COVID19-thread (Title change, Thread for serious info only).

Status
Not open for further replies.

murmel

Reaction score
I live under a flight path, no slowing of flights landing here in SD.. any ideas as to why, if this is so bad right now, they haven’t halted all air travel?
Almost no more planes over here. Normally when you look in the sky here you see several planes, now none. Our airspace is normally among the most crowded on the planet.

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Reaction score
Yep.. normal flights here, as always, about one every 5-10 minutes.. so much of this doesn’t make sense.

BKS

Reaction score
My work is right next to the airport.... So quiet. Instead of them starting and landing one after the other now there are only a few of them. Airport is empty, strange....

chazza

Reaction score
I am under the western approach flight path for Heathrow airport.
Usually one plane every 4 minutes.
This week there are about 3 per hour.

murmel

Reaction score
When this crisis started we had a stupid thing over here. Airlines were fliying empty planes, because otherwise they would have lost their landing rights at the airports. Rules said, who has rights must fly. Which makes sense in normal times, not so much these days.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
as of 15 minutes ago, my state (SC) is on lockdown.......they don't want to call it that, but that's what it is.

Now if the fools and idgits would follow that???

Olds442

Reaction score
O'Hare's activity is scaled way back. we aren't under a path but we usually see a lot, not so now.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Australian Airports & Planes are empty.

Road Traffic almost non existent.

Many State Borders are closed to all but most essential Traffic.

Police are now issuing Fines to people floating the regulations.

One good thing out of this mess is all the clean Air..............all over the Globe.

Edit - No Gold, Fishing, Football, Tennis etc. I support this because people are generally stupid & will say but there is nly two of us & we are apart.....................next minute the others come out of the Bushes.

:cheers2:

Last edited:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Live data in CONUS from flightaware.com as of 5:43ET... imagine all those flying petri dishes - fuck!

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 5.43.00 PM.jpg

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Versus the sane people of the world...

EDIT: my bad, sorry. I'll leave the pix, but it's nighttime over there (see darkness), yet on the right side of the pix, where morning is arriving, the airspace is quite full.

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 5.46.58 PM.jpg

Last edited:

TheX

Freedom is NOT a safe space
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Live data in CONUS from flightaware.com as of 5:43ET... imagine all those flying petri dishes - fuck!

View attachment 453131

Apparently, the flights are mostly empty.

Use it or lose it
Because of the "grandfather rights" system, airlines reducing their use of the slots risk losing them. Cutting capacity is threatening the airlines' hold on their slots, which is why planes might still be operated even when hardly anyone is flying in them.
In the past, when extreme events have precipitated a sudden collapse in the demand for flights, the authorities have instigated a temporary relaxation of the "use it or lose it" rule.
On March 11, the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) waived the 80%-use requirement through May 31, 2020 for US and foreign airlines with affected flights.
Edmond Rose, CEO of Airport Coordination Limited, tells CNN Travel that the EU suspended the regulation in 2002, 2003 and 2009 -- following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the United States; the outbreak of SARS; and the global financial crisis, respectively.
ACL, along with other European coordinators, are represented by the EUACA (European Airport Coordinators Association) which is seeking an amendment to the regulation until the end of June 2020 as a first step, with a provision for a possible extension should the COVID-19 crisis continue.
In the meantime ACI is pushing for a "proportionate slot allocation response to COVID-19," which it hopes will provide a solution that will preserve global airport connectivity, fearing that a global suspension of slot rules could leave countries isolated, which could in turn further damage economies.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Apparently, the flights are mostly empty.

Use it or lose it
Because of the "grandfather rights" system, airlines reducing their use of the slots risk losing them. Cutting capacity is threatening the airlines' hold on their slots, which is why planes might still be operated even when hardly anyone is flying in them.
In the past, when extreme events have precipitated a sudden collapse in the demand for flights, the authorities have instigated a temporary relaxation of the "use it or lose it" rule.
On March 11, the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) waived the 80%-use requirement through May 31, 2020 for US and foreign airlines with affected flights.
Edmond Rose, CEO of Airport Coordination Limited, tells CNN Travel that the EU suspended the regulation in 2002, 2003 and 2009 -- following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the United States; the outbreak of SARS; and the global financial crisis, respectively.
ACL, along with other European coordinators, are represented by the EUACA (European Airport Coordinators Association) which is seeking an amendment to the regulation until the end of June 2020 as a first step, with a provision for a possible extension should the COVID-19 crisis continue.
In the meantime ACI is pushing for a "proportionate slot allocation response to COVID-19," which it hopes will provide a solution that will preserve global airport connectivity, fearing that a global suspension of slot rules could leave countries isolated, which could in turn further damage economies.
All that fuel being burned for nothing seems wrong.

pnuggett

Reaction score
I heard there were less than 200,000 passengers on domestic flights today. Over 2 million this day one yer ago.

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I heard there were less than 200,000 passengers on domestic flights today. Over 2 million this day one yer ago.

That's a pretty significant drop. 90%

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Seems like a great time to fly - empty airports, uncrowded planes, plenty of parking.

Thanks Coronavirus!

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I live under a flight path, no slowing of flights landing here in SD.. any ideas as to why, if this is so bad right now, they haven’t halted all air travel?
There is always some essential air travel. What qualifies as essential I have no clue.

All that fuel being burned for nothing seems wrong.

Yes, it does. At least the planes will use somewhat less fuel with lighter loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads