converting a 2002 to 1959 spec(ish)

badly drawn les

Reaction score
IMG_0921.jpg
Hi, I'm sure there are many similar threads but here is my take on converting my 2002 standard to something approaching 1959 spec. This has been my gigging guitar for a few years but a few features have always bugged me starting with the wiring & caps so I bought some luxe bumble bees to install, then some proper braided wire to replace the crappy thin grey wire. Then I thought while it's stripped down i may as well fix everything thet has bugged me plus relic it:shock: If I can get my head 'round this new site I will share my progress with you & any comments will be welcome.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
IMG_0921.jpg
IMG_0921.jpg
[/IMG] Here is my starting point, a lovely top but way too glossy for my taste & while I'm having a rant, the nashville bridge just looks wrong to me, as do the pick up covers, too rounded at the edge.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
IMG_0919.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0921.jpg
Hi, I'm sure there are many similar threads but here is my take on converting my 2002 standard to something approaching 1959 spec. This has been my gigging guitar for a few years but a few features have always bugged me starting with the wiring & caps so I bought some luxe bumble bees to install, then some proper braided wire to replace the crappy thin grey wire. Then I thought while it's stripped down i may as well fix everything thet has bugged me plus relic it:shock: If I can get my head 'round this new site I will share my progress with you & any comments will be welcome.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Welcome!

Start with putting it in the sun for a while, I cant stand that red :laugh2:

badly drawn les

Reaction score
Dig my pic-nic blanket, right, time to strip it down, lots of grip-seal bags & a cardboard box.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
IMG_0922.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0922.jpg
[/IMG] OK back view, far too shiny & new, this guitar is already 8 years old & has been well gigged.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
IMG_0923.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0923.jpg
[/IMG] Not the best photo I've ever taken but you get the idea. "Put it in the sun" it's november & I'm in London, what sun? but while we're on the subject, has anyone tried putting a guitar under a sunbed, I've been tempted to try it.

L60N

Reaction score
Hi and welcome. :)

More brits is a good thing. :D

Regarding the guitar, whatcha gonna do about the holes in it? :hmm:

Raz59

Reaction score
Now that's a good looking sunburst...I like how dark it is at the edges. Congrats on a nice fiddle.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
IMG_0925.jpg
[/IMG]Right, let's tackle this shiny laquer, I've done my research but do I use a scotchbrite? wet & dry? wire wool? orbital sander? micro mesh? The big question is "what laquer are gibson using nowadays" from what I understand it IS nitro but with plasticisers mixed in to stop checking. A little bird told me that master refinisher Clive Brown uses micro mesh then car wax so if it's good enough for Clive! I've also been told to go lightly so as not to go through the surface. With this in mind & a dish of soapy water I went to work. Crikey this gibson laquer is as tough as old boots, the micromesh hardly made any difference, are you sure it's nitro? I reckon it's poly, similar to PRS. Right, out with the wire wool, stay tuned folks.
IMG_0925.jpg
[/IMG]

TheImmaterial

Reaction score
Don't forget the pickups, tuners, fretboard, inlays, truss rod condom, weight relief, nashville, top carve, refinish, new longer tenon neck and all the plastics too! :naughty:

badly drawn les

Reaction score
lezza2.jpg
[/IMG]
lezza2.jpg
[/IMG]
lezza2.jpg
[/IMG]
lezza2.jpg
[/IMG] I've always been fascinated with this relicing lark & I've learnt plenty this last few days which I will share with you. The crux of the matter is, what finish are we doing it on? Having discovered the gibbo is tougher than we thought I tried something a bit tougher. The scotchbrite (blue one) seemed to make it shinier & too scratchy so forget that. Wire wool (0000 grade) seemed much more appropriate & behaved as I was expecting. So, wire wool them micromesh to get rid of the tiny scratches then wax. But hold on, the wax is making it shiny again, I've just spent 3 bloody hours dulling it down! So out with the wire wool again to get the wax off & back to square one. With hindsight I think the best results are thus. Clean with lighter fluid, a going over with wire wool then work through the grades of micromesh and stop.
lezza2.jpg
[/IMG]

badly drawn les

Reaction score
IMG_0952.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]Here's a better pic. My mind is now turning to checking/patina. I've been dying to try the heatgun/hairdrier then compressed air spray trick for ages so here goes. I got the front nice & hot with the heat gun, then blasted it with the upside down compressed air/freezer spray and....... nothing, bugger all, jack shit. Tha idea is that the unequal rates of expansion & contraction of the laquer & wood causes the cracking but I guess the plasticisers that gibson are using prevents this. Oh well never mind, nurse, pass the scalpel.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
[/IMG] Dont give up on the checking. It should still be possible to cause checking. The plastics just prevent natural checking.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Just take it with you under the tanning bed :naughty:

Just one session wont hurt your guitar. Put a decal somewhere so that you can actually see if it faded when you pull of the decal again.

glynneCicada

Reaction score
I hope for my sake that this isnt going to be a success. If this works out my poor Goldtop will be cringing in fear.

Latest Threads