Counterfeit guitar seizure in New Jersey

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
Nice score!!

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers working at a bulk mail center in Jersey City have confiscated and will destroy more than 185 counterfeit guitars that would have sold for more than $1 million, authorities announced.

Shoddy package and craftsmanship, as well as the country of origin, drew CBP officers' attention to five guitars bearing the Gibson, Les Paul, Paul Reed Smith, and Martin trademarks, as well as the marking “Made in USA,” U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials said.
185 counterfeit guitars valued at $1 million seized at Jersey City bulk mail center: feds | NJ.com

splatter

Reaction score
cool, glad to see someone in Government is actually doing what they get paid to do .

however I find it hard to believe the value is correct

Laggspike

Reaction score
Give 'em to me! i can put them to some use :)

But my Tele would still be my fave i guess..

MooCheng

Reaction score
seems a waste to destroy them, confiscate them by all means but why not remove the branding permanantly by routing or cutting the headstocks an then hand them out to schools

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
seems a waste to destroy them, confiscate them by all means but why not remove the branding permanantly by routing or cutting the headstocks an then hand them out to schools
To do that would require the agreement of the legitimate manufacturers. It would also require an investment of time and money to do the work. It's cheaper, easier and faster to destroy them.

acstorfer

Reaction score
$1,000,000.00 for 185 counterfeit guitars? I'm thinking the agents might just be padding the numbers a bit.

Seriously, that's over $5,000.00 a piece.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
cool, glad to see someone in Government is actually doing what they get paid to do .

however I find it hard to believe the value is correct
If you're referring to the Gibson raid, I think that they were also doing what they were paid (and obligated) to do.

I wonder if Hank is going to complain about the government now?

I think it would be frightening to live in a world where the Government is solely and wholly responsible to the whims and desires of the corporations.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
$1 million - 185 guitars makes $ 5400 average.....:hmm:

who buys fakes for $ 5000+ :hmm:

slapshot

Reaction score
it's a waste to build the garbage in the first place
it is illegal to traffic in counterfeit goods and if seized must be destroyed.
When I worked at the post office we had a warehouse of counterfeit goods not just guitars anything you could imagine.It was rightfully destroyed if not or after being used as evidence in a criminal trial.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am pretty certain they are giving the MSRP of the legitimate guitars the fakes are copies of. Since, it was a large shipment, I would guess they were hypothesizing the 'buyer' was going to resell as legitimate, ergo the MSRP price.

This from the article seems to support this hypothesis as well.

The website indicated these guitars could be purchased from China for approximately $200 to $500; but the manufacturer’s suggested retail price for authentic guitars range anywhere from $2,000 for basic models to $54,000 for signature models.

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
IT's like every other illegal product that is seized, they always inflate the value to the highest possible numbers. They do the same with drug seizures. Say they seize 10 kilos of cocaine...they will break it down into grams or even quarter grams then double or even quadruple the quantity to account for it being cut by dealers and they calculate the value by the highest possible street cost for a quarter gram. So when the news announces a $50 Million drug seizure, it's probably less than $5 Million in reality - maybe even 500K dealer wholesale value.

Caretaker

Reaction score
That`s a little north of where I live. These are ALL over Craigslist, flea markets, ebay, small guitar stores(bought as real by under educated employees), even a few GC/Sam Ash were fooled.
Now it will calm down for a few months but they will be around again in the fall. These people target Parents shopping for kids for Christmas.
It happens every year although now they are cracking down. Someone`s kid must have bought one. LOL

Ozzy Mandeus

Reaction score
what signature guitar costs $54,000?

Good news that they are actually starting to sieze and destroy though.

Latest Threads