COVID (Used) Price Madness

Roman4405

Reaction score
Remember when MiM Fenders were like $250? Now a regular old MiM Strat or Tele is going for $600-$700. Ridiculous.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember in the Aquanet days, one could buy Lesters and Skrats cheap.... Everybody wanted WC, GJ, DZ, etc.... Trading in all kinds of killer guitars and they weren't vintage then...

Shoulda snagged some of the trade-ins we got in the shop back then.... Amps too... Everybody wanted 'big iron'.... Champs, PR, DR, etc. were dirt cheap....

Hindsight is 20/20... Damnit.

DanD

Reaction score
Since the early '80s i was told Les Pauls are grandpa guitars and nobody wants those anymore. It's Kramer and Charvel with Floyds and Kahlers with super hot pups.....that's the future. I was constantly told i paid too much for my Gibsons and they will be sold for a dime a dozen on the used market in a few years.

I said the same thing to all of them......it's my guitar.....what do i care what they are worth in the future. Still don't. I managed to buy a few more since then. Hard times or not....they are staying with me. I'll sell the kids first. Too late now though, the kids ain't worth nothing.

:)

And I remember when they were priced that way...

mjross

Reaction score
I remember when Snickers were a nickel! Just sayin…

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
I keep my old magazine ads and catalogues, as I'm that kid who waited all his life to get a Gibson Les Paul.

A 2007 Standard cost less than what a tribute does right now.
The 2008 "New and improved" Standard was about the price of what a tribute goes for now.

Compared to then they're twice what they were back then.
What are you gonna do? It happened. There's nothing we can do. People will buy 'em. If not players, then the "weekend bedroom rocker dads" with disposable income will buy that R9 to pose like Jimmy Page or Clapton in front of the mirror.

That's fine. We still get great guitars. For me this has opened me up to more brands, especially in the "price to quality ratio".
I'm saving up for my first Heritage right now.

rogue3

Reaction score
I remember in the Aquanet days, one could buy Lesters and Skrats cheap.... Everybody wanted WC, GJ, DZ, etc.... Trading in all kinds of killer guitars and they weren't vintage then...

Shoulda snagged some of the trade-ins we got in the shop back then.... Amps too... Everybody wanted 'big iron'.... Champs, PR, DR, etc. were dirt cheap....

Hindsight is 20/20... Damnit.
I am very fortunate i snagged my Hiwatts when i did...even then,the she-devil forced me into selling a couple, and an R8, to make the break. I did not lose, and made money on the 'watts, but, in light of todays market, i sold too soon.

However, i am still well stocked, so, am happy with what i do have.Big iron Hiwatts, Fenders, and a couple Marshalls.:cool2:

Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am very fortunate i snagged my Hiwatts when i did...even then,the she-devil forced me into selling a couple, and an R8, to make the break. I did not lose, and made money on the 'watts, but, in light of todays market, i sold too soon.

However, i am still well stocked, so, am happy with what i do have.Big iron Hiwatts, Fenders, and a couple Marshalls.:cool2:

Waaay back then, a bud brought his HW 200 full stack to the shop to show us... Loudest sumbitch I have ever heard....so loud it was like the temp dropped ten degrees.... Would have loved to have had a HW... I had a Marshall but I liked the tone color of the HW (when it wasn't exploding skin cells on my face from sheer volume). Had it's own colors...

mjross

Reaction score
I keep my old magazine ads and catalogues, as I'm that kid who waited all his life to get a Gibson Les Paul.

A 2007 Standard cost less than what a tribute does right now.
The 2008 "New and improved" Standard was about the price of what a tribute goes for now.

Compared to then they're twice what they were back then.
What are you gonna do? It happened. There's nothing we can do. People will buy 'em. If not players, then the "weekend bedroom rocker dads" with disposable income will buy that R9 to pose like Jimmy Page or Clapton in front of the mirror.

That's fine. We still get great guitars. For me this has opened me up to more brands, especially in the "price to quality ratio".
I'm saving up for my first Heritage right now.
Posing in front of the mirror? Lol…

rogue3

Reaction score
Waaay back then, a bud brought his HW 200 full stack to the shop to show us... Loudest sumbitch I have ever heard....so loud it was like the temp dropped ten degrees.... Would have loved to have had a HW... I had a Marshall but I liked the tone color of the HW (when it wasn't exploding skin cells on my face from sheer volume). Had it's own colors...
typo on last post...this is what i was thinking...

yeah...i saw a couple of those back when. Beasts! Even saw a 400watt Hiwatt power amp once.PA..:shock:

My Hiwatt's sound fabulous, down low. For me, today, that is where they shine. I also attenuate, but, not always. My diming days are long gone. I do dime a one watt Hughes and Kettner however.
:rock:
cheers ehb!

Reactions: ehb

bhurst462

Reaction score
The used market is quite simply mostly about greed right now. Plain and simple. Let's take advantage of a crappy situation to make a few bucks.

mjross

Reaction score
The used market is quite simply mostly about greed right now. Plain and simple. Let's take advantage of a crappy situation to make a few bucks.
It’s that way with everything! Check out car prices, especially used cars. I was offered almost 10K over what I paid for my Vette 2 years ago! It’s just crazy!

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Remember when MiM Fenders were like $250? Now a regular old MiM Strat or Tele is going for $600-$700. Ridiculous.

I never buy new but it's gotten to the point where the used prices on all gear is just stupid. Plenty of used stuff these days meets or exceeds the price when it was new.

Last edited:

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just tried to buy a used Friedman on Reverb, offered what I thought was a very fair price, though definitely lower than asking. My offer was countered with basically the asking price, and I had a short exchange with the seller. I explained that (including tax and shipping), his offer to me was actually 94.3% of what I would pay for a brand new amp with warranty, the ability to return it, 0% financing from many stores, etc. He didn't want to budge so I left it at that.

Seriously you can get any amp for free shipping new, and tax free if you buy from an out of state dealer directly. Why prices have gone THIS insane I don't understand. I was willing to go up to 75% of the cost of new on my end, but after that come on, it's not worth it. Hopefully the madness ends soon!

Last edited:

libtech

Reaction score

Dont think so, its about I want to buy A, I have to sell B for X

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric, I've seen folks try to sell something, tell what they paid new, and they paid almost MSRP when they could have bought it at MAP from about any legit dealer on the planet..... They didn't do any research and got taken by somebody local usually.... Usually it is an impulse buy...and it cost em... They get confused when somebody tells em they are selling used for about the same as brand new.... They were happy they bought a (example) $2000 MSRP widget for $1899 OTD.... If the dumbass just looked it up before jumping, they'd see they could have bought the widget for $1299 anywhere on the damn planet... They try to sell it later for $1500...and wonder why folks laugh at em.... New is STILL $1299 anywhere and everywhere...

I've had folks come in the shop and try to sell me something for say $300..... I could buy it anywhere BRAND NEW as a customer for $199.....and buy NEW as a dealer for say $125.....and they are pissed that I won't pay em $300.... I direct em to the pawn shop up the road....knowing they 'might' get offered forty bucks....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You see some interesting folks at times, running a shop.... I detest sometimes having to explain to folks they've been taken...

mjross

Reaction score
We can whine all we want but it is what it is! Not saying I like it, hoping that things get back to normal, what ever that is now. Bottom line, you don’t have to buy it!

Latest Threads