COVID19-thread (Title change, Thread for serious info only).

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Whilst the facts cannot be known at this time, the nature of this event and its proximity to a high-risk biosecurity facility at the epicentre of the outbreak demands a full and independent international enquiry to ascertain whether a virus of this kind of COVID-19 was being cultured in the facility and might have been accidentally released.”
It's not unlikely at all that this was an accidental release. Whether it spread from the wet market or not?
There are facilities in every country that conducts research on diseases that stock samples of stuff far worse than this. The CDC maintains a limited stock of Smallpox, even though the disease is considered to have been eradicated, like Polio.
Whether it was intentionally created is highly unlikely though? Definitely a topic for the other thread.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
*Mod Note*

There is a lot of posting going on in here, including arguments, that do not belong in here.

This thread is for COVID-19 information. Not a debate platform.

Please post accordingly.

Zungle

Reaction score
*Mod Note*

There is a lot of posting going on in here, including arguments, that do not belong in here.

This thread is for COVID-19 information. Not a debate platform.

Please post accordingly.

Yep...I tried to post something useful earlier and it got buried quickly......

parts

Reaction score
I have mentioned family members in Italy..and couple back east,,dead,,from or due to Covid..

Got a call this morning a hot rod friend..who I met in Tucson about 15 years ago, Shooting the shit,,find out we grew up in same BLOCK in Chicago west side,, Even I had a paper route that he had years before..
He asked what the address > He laughs.. The two sisters rented that little apt..(in Gramps house where all my family lived).. He was dating one..
These were great girls..would flash my 11 year old eyes cause I was peeping..then showed even more..started me on my most devout hobby..and the addiction that saved my life..
RIP Don M...
his daughter knew some of the stories,,"It's true ???" Every word.
He was on the Scarab race team..I got to ride in Augie Pabst car..at Blackhawk Farms..another addiction..

Now another..friend here in Tucson..died in NY seeing his younger brother..
Don..miss you..shipping his 57 T-Bird to his daughter in Denver//

Howard2k

Reaction score
I have mentioned family members in Italy..and couple back east,,dead,,from or due to Covid..

Got a call this morning a hot rod friend..who I met in Tucson about 15 years ago, Shooting the shit,,find out we grew up in same BLOCK in Chicago west side,, Even I had a paper route that he had years before..
He asked what the address > He laughs.. The two sisters rented that little apt..(in Gramps house where all my family lived).. He was dating one..
These were great girls..would flash my 11 year old eyes cause I was peeping..then showed even more..started me on my most devout hobby..and the addiction that saved my life..
RIP Don M...
his daughter knew some of the stories,,"It's true ???" Every word.
He was on the Scarab race team..I got to ride in Augie Pabst car..at Blackhawk Farms..another addiction..

Now another..friend here in Tucson..died in NY seeing his younger brother..
Don..miss you..shipping his 57 T-Bird to his daughter in Denver//

Sorry to hear that man. My condolences.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm more focused and freaked out by the smaller numbers. Granted, that is driven because I live in the sticks. I don't look much at the big, major hot spots. They are what they are. The march through the countryside has my attention. I compared it to being a weather frontal system the other day. I look at counties out in the sticks that have gone from like 4 cases to 42. I see some counties with as few as 6 or 8 cases but still think how can there be 8 cases in that dot on the highway out on the middle of nowhere. Our map has gone from dots to a glob. When do the sticks peak and start going the other way?

rogue3

Reaction score
I'm more focused and freaked out by the smaller numbers. Granted, that is driven because I live in the sticks. I don't look much at the big, major hot spots. They are what they are. The march through the countryside has my attention. I compared it to being a weather frontal system the other day. I look at counties out in the sticks that have gone from like 4 cases to 42. I see some counties with as few as 6 or 8 cases but still think how can there be 8 cases in that dot on the highway out on the middle of nowhere. Our map has gone from dots to a glob. When do the sticks peak and start going the other way?
That is a good question pop. A bit like driving through a rural county up here.Sign says population 6,500,thousands of square miles... yet nobody around? just dispersed.

Up until 4 weeks ago,the coordinated health regional reporting system was giving daily updates with detalied locations and numbers of positives,and tests in progress..not exact addresses,but close enough to the point you knew where they were living.They shut that down days after i discovered it,and since then only posted compiled numbers.
Then my brother-in-law calls and says he knows the person across the street from him was supposed to self-isolate,but he observed him going out anyway.He was ready to go over and drill him.:shock:(my brother-in-law was a former hockey enforcer,lol )

Moral there.if the authorities give us too detailed information,the vigilante posse might arm and take justice into their own hands.Pitchfork and knives.
Also conforms to the right of patient privacy.So blobs are very regional.

