Correct string ferrules for 59 flying V

death trap

Reaction score
Ive looked and looked and cant find the dimensions of the early flying Vs. Id like to make a set out or nickel or stainless. They seem to be sunk into the body abit, im guessing no lip on the ferrules, and look to be about 5/16-ish from pics. Anyone know or have even a reissue they could measure? I know attached pic isnt the best, its Albert Kings flying V

Attachments

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best I can do is to point you to where you can get accurate parts. You can copy them in SS.

death trap

Reaction score
Best I can do is to point you to where you can get accurate parts. You can copy them in SS.

I do appreciate the help, just trying to not buy parts im not going to use ya know. I guess im just hoping someone that has a V or reissue sees this and can measure the ferrule diameter so i have something to work with.

bradland

Reaction score
If you're making your own why does it matter? You can make them whatever size you choose. At the end of the day does it matter if they are .5mm larger in diameter than what Gibson used...? Assuming you're building the body as well you'll have total control of the hole size.

death trap

Reaction score
If you're making your own why does it matter? You can make them whatever size you choose. At the end of the day does it matter if they are .5mm larger in diameter than what Gibson used...? Assuming you're building the body as well you'll have total control of the hole size.

I just like the idea of them being as accurate as possible. If i cant get the info, ill just take my best stab at it and see how it goes

ARandall

Reaction score
The most accurate is not to make any ferrules at all.
There is/was a long V thread here, and from what I remember of the issue they merely had drillings in the wood.

kakerlak

Reaction score
You could get the brass ones plated or you could get some of the vintage style, flush/recessed mount Tele ferrules. I think those would look right enough -- anything that doesn't have a collar on it that sits proud of the wood face.

Airplane

Reaction score
i have the crazy parts ferrules for a build that was paused way too long now. i can give you the measurements tomorrow.

Latest Threads