Crack lines in 2019 Junior finish

p90rules

Reaction score
So I'm going to be checking this Junior out tonight... I'm getting it very cheap due to the cracks in the finish... 2 lines on the top.
Is this quite common with newer Gibsons.
Would it put you off...?
I can have it for £650
Your comments welcome guys.
Screenshot_20200917-083307.jpg

p90rules

Reaction score
He's bringing it round tonight... Lives about 3 miles away, so its down to me if I like it

Caretaker

Reaction score
If it`s a Gibson its called checking.
If it`s an Epiphone they are cracks.
Hard to answer yur question not knowing what it is.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
If it`s a Gibson its called checking.
If it`s an Epiphone they are cracks.
Hard to answer yur question not knowing what it is.
OP says it's a Gibson and it has a real, angled wrap tail, not a lightning bar ;)

bum

Reaction score
Looks like he took it while riding past on a motorbike

endial

Reaction score
Price seems fair. Are you going to play it or sell it?

Admittedly those cracks shouldn't be there on a year-and-a-half old guitar. Check his story about how they got there. You should be able to tell if they are structural or not (likely not).

YellowJoshua

Reaction score
I bought a 2019 Junior in August last year and within a month it had cracks all over the front - I genuinely hadn't actually used it, it had just lived in its case. I contacted Gibson with the following photo and was told it was moisture cracking and I was entitled to a refund / exchange - the shop I bought it from then replaced it for me. I looked at the shop's website and they had three others for sale and had to disclose that all had cracks on the front.

moreles

Reaction score
If it's a Gibson, it shouldn't crack like that, period. And no, guitars do not generally develop major finish cracks like that with age unless they're neglected and get cold/hot, or wet/dry, or get bought by someone who's into relicing. Unless he used it as a weapon in a bar fight and damaged other parts, or dropped it, it's probably weather/climate-induced, or a factory defect. I wouldn't want it because it's sort of ugly, but with a price drop, it could be a good deal.

cherrick

Reaction score
Pull off the pickguard and see if the cracks go under.

I would be very concerned.

Jead

Reaction score
If it sounds good - That's a good price. If you're only interested in cosmetics a nitro finish is not for you. Eventually nitro will check or crack or chip etc, I would agree that a new finish should not have cracks and as noted above if the cracks just appeared it's probably due to improperly cured wood. If it cracked from heat/cold I wouldn't worry at all. The nice thing about nitro is that the finish can be repaired or restored if you wanted.....poly finishes.... not so much. FWIW I have a 2020 LPJr made in late 2019 that is a beast. I think Gibson got these right and if the one you check out plays well and sounds good acoustically its probably a winner. The Gibson P90 is still a really good pickup and I'd have no worries there. In the end, for me anyway, it's about how a guitar plays, feels, and sounds. It doesn't hurt that I think Jr's look pretty badass as well.
Hope it works out for you

vortexx

Reaction score
Not checking.

And, this is nonsense.
That's how checking generally starts. Unless you do an extreme hot cold change, you won't be getting the tiny cracks for quite a while. If it's nitro, it's totally normal if the previous person wasn't keeping it in their home all the time, or getting in any situation that needed it to acclimatize (but didn't).

no jimmy p

Reaction score
people charge extra and people pay extra for that ... if the price is right , in your opinion , buy it and enjoy ...

cherrick

Reaction score
That's how checking generally starts. Unless you do an extreme hot cold change, you won't be getting the tiny cracks for quite a while. If it's nitro, it's totally normal if the previous person wasn't keeping it in their home all the time, or getting in any situation that needed it to acclimatize (but didn't).
Nope. Checking does not "start" with two literally straight and parallel lines parallel with the main axis of the guitar, and separated by inches.

Latest Threads