Cooked my 57 Custom Champ Amp!

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all have to learn somewhere.
....or not!

Boggles my mind reading these. I don't grasp how you guys learn this stuff. Much respect!

For me on these, I'll just have to maintain my check writing skills.

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
I always thought that when Southerners say “Bless Your Heart”, it’s a veiled insult. Like “isn’t that cute, but you’re an idiot”.
My grandmother was born & lived in NY state, her family moved there after arriving in the New World in the early 1600's... my ancestors were Pilgrims and Puritans, so, maybe not so much a 'southern' expression. She used that expression more than a few times to her grandchildren, all of whom she loved dearly (and probably said the same to her own children as well when they were growing up), so there's no question that it was not in any way an insult. More like what something you when you find that your 3 year old child has been finger-painting with his own feces on they're bedroom wall... (- my brother actually did that, I'm not making that shit up). Maybe things are different in the south, but having lived there for a few years later in life, I can say that I never heard that phrase used when I lived there.

Last edited:

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Surprised no one has suggested checking the fuses with a mutimeter to insure they aren't blown/ Put it on the ohm meter setting, probe to each side. Low reading, fuse is fine, high resistance or doesn't change from the neutral 100% resistance state (depends on meter) , fuse is blown. I've had fuses go, that looked visibly fine.

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
Damn spell checker!!! That should have read "Only a manly man would choose something else"

Dilver

Reaction score
UPDATE: got my Champ back from the amp tech. Fried screen resistor due to faulty JJ 6V6. I usually run NOS RCAs in just about everything and only put the JJ in the Champ to see how it would sound. The amp tech said he’s not a fan of JJ tubes and has seen a lot of people come in with problems due to their tubes. No more JJ for me.

I’m glad my little Champ is home. I keep this in my guitar room/office since all my bigger amps are in the basement with the drums and recording gear. I prop it up on a wood stool so it’s right at ear level when I’m sitting in my chair. Great tones just running a Les Paul Junior straight into the amp. One pickup guitar, cable, amp. So simple.
DD4EE31D-152D-491B-AC32-DCF2933B4018.jpeg
3E6C373E-CACA-4BCC-BC0F-50DAEABF998E.jpeg

jaydublin

Reaction score
UPDATE: got my Champ back from the amp tech. Fried screen resistor due to faulty JJ 6V6. I usually run NOS RCAs in just about everything and only put the JJ in the Champ to see how it would sound. The amp tech said he’s not a fan of JJ tubes and has seen a lot of people come in with problems due to their tubes. No more JJ for me.

I’m glad my little Champ is home. I keep this in my guitar room/office since all my bigger amps are in the basement with the drums and recording gear. I prop it up on a wood stool so it’s right at ear level when I’m sitting in my chair. Great tones just running a Les Paul Junior straight into the amp. One pickup guitar, cable, amp. So simple. View attachment 553821 View attachment 553824
Great to hear it’s back and singing again. Mine is my everyday amp, too. Also my main pedals platform for practice. It’s a beaut, but it has been an almost constant repair patient. Rectifier gone bad, 6v6 gone bad, I put jack repaclenent, probably needs it again as I put 1 is getting finicky again. I love it just the same.

jaydublin

Reaction score
Great to hear it’s back and singing again. Mine is my everyday amp, too. Also my main pedals platform for practice. It’s a beaut, but it has been an almost constant repair patient. Rectifier gone bad, 6v6 gone bad, I put jack repaclenent, probably needs it again as I put 1 is getting finicky again. I love it just the same.
Input not I put

Dilver

Reaction score
How weird, up until this incident with the resistor, which was totally random - I’ve swapped tubes in this thing many times with no problem - I’ve had zero problems. They are cool little amps.

Latest Threads