If you can wait a few months, i would do so. Right now prices are at an all time high and I predict they will come down. They are already seemingly dropping a bit. You can always send the seller a message asking him about his/her/their policies and what they would accept. Some will be pissed about that, others will negotiate. I usually (just me) shoot to pay the middle of the Reverb "average". I usually say something like "your guitar is in the Reverb range but on the high end of that range. I would be more comfortable in the middle. You might get your price if you wait months more but I have money now!"What a timely post!
How do y'all determine fair market value?
For the Historic Reissue model I'm looking at... New on Gibson and Guitar Center is $4700 (obviously out of stock) and I'm seeing them listed used for around $4600 but still posted after many months. Reverb is telling me average selling price has been right at $4000. Nobody's accepting what I feel like are reasonable offers. No counter offers either.
At least in my case, it's pretty clear they're overpriced given the data at hand -- Reverb selling history and length of time listed. But folks aren't budging on price. Why accept offers if you're unwilling to negotiate?
Edit--If you look at the situation slightly differently, you might get your deal. You want to buy it, seller wants to sell it, and you are actually not very far off on price. Like 9% off. Start there and enjoy your NGD coming soon!