Could this '65 Melody Maker D be a Refinish?

themollusk79

Reaction score
I was looking at this '65 Melody Maker D. It has mostly replaced electronics and hardware, but all the original stuff is included. My question is could this be a Refinish? The natural headstock and logo look odd to me. Seller claims all original. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

a92q15bej0ky2zu7ohve.jpg
etw7cchumgmvzxczl6qu.jpg
wlddmznvk34aumdasewa.jpg

truckermde

Reaction score
If you get no answer here, try posting in vintage section...

Cool guitar either way...

mdubya

Reaction score
Cool guitar.

What makes you think it could not be refinished?

I would leave it as is and put white button tuners and a vintage wrap around bridge and reflector knobs on it and play it to death. But that is just me. :thumb:

themollusk79

Reaction score
The cherry finish on the headstock makes me think something is up. I've never seen one like that, so wondering if others have.

mdubya

Reaction score
The cherry finish on the headstock makes me think something is up.
Like what? It is a heavily modified, refinished guitar. The Holly veneer is removed from the headstock.

It looks like a nice, unbroken, but highly unoriginal guitar.

FWIW - I would only pay about half of what they are asking. JMHO.

themollusk79

Reaction score
The original tuners, pickups, knobs, and bridge are included. I was only asking if it had been refinished as per the headstock. I also agree its too expensive - but if you look on Reverb, '65 MM D's are in the ~$1400 range ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

judson

Reaction score
yeah been looking at MMs and their prices seem to be creeping up there ........where the hell is the Covid discount? :slap:

not a fan of the tick body...dont know what years they were

juniors as well are creeping....maybe thats a good sign really?

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
Yep. All of the lower level Gibsons are creeping up.

I'd pay $1500 for a straight, all original MM.

I shop ES 125s all the time. They are asking ridiculous $$$$ for TDCs.

The good news is, I don't think anyone is actually paying those prices.

@themollusk79 I believe that is simply a stripped and refinished guitar. No funny business imho. It should be a ripper with the dual P-90's. And it sounds like it has a nice chunky '64/'65 neck.

Last edited:

themollusk79

Reaction score
yeah been looking at MMs and their prices seem to be creeping up there ........where the hell is the Covid discount?
Yeah I think it's moved the other way. When the pandemic started, I was sweating a bit because I had just picked up some historics with the idea I'd launch some other stuff. I was so worried the market would bottom out. But it seems the opposite happened - people are still buying guitars and prices are up. I have had zero trouble moving anything!

themollusk79

Reaction score
Can't read the SN too well, and the one they provided dates it to 1961. If that is true, it started it's life as a sunburst and was refinished in cherry. Interesting.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Like what? It is a heavily modified, refinished guitar. The Holly veneer is removed from the headstock.

It looks like a nice, unbroken, but highly unoriginal guitar.

FWIW - I would only pay about half of what they are asking. JMHO.
I don't think they had holly veneers on the headstocks, as I recall it was just black paint as the MM was a student guitar, so it was probably stripped off and refinished along with the rest of the guitar.
Also, that is not a '61 if that is how it was represented, that double cut body style is mid-sixties IMO.
Al

SFK

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Definitele a refin. It's very cool though.

Latest Threads