Pop1655

Reaction score
I do wish there was a compiled list of cases by hospital. I’m hip to HIPPA, but would like to know. I’m scheduled for surgery in the very near future in the big city, not home. I’d like to know if that hospital has admitted 6 or 60.

Roxy13

Reaction score

Same here, but I'm pretty sure I know the answer for my area. Right smack dab in the middle of this county is a large college. Mostly residential, too. So college students packed into dorms and apartments like rats. And of course going to crowded bars and parties. Undoubtedly their spreading it (possibly without any symptoms) is the likely cause. They all left for spring break at the beginning of March and then came back for 2 weeks until the governor closed the schools and colleges down. A lot of them have chosen to stay here too. The ones living in apartments anyway. I did spend about an hour talking to one the day I had my truck repaired, which was 8 days before I got sick.

BTW, I believe I am now fully recovered, but darn I was sick for a looooonnnnggg time.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Thats been a concern of mine for a while Pops. My county, while in PA and somewhat adjacent to Phila, has only seen a couple cases, until last week. Now we are seeing dozens of new ones each day. My wife and drive around (never getting out of the car) and see empty streets everywhere, even during "rush hours". We're hunkered down pretty good and yet we are seeing this spike.

Now, multiply that across all the other counties and you get some significant numbers. Not NYC-like figures, but closing in on par if you do a #/million comparison.

I worry about those states where there are larger parallels to my county - only statewide. If the growth starts accelerating there, to what end will it impact those folks? The ~14 day delay from infection to presentation means that we may not know, until it's very proliferate.

Long story short... as the major metros begin rapid decline, will the sticks see a rapid increase? And, will (could) that lead to Lather. Rinse. Repeat?

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Oh, sure. I may have spread it as well because I didn't know I was sick. Once my truck was fixed I got grain for my horse and popped into a small grocery store and grabbed a few things. And then the day before my symptoms started I went to Walmart and did my big grocery shopping. At the time there were no or only a handful of reported cases in my county. I am kind of a hermit, too. I don't go out much at all and had only interacted with a handful of people that I could have gotten it from to begin with. I just was not a likely candidate to be an early case here where I live.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My area (Kingston, ON and maybe 40 mi radius) has had only two new cases in a week and a half. 55 total and 51 resolved. But...

"Although he gave credit for the community for their social distancing efforts...

..The one down side of not seeing a large peak hit the region, however, is that most people do not have immunity to the disease, which, if social distancing measures were to relax, could cause new peaks to arise. "

Last edited:

Kashmir

Reaction score
Hi all! Just wanted to say hello, and that I hope the MLP forum folks are weathering the pandemic storm okay. And I'm hoping the economy and the world gets going again soon and things get back to normal, but not too soon as well. My life hasn't changed all that much, as I'm retired and basically a homebody anyway. Many of my friends are saying they can't stand it and don't know how I do it. I just keep busy that's all. Many hobbies too. But I've a heart condition with a few other things as well, so I'm kind of strict about my social distancing manner. Again, hoping everyone is doing well, and staying alive!, as the Bee Gees once sang after selling out. :lol:

BKS

Reaction score
I do wish there was a compiled list of cases by hospital. I’m hip to HIPPA, but would like to know. I’m scheduled for surgery in the very near future in the big city, not home. I’d like to know if that hospital has admitted 6 or 60.

In my town... Easy my town has 2 hospitals... Both have their ic over filled with them.... Still people are transported to ic in other hospitals to get some air in here.
Last week numbers in my town were growing while everywere they were getting better.... Just not in my town.... I would Love to know if there are hotspots to avoid like hell.... (except my work spot.... Would Love to avoid that for a while...)

rxbandit

Reaction score
For some reason I'm banned from the other thread, it's been close to 2 weeks... Dunno why.

Anyways, there's some misinformation in there about unemployment benefits. Employers worried about people making more on unemployment and not willing to come back to work - nope, that's unemployment fraud. You can't turn down work if offered without valid reasons (making more on unemployment is not a valid reason).

Also a claim that the extra $600 a week from the CARES Act is tax free - nope, definitely taxable income.

Source: furloughed and on unemployment currently for the first time

Pop1655

Reaction score
Typically agree. In this case, I think maybe “Presidential declared disaster” might give you the right to claim shelter in place and not go in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads