Cracked Bindings - GC

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I wasted half my day today at GC playing various guitars. The main reason I went was to try a few reissue Les Pauls, but I played everything - LPs, SGs, Explorers, even Fenders.

I started noticing that every Gibson I played had cracks along the neck binding at each fret. The cracks literally lined up at each fret down the neck. I played roughly eight different Gibson LPs & SGs that each had cracks along the neck binding.

What is this from, is it the environment?

bigconig

Reaction score
Lack of humidity. The same thing makes fret ends stick out on non bound necks. If the air is too dry the fretboard shrinks. It amazes me with all the inventory GCs have they don't bother to maintain proper humidity.

Belzeebub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Lack of humidity. The same thing makes fret ends stick out on non bound necks. If the air is too dry the fretboard shrinks. It amazes me with all the inventory GCs have they don't bother to maintain proper humidity.

So this is why when I tested out their Vintage Mahogany LPs, all the fret ends were like barb wire to my hand. It felt like the entire neck was lined with dozens of razor blades.

carydad

Reaction score
Pretty sad. A little humidifier or an occasional fret board dressing would keep them happy. I had GC bring in a class-5 quilt for me once, and the neck was horrible like that. It's cool an a guitar thats 30+ years old. Not so cool on new stock.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I bought one LP from GC (in Boston) about 1 1/2 years ago, and it had the exact same problem...big time! And it's definitely a humidity problem (or lack thereof). I have to imagine that this could be a real problem for Gibson from a warranty standpoint if many of their new guitars are developing this problem while hanging on the walls of their largest retailer!

Latest Threads