Could this put an end to the debate?

Lightning Guitars

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Firstly, if you didn’t see my little introduction in the Vendor Classifieds, my name is Chris and I have just started Lightning Guitars

I’m a long time member and what I am about to show you was born while reading many discussions on this very website, quite some time ago.

So, I pose the age old and tired question of do you top wrap?

Well, if your answer is ‘Yes’ I have an alternative that gives the same benefits without the drawbacks.

If your answer is ‘No’ and you’re curious but don’t like the thought of the look or damage to your stop bar then I have something you might like to try.

I have developed a new kind of stop bar that fits most Les Paul type guitars.

It’s made from lightweight aluminium.

It can be wound right down to the body.

11’s will feel like 10’s and so on.

The strings pass through the bar at an angle that reduces tension and prevents excessive pressure on the bridge leading to a lot fewer string breakages.

There is no wrapping of the strings and at first glance looks like a standard tailpiece.

There’s more information at my website, hit the link at the top, fire away any questions!

Thanks for looking!

Chris - Lightning Guitars ⚡

2062DDC5-D088-446D-9266-36C8CD9C516B.jpeg
B1FEA5F1-A5C3-42D0-B19D-0FD1C252F3EA.jpeg

gitmohair

Reaction score
Nice idea, but I'm not sure it fixes anything beyond the "might scratch the stop bar with the top wrapping" bit and still has the other top wrapping issues. Will be interesting to see some reviews of it, mind you.

Bit of a niche product for me (and not my niche) but good luck with it :)

smk506

Reaction score
I think that’s a solid enough idea. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the standard tailpiece per se, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement on a 60-70 year old design either.

I’d think about picking one up if the price was right.

v-man

Reaction score
one ”problem” might be that in the infancy of development, the prudent finish is a nickel/chrome type, being the most typical/popular choice… However, the users most affected by the scratches might be gold and black (I top-wrapped my black tonepros with reckless abandon). I wager the black/gold users combined may be only half the nickel/chrome users, but it may be the case that 80% of black hw users are interested, 50% gold, and only 10% chrome/nickel.

Food for thought but I assure you, there are 2 innovations/gimmicks that are on my no-go list instead of bolted to my guitar by virtue of their refusal to make anything but chrome in the early stages of production. Interesting idea. Good luck!

Lightning Guitars

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Nice idea, but I'm not sure it fixes anything beyond the "might scratch the stop bar with the top wrapping" bit and still has the other top wrapping issues. Will be interesting to see some reviews of it, mind you.

Bit of a niche product for me (and not my niche) but good luck with it :)
Thanks for your comments!
I’m interested to know what you mean by not fixing the other too wrapping issues?

Lightning Guitars

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I think that’s a solid enough idea. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the standard tailpiece per se, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement on a 60-70 year old design either.

I’d think about picking one up if the price was right.

Lightning Guitars

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
one ”problem” might be that in the infancy of development, the prudent finish is a nickel/chrome type, being the most typical/popular choice… However, the users most affected by the scratches might be gold and black (I top-wrapped my black tonepros with reckless abandon). I wager the black/gold users combined may be only half the nickel/chrome users, but it may be the case that 80% of black hw users are interested, 50% gold, and only 10% chrome/nickel.

Food for thought but I assure you, there are 2 innovations/gimmicks that are on my no-go list instead of bolted to my guitar by virtue of their refusal to make anything but chrome in the early stages of production. Interesting idea. Good luck!
Thanks for your comments, I do agree with what you say there and will be adding gold ones very soon as I have had enough enquiries.

Next step will be black, and I’m open to other ideas too!

BDW60

Reaction score
One other advantage to your tailpiece is that you can keep the strings off the back of bridge without top wrapping or jacking the tailpiece to silly heights. Depending on string gauge and just how certain guitars intonate, this is sometimes a problem. That is, if you’re one who thinks string contact on the back of the bridge is a problem. Some people do, some don’t think it matters. I have to admit it does bother me.

Lightning Guitars

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
One other advantage to your tailpiece is that you can keep the strings off the back of bridge without top wrapping or jacking the tailpiece to silly heights. Depending on string gauge and just how certain guitars intonate, this is sometimes a problem. That is, if you’re one who thinks string contact on the back of the bridge is a problem. Some people do, some don’t think it matters. I have to admit it does bother me.
Yes that was definitely one of the factors in mind while developing this.

gitmohair

Reaction score
My earlier comments notwithstanding, I'm tempted to give one of these a go :) Price seems fair. Website, on the other hand, doesn't exactly inspire confidence. No contact details/location?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool idea, does away with the clumsy look of strings going over the stoptail.

I just ordered one, I'm not a top wrapper but intrigued enough to try this.

I wonder if Gibson tried anything like this when developing the single cut? probably not I imagine.

Last edited:

gitmohair

Reaction score
I just ordered one, I'm not a top wrapper but intrigued enough to try this.

I would, but am really not happy at all about the site (and I guess the erratic responses to this thread from the vendor haven't made me any more confident). Please let us know (a) if you do actually receive the thing and (b) what it's like. Did the site quote a delivery time? There's Creamtone potential here and I can't be arsed with it.

There's a guy down the road who makes custom motorcycle parts, I'm thinking about asking him if he could knock up a variation on this thing (I guess it'd be machined rather than cast, but that might be a good thing, perhaps, given what I'm planning on sticking it on and it should look well'ard, as they say over here).

Last edited:

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would, but am really not happy at all about the site (and I guess the erratic responses to this thread from the vendor haven't made me any more confident). Please let us know (a) if you do actually receive the thing and (b) what it's like. Did the site quote a delivery time? There's Creamtone potential here and I can't be arsed with it.

There's a guy down the road who makes custom motorcycle parts, I'm thinking about asking him if he could knock up a variation on this thing (I guess it'd be machined rather than cast, but that might be a good thing, perhaps, given what I'm planning on sticking it on and it should look well'ard, as they say over here).

His site has a cart and many ways to pay. Mojoaxe, for instance, has no such things; you email the owner with your order and Paypal address. He has a good reputation, so it's all good.
Lonny actively avoids MLP, Facebook or anywhere he has to answer to customers. I don't see that with Lightning Guitars. It's a new business and deserves at least a chance, eh? You don't have to be the guinea pig if you don't want to ;)

gitmohair

Reaction score
You don't have to be the guinea pig if you don't want to ;)

True enough. I wish the business all the best, all I'd tried to do is point out a few issues that I'm not the only one here thinks they'd like to see addressed if they're to feel comfortable doing business with LG. I'll follow your suggestion and let someone else be the guinea pig.

jbash

Reaction score
One of the things I love about a trapeze tp is that you can do all kinds of crazy bends BEHIND the bridge. Way easier than bending behind the nut/near the tuners (and no chance of poking a finger with the cut end of a string-ouch!).

Seems like this new tailpiece might make string bending behind the bridge a bit more feasible than a typical TOM/TP setup (which is nil)

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Looking at it, it's a solution to a problem that only a few consider a problem. It's interesting, but not for me. if I need to change the angle of the strings, I lift up the tailpiece. Besides, I don't think tone wrapping does a damn thing.
Website, let's be frank here, doesn't inspire a lot of trust.

Latest Threads