Crack On Binding Along Whole Neck

R8 Pilot

Reaction score
Guys...need some opinions on this newly arrived today 2013 Trad Pro 11..which has a crack type line along the whole length of the neck in the binding on both sides.

On these high magnification photos the crack or line looks factory original in that the Nitro is fully sealed over the line and the crack is very smooth and cannot be felt at all if you rub you finger along it.

Looking at it closely in person it is under the clear coat and even though the photos make it look like the line has a ridge the neck binding is perfectly smooth running up and down and across the whole neck.

Looking at it normally is is certainly noticeable but but really popping in your face so to speak.

So is this just very poor binding work from the factory or has the wood shrunk or is the fretboard lifting and causing the binding to crack underneath.

Guitar feels and plays fabulous and the neck is true straight.

Guitar is perfect in every other way.

So is this just going to be a cosmetic issue or is there something sinister underlying this that will cause me problems in the time ahead.

Seller in the States is willing to provide a refund if I want.

resize1.jpg%7Eoriginal

resize.png%7Eoriginal

Hanover Fist

Reaction score
I bought a new guitar that had a similar condition. It played and sounded great, but the horrible binding workmanship bothered me. I eventually sold it at a loss. If it bothers you, send it back.

geezberry

Reaction score
its not a crack. Its a line where the clear coat ends. You could probably even it out with some steel wool and buff it. But nothing wrong with sending it back either.

ARandall

Reaction score
Let me guess....a pink lined case??

JS has the right of it, the clearcoat is on the sides of the binding, but never the top. I would guess that some of the dye from the case lining (or something else in the red spectrum) has wicked its way under the clear.

ctkarslake

Reaction score
Freaky, I have never seen such a line. Binding usually cracks perpendicularly to this line at each fret end due to expansion/contraction of the wood while the metal fret stays put. Really your call what to do. Was the seller aware of this line before you bought it? If it's "original equipment", that would be pretty poor craftsmanship IMO. Doesn't look like binding bleed to me (and the interior of the case is white...). If it bothers you enough, send it back. A full refund is very fair!

tzd

Reaction score
its not a crack. Its a line where the clear coat ends. You could probably even it out with some steel wool and buff it. But nothing wrong with sending it back either.

This post got me thinking. Every White Traditional Pro II I have seen in the stores have some level of yellow discoloration on the back from contact with rubber stands. The white nitro paint is extremely prone to discoloration.

It could be possible that the reaction of the binding plastic and glue with the white nitro paint underneath it could have somehow caused this line of discoloration to appear through the back of the binding.

Birdseyeview

Reaction score
This post got me thinking. Every White Traditional Pro II I have seen in the stores have some level of yellow discoloration on the back from contact with rubber stands. The white nitro paint is extremely prone to discoloration.

It could be possible that the reaction of the binding plastic and glue with the white nitro paint underneath it could have somehow caused this line of discoloration to appear through the back of the binding.

Not a line of discoloration

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Never seen anything like that, but doesn't look like an issue to me. Think this is a cosmetic flaw. I can not imagine Gibson would send a guitar with such a flaw to a dealer so I guess it happened later. Looks like some sort of stain to me.

I wouldnt send it back if I liked the guitar, but I would totally understand if you did.

RedMastiff

Banned
Reaction score
Unless it sounds absolutelly killer and has a killer tone, i would refund it.
If it sounds epic, i would ask to a luthier if its just finish, and if he says its ok, i wont look it back

azzapeel

Reaction score
Ask for a huge discount,,,,, if it gets you nowhere,,, send it back.

grayd8

Reaction score
I've sent guitars back for less.

When I spend top dollar for a new guitar, I expect it to be nearly flawless.
My epiphone came from GC in perfect condition, my first gibson I sent back for deep scratches that couldn't be buffed out.

jeffy

Reaction score
Might even come out with some rubbing alcohol. Strange since the case is white in the pics.

twilliams

Reaction score
I wonder if somebody tried to dye the fret board, it looks pretty dark, and accidentally got the dye in that seam...I would hit it with some naphtha (lighter fluid) to see if it comes off.

Latest Threads