Corbin Les Paul Build/Mod

Cj_Havoc

Reaction score
I have recently been redoing a Corbin Les Paul..The guitar is a decent one, it's definitely not high quality or anything.. After removing the finish I found some crazy thing's going on..It has a 3 piece maple top, maple neck (which is pinkish in color) and a rubberwood back,it has a long neck tennon and q very thin asian style neck.. Removing the finish, this was a difficult process as absolutely no paint remover would budge it..I had to resort to sanding with 60 and 80 grit to get the extremely thick epoxy coating off,the top went off without a hitch,but the back was a different story as the coating soaked into the wood so deeply that I had to remove a few millimeters worth of wood to get under the epoxy so it would take a stain..I removed so much that the control cavities lips are virtually gone(kinda stuck as what to do at this point as I don't have a router) The guitar is super light (around 3-4 pounds) and is super resonate.The only reason I attempted this was that the guitar developed a serious crack from the bridge to the tailpiece so I sanded it down to see how far it went, I figured I went that far I might as well just go and turn it into a Page #3 red Les paul.Well long story short it's been a nightmare,the binding is a super soft material that chips as you sand (even with higher grit paper)I intend to do a gibson style headstock (with no name,just black) It seems to be big enough to do so..In short this build has been the worst mistake I've ever made, here's some pictures to show the progress, I'm definitely open to help and suggestions...

Attachments

Roxy13

Reaction score
Do you have a Dremel? The cylinder shaped grinding stone with the flat bottom could probably redo you lip on the cavity. I would try to make a template jig that would have the dremel sitting at the right height going around it. You could make that from MDF and drill some holes for the center and then cut it with a jigsaw. It won't be easy and you will need to be careful, but that is a possible solution to that issue.

Cj_Havoc

Reaction score
Do you have a Dremel? The cylinder shaped grinding stone with the flat bottom could probably redo you lip on the cavity. I would try to make a template jig that would have the dremel sitting at the right height going around it. You could make that from MDF and drill some holes for the center and then cut it with a jigsaw. It won't be easy and you will need to be careful, but that is a possible solution to that issue.
No I don't,but I can buy one cheap, I've called everyone in Ohio about this and all I've gotten was I don't wanna do it or we can't do it, it's been crazy... I've even looked for flush mount plates and can't find anything...

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roxy is awesome.

If you have more questions, want to do research, or find someone to do the routing for you we have a section dedicated to making guitars. To them your task is like making coffee.

Cj_Havoc

Reaction score
Roxy is awesome.

If you have more questions, want to do research, or find someone to do the routing for you we have a section dedicated to making guitars. To them your task is like making coffee.

Thank you so much Sideburns, this project has been a nightmare.. I'll pop over and make a post there.. Thanks again..

Cj_Havoc

Reaction score
Build/ Mod update
All the bindings have been removed and everything is being sanded flush,the side dot markers on the fb are silver solder.. Still trying to figure out the control plate lips and also finding an accurate headstock template for a 2004 Jimmy Page #1 Also all work was done with nothing more than sandpaper and cheap hand tools,I started this thinking it would be a fun way to personalize a guitar to my spec's on a chip chop ham budget ,Im not a skilled craftsman or anything like that at all,I have absolutely zero guitar building skills, I just knew what I wanted (I basically could see it in my mind).. Anyways here's pictures

Attachments

Roxy13

Reaction score
Let's see a pic of the control cavity and maybe we can brainstorm that :)

Maybe making a new one of thinner material is the better solution. Wood can be thinned down to the right size I bet.

Roxy13

Reaction score
It's pretty close to level then it looks like?

I think you would have to make a template (MDF is cheap) and rout it out. A cheap palm router/laminate trimmer from Harbor Freight could get it done. The router bit might cost almost as much as the router, but a Yonico cheaper bit would do. Take small passes. Don't try to get it all done at once. You want a top bearing bit that can ride on your template.

Latest Threads