Converting P-90 Classic to Deluxe - good idea?

DesolationBlvd

Reaction score
As I have a humbucker-equipped and a P-90 equipped Les Paul already, I've toyed with the thought of converting the 2018 Classic into a Deluxe. I like the thin neck and non-weight-relieved body, but am not sure the bridge sound would be that much different from my Junior. Mini-hums would fill a gap in my lineup. And now, the Guitar Center near me has brought the price to a new low. The Pelham Blue is especially tempting.

Would the conversion be as simple as removing the P-90s and installing the mini-humbucker ring and then doing a pickup swap as normal? My other worry is how the cream plastics would look against the white binding.

If this is a bad idea, I'm probably considering another amp or saving until next year to get a PRS.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I've done P90 to Mini and vice versa...but it's been awhile.
IIRC, there's a flat steel plate for mounting the Minis that's not common to the P90s.
Other than that, it's very straightforward.
The route is good for either pickup.
Try one and then the other!
A P90 at the neck and Mini at the bridge is cool.
How about THIS? ;)
001.JPG

Left Paw

Reaction score
As mods go, not too difficult. Just be sure you are happier that way than just buying a Deluxe.

efstop

What the hell's wrong with you?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I converted my '13 Tribute to mini-hums. The plates were there, and they're in the '14 Melody maker, too. Way cheaper for me than buying a Deluxe, but the Trib has no binding, just a fat '50s neck. If you decide to convert, remove the plates and make sure there's a well for the mini-hum screws to drop into.

If I had an '18 Classic gold top, it would likely get converted to mini-hums.

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
Easy enough to do if that sound is what you're hunting for.

Norton

Reaction score
Bad idea. To my ears Mini hb’s on a Les Paul aren’t even half as interesting as p90’s.

On a semi or hollow body? Yes. Firebird mini’s ? Another story again.

My suggestion would be to get a firebird.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did it on my sg....love it...
Not exactly the same thing but the mini hums are awesome...

I would only do it if u have a p90 equipped guitar though....
The mini hums have a very specific range of sounds...awesome sounds but not super versatile
But what mini hums do, they do awesome!!
Will eventually add a third mini hum to it for more versatile soft tones...

full

-Chris

BKS

Reaction score
I want to put the minihumbuckers in my p90 epiphone goldtop but need those plates to install. The epiphone p90 are mounted straight in the wood. Darn those little pieces of metal are expensive, have not pulled the trigger yet....

Renegade

Reaction score
I say go for it...I have a Classic with P90's, a Deluxe with Mini's and a Trad and Custom with Humbuckers. I like the versatility and sounds that each one provides. Plus, having all three style of pickups just adds to the COOL factor IMHO. :cool:

moreles

Reaction score
Obviously, opinions of the two pickups vary. If you've tried mini-hums and prefer them, I would do the changeover. Personally, I like a good set of mini-hums -- Lollar and Seymour Duncan make great sets -- infinitely more than P90's, which I like but do not love, and which I find boring as a player. I'd make the change in an instant, personally, and consider it a massive improvement.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Let me start by saying...
A P90 equipped, Pelham Blue Les Paul is perfection. Don’t touch it.
Source: I own the same guitar.

Now, having said that, I’m going to take this thread sideways. This summer, picked up one of these...

C57C2A48-0146-4DF9-99B7-D1A2CC108D17.jpeg

The gold foil pickups on these are unlike anything I’ve tried. They’re jangly but warm and still have more than enough bite and fullness for rock. It’s really hard to describe but I play in a ‘90s and up, rock cover band. It’ll do everything from Tom Petty and Counting Crows to Foo Fighters and Green Day.

When I bought it, I had a hard time deciding between the 2 and 3 pickup versions. Ultimately, I got the 2 but when I found out you can buy the pickups separately, I’ve been seriously considering equipping my Firebird with the mini-hum sized ones.
Note: These are single coils (field coil), not humbuckers.

https://suprousa.com/product-category/guitar-accessories/pickups/

HamptonPUP-2.jpg

4DE20E9A-93A5-4DE0-8986-9D3DCC491F98.jpeg

1981 LPC

Reaction score
If you play funk and/or soul - go for it. Mini hums are less suited for other styles of music (IMHO).

efstop

What the hell's wrong with you?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad idea. To my ears Mini hb’s on a Les Paul aren’t even half as interesting as p90’s.

Firebird pickups are not the same as mini-humbuckers (as invented by Epiphone and borrowed by Gibson.)

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
I am firm believer in one of each type of pickup. I've got a p90 equipped Norlin Deluxe, and one that was routed for a humbucker/kahler being restored as we speak, and about to have double minihumbuckers. Of course, I already have the third combination I'd be after, a dual humbucker equipped Deluxe.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
You might want to consider just getting another guitar with the minis, and keep the one you've got. I'd like to have different guitars with different sounds to choose from.
Al

Norton

Reaction score
Which is why:
“...firebird mini’s are another story all together”

The Epiphone “mini’s” aren’t bumbuckers but are a single coil pickups with the coil oriented side ways. Gibson used the size and form but made their “version” pretty much like a standard Hb....until they made the firebird mini’s.

The epi NY pickups are weird. But still kind of cool.

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score

I have an SG Special with mini humbuckers which are nice to the ears, probably wouldn’t care for them on a Les Paul as you’ve stated.

2D4777C6-5724-4DB4-89FF-B387E92DC94B.jpeg
24AE60A7-9D59-4B36-BC7A-D4AE04740844.jpeg

Latest Threads