Coping with loss (Lost Gear Content)

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been doing this for 7 years now. A lot of mistakes along the way, but all part of the educational process. Overall, the journey has been a success.

#1 regret: my 01 standard.
Didn’t realize what I had. Always played my 335 more. Didn’t think I was justified in owning it.

#2 My first fender jap Strat. Not a big money piece, but a great Strat and the one I shoulda kept.

The mistakes list is much longer, but enjoyed em all and learned something every time.

Flip side: my Tokai es162 was a major home run and DSG003 was a really good decision.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuff is just stuff.....but I wish I still had the white Marshall...

Things that bug me more are the items I 'could' have snagged.... Have enough really good stuff to pass on to me son so one day to play and preserve to pass on hopefully to his kids...... I'm good.

I know that at least for one more generation, my stuff will all be taken care of and played.... I like to think a hunnert years from now, some descendant of mine will be playing something of mine and remember what I've told my son and told him to one day pass it on, 'Deviate from my instructions and I will come back and haunt your ass until the end of time.....'

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
'78 Strat in Antigua
'79 Anniversary Strat
~80 (give or take) Kramer DMZ-2000
'95 Ibanez JS100

The Ibanez was just dumb and shortsighted... not really a "loss" but rather "one that got away"
I bought it for the daughter to learn to play when she was 15.
She never did, it stayed in the closet.
A couple of years after she moved out, she asked for it... said she was going to join a band.
I should have asked her how much she was selling it for and just offered her $200 more.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I have never sold a guitar, amp, or any other gear unless it was something that was overly hard for me to play or otherwise use. And I need to thin the herd some as space is limited. But when I think about selling something I take it out and use it — and think it plays and sounds too good to sell.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
I opened this warily= GREAT another spouse with cancer,drug addict sister KO'ed.....what do you say? Worst are BEST FRIEND DIED today picture of beloved pet....I was very happy that it was not a blood letting thread...OH THE PAIN...

Let me see? I miss my Koch Twintone ,that amp was mean. I also had a prototype Boogie super 60 head,so loud it gave you tooth pain.

I had a 77 Goldie Dx with 90's,very much squeal.....

Why did I open it? Not sure?

Deftone

Reaction score
I opened this warily= GREAT another spouse with cancer,drug addict sister KO'ed.....what do you say? Worst are BEST FRIEND DIED today picture of beloved pet....I was very happy that it was not a blood letting thread...OH THE PAIN...

Let me see? I miss my Koch Twintone ,that amp was mean. I also had a prototype Boogie super 60 head,so loud it gave you tooth pain.

I had a 77 Goldie Dx with 90's,very much squeal.....

Why did I open it? Not sure?
Hey, Mal thought it was funny.

parts

Reaction score
This, My first E-Type

And my last

Not possible to drive much here in the desert..modified engine was even hotter in cabin than stock..and impossible except short drives in winter..
BUT,,STILL,,

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How do you manage? How do you keep from blaming yourself when you are the only one to blame?

My '88 cherryburst Les Paul Custom Lite, my black '87 Les Paul Custom Lite, my black '89 Studio Lite with Floyd Rose trem, my blackface Fender Champ, my 2000 Les Paul Standard Raw Power and the worst of all.....my '79 Marshall JMP 2203. The horror.

What was I thinking? "Oh, I only need one...ok three five guitars." or "that amp is too loud." Idiot.

This thread is for healing. Come forward and share your losses with the group.
I suffer a loss with every guitar that ships from my shop. Dozens and dozens so far. Every single time, a little piece of me goes with it.

Even my wife tears up a bit when they leave the nest.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suffer a loss with every guitar that ships from my shop. Dozens and dozens so far. Every single time, a little piece of me goes with it.

Even my wife tears up a bit when they leave the nest.
And that's a major part of the reason we get you to build them for us.

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2001 Cherryburst LP Standard.. it brought the THUNDAH!! Had sustain like a grand piano..

Heavy as f*ck, but also HEAVY AS F*CK!

Thank you divorce..

I also regret selling my blue tele.. it was just gorgeous, and such a great sounding guitar, a real player.. tried to get it back, but the guy just bullshitted me, saying at first he’d sell it back to me, and then, that he used it as a toss around studio guitar, and that I wouldn’t like it now anyways because it was all beat up and turned green, which I thought woulda been kinda cool, to him eventually telling me that he just gave it away to let some girl country band take on tour and never got it back.. asshole.

I’ve got a good stash now, but it’s my rule now to never sell gear anymore..

rogue3

Reaction score
I had to go look up this quote from Rich Robinson, this was after he lost all his gear in hurricane Sandy. Kind of puts things in perspective.

"All of my gear was destroyed in Hurricane Sandy in 2012. I lost 70 guitars, all of my amps, my sitar. I got divorced and I lost guitars in the divorce. But you go through life and you have to deal with life.

"Those were great, but they're wood with pieces of string on them. Sometimes I feel like my relationship with the instrument ran its course and now it's time to move on.

"It gave me an attitude where I can be like, 'You know what? There are a million great Teles and 335s and Les Pauls out there.' So, I'm alright!"
Thanks for sharing that fry.Perspective.Fortunate for Rich,he still has the means to recover, i would think.Not everyone is in that boat.

to the op: i think there is a little jest in your post? Anyway, you got paid.
now,Turn The Page,let the gas begin anew.Healing... :jam:

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
to the op: i think there is a little jest in your post? Anyway, you got paid.
Yea, absolutely. "Coping with loss" "This thread is for healing" WTF? It's gear for fucks sake.

Oh well, the thread went ok, but the joke bombed hard. I better test my material on smaller forums 1st.

Oh yea, one more: my RAT pedal...bought it brand new in '87. Sold it for double what I paid but holy shit they are like $300 now?

Bro KV

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a custom shop Jackson King V built in 1999, great guitar. After a year or so of owning it, work layoff forced me to sell it. About 3 years later I seen it online, on a forum, messaged the owner and made a trade for it. Had it about another year or so, guess what? Laid off from another job, so I sold it again. Yes I do miss it but I think it’s bad luck. Only two times I’ve ever been laid off and I happened to have that guitar in my possession.

Dilver

Reaction score
As long as I look at it like “one thing leads to another“, I’m okay with all the guitars I’ve sold and I’m fortunate enough to be ale to keep the ones I really love.

I traded a 70s BC Rich Eagle Supreme in Koa for a very mediocre Norlin 335. That was kinda dumb. But the sale of the 335 led to my Gretsch 6120 SSLVO, which led to me getting into Gretsch guitars in a big way and the purchase of a Black Phoenix (amazing guitar, but way too big for my 5’9 frame), which led to my 2017 R8. So all’s we’ll that ends well.

Latest Threads