Converting Grovers to “vintage” profile

v-man

Reaction score
Incoming guitar has Grovers, which stick out like a sore thumb. The kidney keys can be swapped out easily enough, but the locking hex collar and washer is another mismatched eyesore. I have had decent enough luck with the Kluson revolution vintage bushing set, but would rather not drill unnecessary holes if a set of keys and bushings will suffice.

any problem swapping out the collar/washer with a bushing like one of these? The pics show hex style, but they also have the rounds.

2377EE9E-F78C-4158-AF42-885268611515.jpeg
AA7AF7E3-E651-4794-BA55-7BD11985E0BF.jpeg

ARandall

Reaction score
It all depends on how much of an 'eyesore' the depressions left in the clear from the Grover washers are going to be to you.

v-man

Reaction score
It all depends on how much of an 'eyesore' the depressions left in the clear from the Grover washers are going to be to you.
Let’s just say, that will be mitigated. So what would the suggestion be?

ARandall

Reaction score
You need to match the bushings with the holes diameter in the headstock

Brazilnut

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just used, as you mentioned, the Kluson Revolutions on a 10mm hole size. Of course I had to drill the extra screw holes. And I just used the screw-in bushings.

Which vintage conversion bushing with the hex heads you use will be dictated by the hole size.

ReWind James

ReWind Electric Pickups Gear & Instrument Services
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, you're going for a vintage accurate look, and you're going to repair the lacquer from the other bushings, but you're considering using conversion bushings with hex nuts built into the front?

None of that adds up, at least to me.

If you care about a vintage correct look, and you are taking it as far as repairing lacquer, you'd be insane to not just plug / redrill / ream the correct holes for vintage correct tuning machines.

Plugging / drilling is an easier repair than the lacquer is.

TN WOODMAN

Reaction score
Must be my age and growing up with a lot of players using them (63 in July) but on Gibsons Grover Rotomatics with kidney beans are still my favorites.

scgarman

Reaction score
Must be my age and growing up with a lot of players using them (63 in July) but on Gibsons Grover Rotomatics with kidney beans are still my favorites.
Apparently Jimmy Page thought they were pretty good. I have them on my 60's LP Standard and like them alot. I rarely have to tune up the guitar. They are rock solid tuners. Whether you like their appearance or not is purely subjective. Personally I would never change them out for Klusons.

kingmlg

Reaction score
bushing repair.jpg

I'm not a fan of conversion bushings. Don't like the look. Just use some veneer wrapped around the bushing and press it in with your thumb. As long as it's not loose, you're good to go. I would never recommend doweling the holes and redrilling. I've had to repair a few botched dowel and redrill jobs done by inexperienced owners. Is your incoming guitar new or used?

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Yeah I settled with swapping out the kidneys for these HIpshot buttons. To at least have the partial traditional look..I've convinced myself that it looks somewhat traditional while having the modern tuning stability of the Grover.

Attachments

• Standard27.jpeg
    Standard27.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 19

Wise Guy

Reaction score
I'm the same way except I tend to associate Sperzels with the LP since my first one had them. To make it weirder, my first Gibson Les Paul I purchased back in the 89 was actually a Japanese lawsuit guitar that someone professionally installed a Gibson veneer on(with Sperzel tuners). I didn't know any better and thought it was an actual LP with weird tuners.

ReWind James

ReWind Electric Pickups Gear & Instrument Services
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never recommend doweling the holes and redrilling. I've had to repair a few botched dowel and redrill jobs done by inexperienced owners.

To be clear, I was not recommending that the job be done by anyone inexperienced. He's talking about lacquer repair. I sure hope he's not attempting any of this himself, without proper tools and experience.

Wrapping veneer around a bushing and expecting it to remain exactly centered in the hole requires thickness sanding the veneer to the appropriate thickness to both wrap exactly one turn around the bushing and also fit firmly in the hole. I don't see how that's something requiring less skill than plugging, personally.

v-man

Reaction score
Wait, you're going for a vintage accurate look, and you're going to repair the lacquer from the other bushings, but you're considering using conversion bushings with hex nuts built into the front?

None of that adds up, at least to me.

If you care about a vintage correct look, and you are taking it as far as repairing lacquer, you'd be insane to not just plug / redrill / ream the correct holes for vintage correct tuning machines.

Plugging / drilling is an easier repair than the lacquer is.
No, those particular listings offered EITHER hex or round

Latest Threads