COVID19-thread (Title change, Thread for serious info only).

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Selling out the Hand Sanitizer?

Wash your frickin' hands you idiots.

What in holy hell is wrong with people? <<< You may answer if you wish but it is a rhetorical question. Carry on.

Another brainwashing from corporate America.

Anti-bacterial soaps / detergents were big until it was discovered that some of those microbial agents were doing more harm than good. Those agents are no longer used.

Any soap / detergent used in hand washing when done for the recommended 20 seconds is plenty good enough to rinse away the cooties. Oh, and more thorough than a hand sanitizer too.

Last edited:

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This. The absolute brainwashing of bottled water is such bullshit. Yes, your tap water may taste different, but less healthy that bottled? Nah ...

I use an effective at the tap filter that removes the off flavors associated with municipal treatment. I assume Lt.Dave has a well. Still just as good if not better than bottled.

The beverage industry has done well with their bottled water misinformation.

Yep.

I was in the water industry for ten years. I was our towns water operator of our water system.

Licensed and registered by the State.

Most water systems are ground water. That means they come from wells so many feet down, are pumped up to a storage facility that cannot be accessed by non-authorized personnel. Most systems have anti-bacterial / disinfectant apparatus in place. They are closed systems, and are under pressure except for the top of the storage. The access hatch to the top of the tank is locked, and the security around it is inspected by the County or State, depending on who you answer to.

Corona virus or any other damn virus isn't getting in there. Period.

And if *I* had Corona virus, and decided to take a swim in the damn storage tank, it wouldn't live that long outside the body, nor would it survive the disinfectant stage (almost always chlorine) on its way to be distributed to the public.

" Dar, what if the Water Operator fell sick with Corona Virus and died, leaving nobody to operate the system? what then Dave? Huh? What then? .."

All systems are automated. The water gets low, the pumps kick on. Not only that, but most systems have a hookup for generators (military style included) to supply power to the pumps externally should the electricity go down.

It is a non-issue.

Quit with the hoarding water already.

Want your water to taste like Bills? Like mine?

Put a friggin' charcoal filter on it. Done.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Yep.

I was in the water industry for ten years. I was our towns water operator of our water system.

Licensed and registered by the State.

Most water systems are ground water. That means they come from wells so many feet down, are pumped up to a storage facility that cannot be accessed by non-authorized personnel. Most systems have anti-bacterial / disinfectant apparatus in place. They are closed systems, and are under pressure except for the top of the storage. The access hatch to the top of the tank is locked, and the security around it is inspected by the County or State, depending on who you answer to.

Corona virus or any other damn virus isn't getting in there. Period.

And if *I* had Corona virus, and decided to take a swim in the damn storage tank, it wouldn't live that long outside the body, nor would it survive the disinfectant stage (almost always chlorine) on its way to be distributed to the public.

" Dar, what if the Water Operator fell sick with Corona Virus and died, leaving nobody to operate the system? what then Dave? Huh? What then? .."

All systems are automated. The water gets low, the pumps kick on. Not only that, but most systems have a hookup for generators (military style included) to supply power to the pumps externally should the electricity go down.

It is a non-issue.

Quit with the hoarding water already.

Want your water to taste like Bills? Like mine?

Put a friggin' charcoal filter on it. Done.

I'll give a shout out to an easy to use affordable system: https://www.clear2o.com/products/p-80-clear2o-advanced-water-filtration-pitcher-cws100

Consumer Reports stated it was at least as effective as an under sink and other more complex filtration.

No other "pitcher" system comes close. It uses a dense carbon filter at pressure. The gravity fed pitchers take far too long.

Last edited:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Yeah, I understand (but do not know) that regular and intensive hand washing is better than hand sanitizer. And avoidance of crowds is the best advice I have been able to get out of this mess!

And the idea of bottled water being hoarded is just silly. I know of no water systems that are endangered by this virus.

This mess is just another reason for me to stay out of crowds — like in airports, airlines, and mega-ship cruises. But I was staying out of those anyway, so what the hell. Just another reason for me to avoid environments I didn’t like anyway.

Last edited:

LtDave32

Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll give a shout out to an easy to use affordable system: https://www.clear2o.com/products/p-80-clear2o-advanced-water-filtration-pitcher-cws100

Consumer Reported stated it was at least as effective as an under sink and other more complex filtration.

No other "pitcher" system comes close. It uses a dense carbon filter at pressure. The gravity fed pitchers take far too long.

Yes they do.

We received a fancy pitcher system for a wedding present, so we were sort of obligated to use it.

It did take a darn long time. And replacement filters are ex$pensive.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Yeah, I understand (but do not know) that regular and intensive hand washing is better than hand sanitizer. And avoidance of crowds is the best advice I have been able to get out of this mess!

Some of my extended family are nurses for many years. I asked about this subject some time ago.

Sanitizers are second in effectiveness as they do not remove hand crud and oils that build up. This is where proper hand washing is 100% effective. The soap / detergent does not need to have sanitizing properties as they can do more harm than good.

The lather along with water grabs a hold of the crud (along with cooties) on your hands and gets rinsed away with pre-sanitized water. Think what you are drying you hands with. It needs to be fresh and clean, not a dish towel or the like. A shake dry is better than nothing.

Last edited:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Yes they do.

We received a fancy pitcher system for a wedding present, so we were sort of obligated to use it.

It did take a darn long time. And replacement filters are ex$pensive.

The gravity fed like Brita are helpful, but too slow. The Clear 2O are good for 50 gallons at ~$10 a filter. How much does 50 gallons of bottled water cost?

The Clear 2O can fill a 1.75 liter pitcher in about 30 seconds.

Last edited:

LtDave32

Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

And the idea of bottled water being hoarded is just silly. I know of no water systems that are endangered by this virus.

