COVID (Used) Price Madness

judson

Reaction score
there is a saying...

"you know the price of everything but the value of nothing"

sometimes you just say fugg it and buy the dam thing and satisfy that GAS, you can always make more money...

how many more guitars are you going to pass on until you start to bitch of woulda shoulda coulda as they are way out of your price range now from waiting....you could get hit by a bus tomorrow...that would piss me off..

release the cash....ahhhhh what a feeling !

:wave:.

mjross

Reaction score
there is a saying...

"you know the price of everything but the value of nothing"

sometimes you just say fugg it and buy the dam thing and satisfy that GAS, you can always make more money...

how many more guitars are you going to pass on until you start to bitch of woulda shoulda coulda as they are way out of your price range now from waiting....you could get hit by a bus tomorrow...that would piss me off..

release the cash....ahhhhh what a feeling !

:wave:.
I’ve been there many times, in fact I’m going through the “damn, I wish I would have bought that when I had the chance”, right now! That high price today may look very attractive tomorrow, i.e. the recent Gibson price increase. It’s all good!

surge98

Reaction score
I recently unloaded some used gear and set the prices on the high end of the range, figuring buyers would make an offer at fair market value. One well-used item sold within an hour for 90% of what it would have cost to buy new. I thought the buyer was an idiot for paying full asking price without even making an offer, until he turned around and flipped it for more than what a new one would cost. So in addition to leaving a chunk of money on the table, I clearly underestimated how much strength was still left in the used gear market.

One thing that gets overlooked is that we've become so used to instant gratification in all areas of our lives that people who have the money will justify overpaying if it means they can have something right away. Same reason people are buying used cars at above new prices and waiving inspections on a home they can't even look at before buying.

Magnets And Melodies

Reaction score
Prices were ludicrous before the pandemic, but I still participated because these guitars meant enough for me to cough it up. At current prices they don’t. My wallet is closed. I can’t see myself buying a new guitar in the near future.

Magnets And Melodies

Reaction score
You don’t want to look at cars, just trust me on this one!
I did and it is insane. I could sell my 4 year old truck for $7k more than I bought it for right now. Never have I ever been in a position where I could MAKE money from selling a vehicle.

mjross

Reaction score
I did and it is insane. I could sell my 4 year old truck for $7k more than I bought it for right now. Never have I ever been in a position where I could MAKE money from selling a vehicle.
I could not believe what my Z06 is worth now, pretty amazing! OK, this is real crazy, real estate where I live has just about doubled!

E.T.

Reaction score
There's still a cheap option: Pay $20 for a balaclava and go break a window at Guitar Denter in the middle of the night :cool2:

mjross

Reaction score
There's still a cheap option: Pay $20 for a balaclava and go break a window at Guitar Denter in the middle of the night :cool2:
Nah, I like the old fashion way, cash! Also, less jail time…

kewl kat

Reaction score
Anyone started tucking away your wallet? I know I have, other than a very few choices I had been looking for, and got very lucky finding.

Overall inflation peaked in November. If past history is any guide, a recession start is only a short few months away. We will see if that coincides with lower uses prices, which are still just nuts. People wanting more than new...sheesh. Certainly not wishing this, but I am watching.

Typically this would lead to used prices adjusting. Or am I living in a fairy tale land where people can pay their bills just by wishing. Maybe we are not in the 80% affected population.

We C... :dunno:

bluesoul

Reaction score
Prices have been driven up no doubt but there still are some deals to be had.... just requires more looking!
I bought a killer 2005 R8 from a member here recently for a reasonable non inflated price! Found another sweet deal on a 2005 R9 tonight! And yes I am partial to 2005 based on good luck I guess!
Anything in nice condition under 4k these days regardless of the year looks very good. I would not expect to see prices fall much in 2022.

bluesoul

Reaction score
Hi - Member for 5 years, first post here :)

I had to jump in on this one.... It seems that some you of you guys think that prices will begin to fall again? What are your predictions for Gibson's new guitars? It seems to me that Gibson are finding that they can be a bit ridiculous with prices and that people are willing to pay, repeatedly. Myself included if I'm being honest.

A little bird told me that Gibson USA is unable to fulfill their contracted orders and are shipping out something like 30 to 40 percent of their usual output for the remainder of 2021... but new high dollar CS/ML guitars are coming out seemingly monthly. In other words, Gibson is finding value in making less (in terms of numbers) for higher profits.

Maye it's been this way for years and I am just starting to pay attention after 30 years of buying Gibson guitars. ?
Glad to see a first post after 5 years! Will prices fall? No, they do not! They might dip a little but they hold and end up increasing.... regardless of inflation! Housing market is a different pony ride.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I have been watching used prices carefully for the last year plus, especially for Hisorics/Reissues, and the inflationary spiral has been just nuts!

The same R8/R9 example I was considering in January, is now typically 1K more! Even new prices have crept up hundreds of dollars and on some models nearly that amount. Or more!

Bottom line I have put away my wallet. I can see already in the business realms I have knowledge in and about that all that glitters is not gold. There are a few examples I am still looking at, but have now put off any purchasing for a minimum of a year and a half or two.

I believe around that point there will be a gravy train of excellent used examples to be had. I am already holding off in buying anything new.

Just my opinion.

Try finding/buying a pickup truck..!
I saw them go up thousands of dollars in about 9 months!

Andrew1225

Reaction score
The used market in Japan is starting to dip ever since stores realized nobody is buying for the ridiculous prices for used equipment.

tokairic

Reaction score
I have been watching used prices carefully for the last year plus, especially for Hisorics/Reissues, and the inflationary spiral has been just nuts!
I totally agree - this has been going on across all the US made guitars since the first big Taylor price rises a couple of years ago - 30% increase overnight. Used prices followed suit as anyone thinking of selling used could get back more than they paid new.
I have a couple of nice Gibson Les Pauls bought new some time ago which are already worth much more than I paid for them - and a Gibson ES339 bought new only a couple of years ago for under £1000. Try finding one now.
My guitars aren't for sale but I can see how folk are tempted. When buyers run dry due to the worsening state of cost of living the guitar prices must drop.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
When buyers run dry due to the worsening state of cost of living the guitar prices must drop.

Yep, patience and it will happen.

The "free money" party that millions did extremely well on last year has ended. Now that people have to get a job and pay rent they won't be as likely to pay stupid amounts for gear. And as you mentioned throwing inflation in the mix will change things.

The recently released PRS SE Silver Sky is proof of just how dumb things have become.

A poplar body imported Strat knockoff for $850 would of universally been laughed at before the Rona thingy.

A couple years back MF/GC were constantly featuring $299 deals on guitars with regular prices around $400.

Epiphones, G&L Tributes, LTD's, Schecters, etc.

Then things got stupid.

Latest Threads