Cork-sniffing stories

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to sniff the cap when I'd open a bottle of Boone's Farm.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't buy that cheap stuff with corks...

Only quality wines with the twist off tops for me....

Yep, that's me....living the dream...out on the ledge....

dave b

Reaction score
I'm so picky, I refuse to bottle my homemade wines in screwcap bottles. It's cork bottles or nuthin'. Well, okay, I use synthetic corks nowadays...but it's the thought that counts, right?

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
I'm on the Chateau Montelena mailing list for cases only :)

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
I don't buy that cheap stuff with corks...

Only quality wines with the twist off tops for me....

Yep, that's me....living the dream...out on the ledge....

Quite a few high-end wineries are using screw caps nowadays. From a practical point of view they're superior to corks, because the failure rate is near zero. (Also, cork oaks are getting scarce).

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
I dated a chick whose daddy let us drive his Lotus Elan

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite a few high-end wineries are using screw caps nowadays. From a practical point of view they're superior to corks, because the failure rate is near zero. (Also, cork oaks are getting scarce).

:thumb:

hecube

Reaction score

The question I have is in regards to wine aging with screw caps.

How well does the membrane in the cap allows oxygen to seep in? Does the membrane decay over decades?

Frankg11

Reaction score
This could be the result of too much cork Sniffing.

Three scientists were one day discussing what would happen if they rammed a cork up an elephant's backside and force fed it for 2 weeks. But because the experiment had never been documented and the idea was hard to comprehend they decided to have a go. A week after the experiment had started they began to realize WHY the idea had never been tried, they were stuck for someone to pull the cork out.
One of the scientists came up with the bright idea of training a monkey to do the job, so they spent the next week training it to pull out corks once a buzzer had rung, then push it back in for another go.

The big day arrived, they set up all the monitoring equipment and set out to a safe distance.

The first scientist went 1 mile away, the second went 2 miles away and the third went 3 miles. When they were all ready the first scientist pushed the button to sound the buzzer.

BBBAAANNNGGG!

The third scientist (3 miles away) was up to his ankles in stuff, the second (2 miles away) was up to his knees and the first (1 mile away) was up to his waist. When the others joined the scientist who was 1 mile away they noticed that he was in fits of laughter.

"What the heck is so funny?" asked one of the scientist.
"You should have seen the monkey's face trying to get the cork back in!!!"

Bada bing!

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decades.... I like vintages measured in days....

Yep... out on the ledge....

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
This one time a friend of mine poured bud light into my friends coffee for no good reason. The result was strangely not bad...

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i bought an SG new.... (ive since sold it, along with all my other Gibson guitars) ... anyways, when i first took it out of the case, i sniffed it.

lp7480

Reaction score
I was trying to look up stats for wine drinkers as I usually associate wine with women, on dating sites it seems every second woman's profile has wine listed as a like (it probably mixes good with the antidepressants):laugh2:.

Stats show millenials are big wine drinkers. It's difficult sifting thru the stats making sense...but I can't believe I went this far anyway with something so boring.:laugh2:

"Beer has been traditionally the drink of choice for Americans, but despite the rise of niche craft beers, the beverage’s overall popularity has declined. In 1992, beer had a 20% advantage over wine as the preferred national drink. Now just one percent of Americans claim to prefer it over wine.

Gender plays a key role in what people imbibe. Fifty-three percent of men say beer is their drink of choice. In comparison, 52% of women favor wine."

As a millennial, I've noticed that many of my female peers have a strange obsession with wine. It's kind of the new cool thing I guess.

I don't hate on anyone's gear.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I was trying to look up stats for wine drinkers as I usually associate wine with women, on dating sites it seems every second woman's profile has wine listed as a like (it probably mixes good with the antidepressants):laugh2:

Holy sh*t, thankgoodness I didn't have a mouthful of wine when I read this or half would have gone out my nose and the other half would have splattered my laptop.

The number one method for telling whether a wine is good or bad? If you like it it's good and if you don't it's not.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
or if it is on sale....

Latest Threads