This mess is just another reason for me to stay out of crowds — like in airports, airlines, and mega-ship cruises. But I was staying out of those anyway, so what the hell. Just another reason for me to avoid environments I didn’t like anyway.

Yep.

I live in the desert (You know that) in a compound, very much like your relative we discussed one day who lives out here.

I steer clear of crowds when I can, and I don't let "revenuers" or other assorted dippity-do's come on my property.

Locked gates. Dogs. Guns. And a wife who can be meaner than a cornered coon if I need her to be.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've got a couple of filters on the ice maker and cold water line to the kitchen sink.
Anything that doesn't go through the filter end up with red/pink staining... not sure if it's a biofilm or mineral stains.
We actually get sand collecting in our toilet tank, plays hell with the valve and I have to replace them every 4-5 years, remove and clean the aerators every 6 months... I really need to drain/flush the water heater more frequently.

Soak the shower head in white vinegar for 24 hours every couple of months.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Anything that doesn't go through the filter end up with red/pink staining... not sure if it's a biofilm or mineral stains.

Red / pink? I'd bet bio film. I see that with a room humidifier if I do not keep up with a regular vinegar or diluted bleach cleaning. I use filtered water as it does remove some of the high mineral content (white chalky stuff) in our municipal water.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Red / pink? I'd bet bio film. I see that with a room humidifier if I do not keep up with a regular vinegar or diluted bleach cleaning. I use filtered water as it does remove some of the high mineral content (white chalky stuff) in our municipal water.
It's not slick, which is why I'm not sure it's not mineral.
We'll use tap water in the CPAP humidifiers in a pinch, but we're sure to overfill and not let them run dry (or they'll collect heavy white deposits).
Normally use distilled, but even then only fill halfway for a "work night" (6-7 hours) and only top them off on weekends.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
It's not slick, which is why I'm not sure it's not mineral.
We'll use tap water in the CPAP humidifiers in a pinch, but we're sure to overfill and not let them run dry (or they'll collect heavy white deposits).
Normally use distilled, but even then only fill halfway for a "work night" (6-7 hours) and only top them off on weekends.

I still see the red / pink goop in the humidifier using distilled water. What makes me think bio slime.

This heating season has been abnormally warm - I have had no real reason to run the humidifier. Which has been nice ...

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I still see the red / pink goop in the humidifier using distilled water. What makes me think bio slime.

This heating season has been abnormally warm - I have had no real reason to run the humidifier. Which has been nice ...
Ahh... We don't get it in the humidifier chambers (they're only 16 or 18oz chambers and we dump and rinse them every morning).
These are CPAP humidifiers so they are only running when we're sleeping. Even though the humidity in the home hovers above 40%, we'll still get congestion and the occasional nosebleed without the humidifier chamber.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Ahh... We don't get it in the humidifier chambers (they're only 16 or 18oz chambers and we dump and rinse them every morning).
These are CPAP humidifiers so they are only running when we're sleeping. Even though the humidity in the home hovers above 40%, we'll still get congestion and the occasional nosebleed without the humidifier chamber.
I’m not using anything as sophisticated or crucial as CPAP devices, just a basic room sized humidifier. It gets dumped, rinsed and refilled every day. The red gunk forms anyway.

I keep a weather station remote sensor in one of my Martin guitar cases. When the case RH drops into the 30s I’ll humidify. Has not done so all season long.

Seems I can tolerate RH values in the 30s myself.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I've got SensorPush sensors in the two hollowbody cases.
Taylor has had three Humidipaks from day-1, the D'Angelico got two packs a couple of weeks ago when I moved it from the gig bag to a new hard case.
Temperature differences are because they are in different rooms... Taylor gets warmer afternoon sun, D'Angelico is on the east side.

Screenshot_20200305-220108_SensorPush.jpg

05jrock

Reaction score
We went to Winco yesterday.

All The TP you could ever want.

Nobody is hoarding TP, but they are going apeshit on water.

-which I don't get at all.

Turn on your fucking tap.

Far as a lack of TP, it ain't the end of the civilized world. See, there's these little things called a washcloth and soap...

We were taught if you don't have any arse wipe then rip the pocket off your shirt and use that.
Or otherwise nature provides

scott1970

Reaction score
It officially hit Tennessee yesterday with a confirmed case in Nashville, so it will be here soon enough.

I’m no where near as concerned about the virus as I am about people’s reaction to the virus. My biggest concern is the run on toilet paper. It’s beginning to show up here too. Why? That’s what gripes me. If I have to deal with a bunch of diseased corpses at work then fine, but I refuse to go home to no toilet paper.

HearHear

Reaction score
The only real danger I see is that if the virus becomes extremely widespread, medicines to treat the symptoms and hospital rooms will become scarce and people will die. Right now pharmaceutical companies and medical facilities are coping with it, not too many people showing severe symptoms. But if millions of people end up getting it in the same time period, and symptoms can't be treated due to shortages, then that's a problem. Small kids and the elderly will be in great danger. So let's hope this thing doesn't become a full blown nasty epidemic. I don't think we're in great danger here in the US, I'm seriously more concerned about people coming here from places like China and Italy. Some of the recent cases here have visits to Italy as a common denominator. Can we build an Atlantic wall? "The CDC has issued its most severe threat-level warning for China, South Korea, Italy, and Iran, strongly recommending that US citizens avoid traveling to those countries."

chazza

Reaction score
First UK death yesterday.
It was in the Royal Berkshire hospital in Reading, which is approximately a quarter of a mile from the office I am sitting in right now.

The deceased was elderly and in poor health, but had not been anywhere near China / Italy / Iran, which means it was a person to person transmission here in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads