converting a 2002 to 1959 spec(ish)

badly drawn les

Reaction score
IMG_1016.jpg
[/IMG] Old PAFs often have a "stripey" look to them, where they get more finger & plectrum contact between the strings than under the strings. I've seen people use masking tape to mask out the under-string areas then wire wool or fine sandpaper them, I tried this but the results looked a bit contrived to my eye. I ended up using the micromesh wrapped round a foam block, using the corner to get the "between string" stripes. Looking not too bad.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
IMG_0992.jpg
[/IMG] I'm extremely impressed with these conversion posts from Brown's Guitar Factory , these convert the thread from the modern nashville style to the vintage ABR-1 thread. They are also offset slightly so you have a couple of mm play so you can set the bridge slightly forward or backward, which can help intonation. There is even a tiny grub-screw & allen key lo lock them in place, genius:applause:

badly drawn les

Reaction score
IMG_0994.jpg
[/IMG] Aged thumb-wheels in place & another look at the 'bucker. Whadya mean I've used this pic before?:naughty:

badly drawn les

Reaction score
IMG_0995.jpg
[/IMG] Here's the bridge, may I remind you it's brand new, please excuse my smugness.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
IMG_1035.jpg
[/IMG] A bit of attention to the tuners but don't go mad & damage the internal workings.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
IMG_0871_1.jpg
[/IMG] Almost done now, that's all for today. As is my wont, here's another of the boys, well twins really, both from 1976. Can you spot what the amp is?

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I like it! Next time try take some pictures outside or in natural lighting. It does much more justice to your guitar. It al looks dark on your pics

Fireproof

Reaction score
ACK. Just found this thread, and read through it... Now it's like watching a good show or reading a good book and then getting left with a cliff-hanger.

MORE! MORE!!

Great job so far. Love the pics and commentary. Can't wait to see the final product!

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
And I love your collection. You got all sorts of different guitars, and i like that. There is no point in owning 10 Les Pauls is there :laugh2:

SkyNet3D

Reaction score
IMG_1020-1.jpg
[/IMG]Here's a close-up of the treble bleed cap. I just tried a few from my bits box until I liked the sound. I'm told it's a 100mf capacitor & I like what it does to the neck pup sound. Neck pups on lezzas are too dark sounding for my taste, I never went for the Carlos Santana sound, now it's a brighter snappier rhythm sound.

That's a 1nF cap. A 100nF would be 104. A 100mF or 100uF is much larger capacitance and usually only available in electrolytic capacitors.

chrisuk

Reaction score
This is a great thread - I have started to do something simillar with my '91 ebony standard.

I have swapped out the chrome tailpiece and studs for lightweight faber nickle ones. This made a great impression on the tone of the instrument. Also changed the speed knobs into top hats and will add pointer washers.

I'm now looking for an abr1 conversion for the bridge - I'm thinking callaham on this one.

I have picked out mules with nickle covers for the pups to get rid of the last of the chrome and reduce the output too PAF levels then I will do a 50s rewire with oil in paper caps. Pleased to see you went BKPs - let me know how it sounds.

Not quite as worried about details like the bumblebee looking caps and not considering aging at the moment though.

sharptan

Reaction score
nickelbits.jpg
[/IMG]Check out my bits. The tailpiece is a gotoh aluminium light weight job. The bridge is a new gibson ABR-1. The pups are bare knuckle mules with raw nickel covers (also available in polished & aged) I went for these 'cos, to my eye, they have the most accurate looking covers, along with the dead mint club ones, which are a bit pricy. I picked up the pair for £150 off the old ebay. I do think bare knuckles aged covers look great but I ended up with the raw nickel which need a bit more work. More of my opinions on replacement 'buckers later.

Could you let me know what you think of the Mules please. I'm interested in buying some :)

badly drawn les

Reaction score
That's a 1nF cap. A 100nF would be 104. A 100mF or 100uF is much larger capacitance and usually only available in electrolytic capacitors.

Thanks for clearing that up. not my area of expertise & I already had conflicting answers.

chrisuk

Reaction score
Could you let me know what you think of the Mules please. I'm interested in buying some :)

It looks like I might be able to get my mules for Christmas :) so I am very keen to hear a report as I'm just about to push the button on these.

There are a couple of youtube clips where they just sound fantastic.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nre-ddVAsaQ&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nre-ddVAsaQ&feature=related[/ame]

badly drawn les

Reaction score
Regarding the mules, there is a good comparison with classic 57s on you tube by skaboosh, & a very tasty player he is too. YouTube - skaboosh's Channel I've been through a few 'buckers on my lezzas over the years & generally I'm like the guy on the fast show that likes everything. The only 'bucker that I dislike is the dimarzio super distortion (yuk) that a Hamer I once bought had on. I had a lp classic a while back that had the stock ceramic 500t, this is a hooligan of a pup, big sounding with a raspy edge, I didn't think I'd like it but I did. Next I had a goldtop historic with classic 57s on. nice vintage PAF type sound, lowish output & very classy sounding. I did replace the bridge pup with a classic 57 plus (overwound) but I put the old one back in after one gig, too middly. When I got this guitar it had burstbuckers on, I would describe it as "juicy", a good all rounder & I was perfectly happy with it until I read a magazine shootout that coated the burstbucker & raved about the rio grande genuine texas. So I got one, whacked it in & fired her up & the first thing I played was "gimme all your lovin" which tells you all you need to know. Fairly high output but not too middly, a big hairy arsed rock pup & great fun. Plenty of harmonics & this stayed in my lezza for a good while.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
On to the bare knuckle mules, I'd heard good things about them & as I mentioned earlier, the most authentic looking covers, why can't gibson get it right? They are a pretty accurate repro of a PAF & although I've only tried them through my micro cube at home I could immediately hear a classy vintage PAF like tone, quite bright, which I like & they have that PAF like "hollow " sound. I couldn't stop myself playing "the immigrant song" Lowish output (7.7 & 6.7) & I can't wait to try them at gigging volume. I like to live with a new pup for a few weeks before I make a judgement but the prospects are certainly good. I think they will stay on for a good while. :D

Latest Threads