Covers aging nicely.

trapland

Reaction score
These are 2 weeks old. They started as new nickel. As this R9 was factory aged, new pickups looked wrong. Many hours of playing and a tiny bit of help got them here quickly.

jamman

Reaction score
Its under development yet. Some hints are cars, pickles and sheep.

��
An Abrasion rubbing compound , Vinegar(pickle juice) and Wool (or lamb chops :laugh2:) ???? Car polishing gone wild ???? :lol:

trapland

Reaction score
Lamb chops!

A big set of car keys, some vinegar and "never dull" which is basically kerosene and wool batting used to polish metal. Drop the keys on the covers a few times. Tarnish gently with vinegar. Polish a bit.

I think the key to string shadows isn't to tarnish under the strings so much as to reshine where the strings aren't. Little light polishing parallel to and OVER a few sets of strings right before string change works. Then play and play. I've probably played 20+ hours on these pickups.

I don't really use anything as abrasive as sandpaper or steel wool. I get better results by polishing.

trapland

Reaction score
Nice. I have a nickel 498/490 set that I've played for 20 years that make your pickup look new.

Years ago I had the most corrosive hands I ever met... Then something changed, now the best I can do is cloud nickel a little and that takes forever. Maybe I should go back to living on fast food.

sixstring531

Reaction score
I suspended some covers in a closed container of muriatic acid (HCL) and it worked very well. They were identical to many of the aged covers currently available.

Latest Threads