could use a little advice

Kody

Reaction score
so I got my faber bridge and tailpiece in today, I decided to get un notched saddles because I wanted to get a bone nut installed and was going to have theguitar shop here do both at once however, he is backed up for quite a while so I figured what the hey, gave it a shot myself. So I placed my strings where I liked them and then used the hammer method for the notches, now that im done it sounds well enough through my amp but unplugged its extremely quiet and my B string and my G string seems pretty dead on fretted notes and bends( sounds pretty good open but still doesn't ring like it should) almost like its fretting out but it isn't because I raised my action way high to eliminate that possibility. I compared this to my Epiphone les paul and it is waaaay louder sounding unplugged and sustains better. so Im guessing I didn't do the greatest job with my saddles but from what ive been reading they only need a slight notch so I don't know. anyways I really would appreciate some of you guys' guitar wizardry to steer me in the right direction!

DarrellV

Crazy American......
Premium Member
Reaction score
so I got my faber bridge and tailpiece in today, I decided to get un notched saddles because I wanted to get a bone nut installed and was going to have theguitar shop here do both at once however, he is backed up for quite a while so I figured what the hey, gave it a shot myself. So I placed my strings where I liked them and then used the hammer method for the notches, now that im done it sounds well enough through my amp but unplugged its extremely quiet and my B string and my G string seems pretty dead on fretted notes and bends( sounds pretty good open but still doesn't ring like it should) almost like its fretting out but it isn't because I raised my action way high to eliminate that possibility. I compared this to my Epiphone les paul and it is waaaay louder sounding unplugged and sustains better. so Im guessing I didn't do the greatest job with my saddles but from what ive been reading they only need a slight notch so I don't know. anyways I really would appreciate some of you guys' guitar wizardry to steer me in the right direction!
Dumb question, I know........

Did you change the strings after you hammered them for notching?

If you didn't that could be the whole problem. Hammering ruins the windings and geometry of the strings.

Kody

Reaction score
I should have added that yes I installed fresh strings after I used my old strings to do the notching, I have adjusted quite a bit of the problem out and now she is ringing pretty good, its just not that drastic change that others have reported with the faber kits. I may just need to let a pro do the set up and see if it makes a difference

jcohen339

Reaction score
You might want to try some lube on the nut and saddles. It can't hurt.

DarrellV

Crazy American......
Premium Member
Reaction score
its just not that drastic change that others have reported with the faber kits.
Yeah, that's pretty subjective too....

There's so much at play here between different guitars, different woods, strings, metallurgy of the bridge parts, mounting bushings and posts..

Have you changed the tailpiece too? Sometimes even that will produce a noticeable change.

Here's something to consider too... there may be nothing off with your swap out.

What you are perceiving as loss in volume or 'ring' could just be that the material of the Faber parts has altered the amount of overtones (harmonics) you used to hear with the old bridge.

I put a solid brass bridge and saddle kit on mine a while back and the change in tonality was dramatic. It became more solid and focused and yes, louder.

But it also eliminated most all of the high pitched buzzy overtones that had annoyed me with the stock Nashville bridge. That's what I wanted.

These higher overtones are more likely to be reflected off the smooth hard top of the guitar and pickups, therefore they will be heard more easily than the deeper tones that can vibrate through the posts and into the wood. Especially unplugged.

They are all still there, all that has changed is the amount of overtones, and a reinforcement of the deeper fundamentals.

Kody

Reaction score
I used their master kit that comes with tailpiece bolts and new bushings to replace the zinc ones that were stock. After I took took more time messing with the set up it sounds way louder now. I just had to raise my action higher than I had before but it was worth it because it rings pretty nicely now. I just hope it’s tamed some of harsh high end I had. I haven’t gotten a chance to plug it in and crank it yet but I think there will be a positive difference.

DarrellV

Crazy American......
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just hope it’s tamed some of harsh high end I had.
+1:thumb:

That's what led me to change out all my Nashvilles.. Drives me crazy..... er! :laugh2:

Hope it works for ya!

Latest Threads