Coyote Attack

spitfire

Reaction score
Some coyotes get pretty comfortable around humans, but to attack is weird. As the link suggests, there are concerns it may be rabid.

We have a lot of them around where I live. Funny the other day my daughter was driving along and spotted a stray dog. So she stopped figuring she'd take it the shelter. Something we have done before. She gets out then realizes it was a coyote. We had a good laugh over that.

LP121

Reaction score
I'm guessing that animal is sick as they are usually pretty wary of humans.
I'm thinking you're right. Usually a single coyote wouldn't think of trying to take down an adult human unless something was wrong with it.

Daughter in law said they saw one hanging around twice today. At 6:30 and 10:30 this morning.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’ll be damn,man.....no doubt that bugger was sick. Was on the back porch almost every night last month and some nights this month with the shotgun. They get up to no good during mating season, but, I have never heard of one around here attacking anyone.

Roxy13

Reaction score
They are everywhere here but I've never worried about one attacking me.

I know in some places they have been crossing with wolves and are larger and more aggressive. If not a sick one, perhaps this is the case?

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They are everywhere here but I've never worried about one attacking me.

I know in some places they have been crossing with wolves and are larger and more aggressive. If not a sick one, perhaps this is the case?
We got some coy-dogs around that are positively a goddamn pain in the ass. Worse than the coyotes. I have heard about further out your way and further south of me they have been cross breeding. Only a matter of time till we start seeing them. I for one am glad I don’t have to have a license to shoot’em. They get after the neighbors dogs and mine,the chickens,etc.etc.

Roxy13

Reaction score
So far I've had more trouble with foxes. A few years ago an entire family of 4 were making themselves awfully comfy and seemed to have no fear of me nor my dog. They were just walking around right in front of us. And they would knock down bales of hay in my barn to use for beds.

They also ate all my neighbors turkeys and most of their chickens. The neighbors trapped and shot them.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So far I've had more trouble with foxes. A few years ago an entire family of 4 were making themselves awfully comfy and seemed to have no fear of me nor my dog. They were just walking around right in front of us. And they would knock down bales of hay in my barn to use for beds.

They also ate all my neighbors turkeys and most of their chickens. The neighbors trapped and shot them.
Yaaaa,them buggers are ornery too.....between the coyotes,foxes and ‘coons out here,the dogs are always in a fitful state:laugh2:
Had a bear come through a few years ago,shewee,that was hot time in the old town that night,lemme tell ya!!!:laugh2::laugh2:

LP121

Reaction score
I’ll be damn,man.....no doubt that bugger was sick. Was on the back porch almost every night last month and some nights this month with the shotgun. They get up to no good during mating season, but, I have never heard of one around here attacking anyone.
I hear tell it's mating season here, but no one has ever been attacked as far as I know. Till now.

As far as coy-dogs go, I don't think there's ever been one documented in this area. I've heard rumors, but so far that's all they are is rumors.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yaaaa,them buggers are ornery too.....between the coyotes,foxes and ‘coons out here,the dogs are always in a fitful state:laugh2:
Had a bear come through a few years ago,shewee,that was hot time in the old town that night,lemme tell ya!!!:laugh2::laugh2:
I am scared shitless of bears. I would probably up and die on the spot if I walked outside and saw one.

The raccoons drive me nuts, but I allow them to live here. Every year at least one has babies in a barn. Some years there is a mother with babies in each barn. They eat up all the cat food and break into the horse grain. They steal the metal ring connectors from my tractor implements that allow connection to the 3 point hitch. They steal all kinds of things that interest them. Not only metal, but horse shampoo, brushes, hoofpicks. But, I'm nice to them anyway. I roll them grapes and teach them to catch them too. They are very intelligent and I can appreciate that.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hear tell it's mating season here, but no one has ever been attacked as far as I know. Till now.

As far as coy-dogs go, I don't think there's ever been one documented in this area. I've heard rumors, but so far that's all they are is rumors.
Give it time,brother....they do serve a purpose,but,I’ll be damn if I know what it is. Just have to keep thinning them out....might not be a bad idea for yer future Daughter-in-law to maybe carry if she isn’t already.
My GF works some weird hours at the local hospital and has seen some weird stuff in the early morning. Trained her well,she got her CCW and a little peace of mind.

LP121

Reaction score
Was the employee menstruating? :dunno:

Hey, them coyotes have a keen sense of smell.
:laugh2: No idea.

Give it time,brother....they do serve a purpose,but,I’ll be damn if I know what it is. Just have to keep thinning them out....might not be a bad idea for yer future Daughter-in-law to maybe carry if she isn’t already.
My GF works some weird hours at the local hospital and has seen some weird stuff in the early morning. Trained her well,she got her CCW and a little peace of mind.
Yeah, I see them outside the shop in the early morning sometimes. They do help keep the mice under control. The daughter in law works daylight so she doesn't have to worry as much.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am scared shitless of bears. I would probably up and die on the spot if I walked outside and saw one.

The raccoons drive me nuts, but I allow them to live here. Every year at least one has babies in a barn. Some years there is a mother with babies in each barn. They eat up all the cat food and break into the horse grain. They steal the metal ring connectors from my tractor implements that allow connection to the 3 point hitch. They steal all kinds of things that interest them. Not only metal, but horse shampoo, brushes, hoofpicks. But, I'm nice to them anyway. I roll them grapes and teach them to catch them too. They are very intelligent and I can appreciate that.
We didn’t see the bugger,however,the neighbor across from me has horses and they were positively losing their poor minds. There’s 6 of us here close enough to each other,we all kinda took shifts that night till everything died down. I was freaked out because I had never seen my dog pea himself and shiver like that....that scared me more than anything for some reason.:laugh2:

I had a family of raccoons for awhile when I first moved here,however, they split fast when they got a whiff of the dogs.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I used to have coyotes in my yard with some regularity, along with all the deer, turkeys, foxes and other critters. The coyotes never had any interest in the humans. I've come face to face with them up at my camp in Maine, too (about 20' or so). They didn't want anything to do with me.

The one critter that got me worried was a racoon, climbing one of my apple trees (right outside my kitchen window) at 8:00am with the sun was up and the sky was bright. It looked like a monkey in the tree, wobbly and wierd. I made sure it didn't get near anyone. I would bet that it was rabid.

Roxy13

Reaction score
We didn’t see the bugger,however,the neighbor across from me has horses and they were positively losing their poor minds. There’s 6 of us here close enough to each other,we all kinda took shifts that night till everything died down. I was freaked out because I had never seen my dog pea himself and shiver like that....that scared me more than anything for some reason.:laugh2:

I had a family of raccoons for awhile when I first moved here,however, they split fast when they got a whiff of the dogs.
Last year my dog grabbed one of the raccoons by it's ass before it could run off the porch, lol! I don't think she wanted to hurt it, but just to get a good look at it. It sure screamed though and I smacked her to let it go. It didn't stop the coon from coming back all the time looking for cat food though, or grapes from me. I do actually get to know them and can tell them apart.

Latest Threads