Crack in top under fingerboard - Doesn’t seem normal?

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Can anyone give some direction with this crack I found in my brand new Epiphone Les Paul Custom Koa? I lifted the neck pickup to see if the top was indeed a full Koa cap or just a veneer. After looking inside the cavity I noticed something that didn’t seem very normal.

There is a crack running all the way down the body starting from under the fretboard down towards the bottom of the cavity. The crack seems wider on the top. I also have no way of knowing if the crack gets worse forward under the fretboard.

I will attach several images. What do you guys think? Is this a faulty neck joint? Or is this king of thing normal? The crack is at an odd spot also as it’s sitting 3/4s of the way across the neck. My gut says this isn’t good. I just received the guitar a few days ago so I’m sure it can be returned.

Your thoughts?

Kevin

6CEB8676-5874-4184-8126-A58C25805613.jpeg

5C809C48-EF6F-4414-B063-B4A41326A638.jpeg

4A28F5ED-C72B-41CC-8C6B-403110271275.jpeg

Spirit

Reaction score
Hi ,it looks like a very bad neck tenon joint , it looks offset also.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an epi with same gap and offset. shoddy workmanship.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
I have an epi with same gap and offset. shoddy workmanship.

I see. I notice also with mine that the cavities are routed extremely rough. The rear control cavity has huge wood particles sitting on the bottom covered in thick poly.

Honestly the whole guitar looks like it was rushed through every step of manufacturing.

Spirit

Reaction score
Send it back if it’s possible,if your not happy have them replace it .it does look extremely rough.I’ve attached a pic of mine for comparison

From the images provide it also looks like a multiple piece body Koa veneer then 3 more layers

Attachments

• ABF5D19B-B7E0-46CD-9B19-A75E93C2C989.jpeg
    ABF5D19B-B7E0-46CD-9B19-A75E93C2C989.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 00DACAC7-DA78-4B6E-AC6C-75592AD58454.jpeg
    00DACAC7-DA78-4B6E-AC6C-75592AD58454.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
Send it back if it’s possible,if your not happy have them replace it .it does look extremely rough.I’ve attached a pic of mine for comparison

From the images provide it also looks like a multiple piece body Koa veneer then 3 more layers
I had a 2007 Custom that had those layers and the wood to me looked like mystery wood! The binding all the way around the body and up the neck didn't sit flush with the body it just seemed like poor quality to me. I didn't keep long. I wound up actually getting that gold 59 for it.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Can anyone give some direction with this crack I found in my brand new Epiphone Les Paul Custom Koa? I lifted the neck pickup to see if the top was indeed a full Koa cap or just a veneer. After looking inside the cavity I noticed something that didn’t seem very normal.

There is a crack running all the way down the body starting from under the fretboard down towards the bottom of the cavity. The crack seems wider on the top. I also have no way of knowing if the crack gets worse forward under the fretboard.

I will attach several images. What do you guys think? Is this a faulty neck joint? Or is this king of thing normal? The crack is at an odd spot also as it’s sitting 3/4s of the way across the neck. My gut says this isn’t good. I just received the guitar a few days ago so I’m sure it can be returned.

Your thoughts?

Kevin

View attachment 652157

View attachment 652158

View attachment 652159
I see they do use a veneer on these kola models. Had a guy on the FB epiphone page try and tell me that the kola models didn't use veneers. I didn't feel like arguing with the guy but i hate when people spread misinformation about these guitars. I think i will take this picture and show it to him. I wouldn't worry about the crack man. I would be more concerned with the quality of the build that just looks aweful to me man. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Knoby

Reaction score
I own 10-11 of these new epiphone inspired by LPs and not one of them looks like that!!
Fair enough. I only have 1 old epi.

Point is, Cant expect perfection at budget level. Thats not to say high level is always perfect.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Fair enough. I only have 1 old epi.

Point is, Cant expect perfection at budget level. Thats not to say high level is always perfect.
I had an older 2007 custom and yes the quality was really bad. I think that is the problem people remember owning an older epi and just don't realize how far they have come since! I used to be a guitar snob back in the day. I wouldn't touch an epiphone but in my old age I don't need a 3k guitar nor can I justify owning one. Here's a pic of the pickup cavity in a 60's standard I owned...
neck cavity 01.jpg

Knoby

Reaction score
I had an older 2007 custom and yes the quality was really bad. I think that is the problem people remember owning an older epi and just don't realize how far they have come since! I used to be a guitar snob back in the day. I wouldn't touch an epiphone but in my old age I don't need a 3k guitar nor can I justify owning one. Here's a pic of the pickup cavity in a 60's standard I owned... View attachment 652172
True that. Can take that further and say nobody NEEDS a guitar. It is luxury. Its a 'want' and 'can'. In reality, any guitar that plays and feels good and inspires will do. Doesnt really matter how it is made.

Btw what are we supposed to be seeing in that picture? It looks ok to me.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I just showing you the cavity of the a new epiphone... The cap how its not layered like the one above. Epiphone has come along way i think..

DrBGood

Reaction score
I think it will be OK, your guitar is fine. If nothing is moving let it be. I'm sure that if you open up every electric, you will find a lot that have some minor quirks like yours. I don't think there is any reason other than your OCD, that warrants returning that LP.

Sounds good, plays well ? Rock on.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen $299 knockoff with better craftsmanship than that. Sad. The good news is it’s probably fine and you can’t really see it when you’re assembled and playing. If I could I would send that back out of principal though.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Hello guys - thanks for your replies. Your right I don’t expect perfection but wow this one looks like it was extremely rushed through. I will take an image of the control cavity - it looks horribly rushed.

As others have stated I was very surprised to see the triple layered Koa cap. That was a let down also. It’s going to be hard to really have much pride of ownership in a guitar this poorly put together.

I’m not sure at this point if I will want to purchase another one if the bar is set this low.

F02E9AE6-34CF-4AAD-A6D4-20943CE51555.jpeg

AE2406D9-1411-483E-B7DA-DDF443DCB30F.jpeg

DrBGood

Reaction score
I will take an image of the control cavity - it looks horribly rushed.
Nothing wrong there. Just pull out that wood chip and get over it.
As others have stated I was very surprised to see the triple layered Koa cap.
Those are not layers, they're three router passes. Do you think a router bit can dig that hole in one pass ? You see that "layer illusion" on many many guitars. I'd bet you anything that if you were to sand that cavity wall, you'd see the wood grain going from "one layer" to the next.

You think the tenon is also layered ? Look at its base ...

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Nothing wrong there. Just pull out that wood chip and get over it.

Those are not layers, they're three router passes. Do you think a router bit can dig that hole in one pass ? You see that "layer illusion" on many many guitars. I'd bet you anything that if you were to sand that cavity wall, you'd see the wood grain going from "one layer" to the next.

You think the tenon is also layered ? Look at its base ...

Thank you for your reply - yes good points made.

Do you think anything needs to be done with the gap in the neck joint? Is that pretty common? Could I fill it with glue or similar? Or perhaps it’s not something that affects the integrity of the neck joint?

Thanks again,
Kevin

DD2DCB6A-1C2A-4485-8A9E-4F8D77980934.jpeg

Latest Threads