.. That's about six ways of bad.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I think there’s a 90-day return window on it. This is an ultra heavy aged Murphy Lab. It went from offensively expensive to less offensively expensive. In all seriousness, it’s about a 30% off retail. I have no idea if that’s reasonable or not. That’s why I came here and decided to ask for opinions.
isn't that just part of "ultra heavy" aging?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Actually the OP is a pretty easy repair. When it's a polyester finish like that you can just go to town with CA. Shoot some medium CA into the crack and immediately clamp it up. Then wick thin CA everywhere there's a hairline crack in wood and/or finish. Finish off by building up thick CA to fill in missing chunks of poly finish. Sand and buff. 1 hour job. Solid as a rock.
Frankly, the hardest part of the whole job would be trying to match the trans color in the clear. With the method I described above.....that ain't happening.

redking

Reaction score
I think we are talking about 2 different necks in this thread - the OP is a Chinese epiphone and BWK is asking about this discounted Murphy Aged Gibson Custom Shop model. That is what looks a like a routine Gibson repair that can be fixed up to last basically forever if done right. If the discount is as big as you say, I would not let this prevent me from buying it.

Latest Threads